CBR1100XX.org Forum

front wheel hops when front brake is used

sam3375

I recently change my front tire due to excessive front end hop on braking which I attributed to a cupped front tire. The bike now has a much less severe hop more of an annoyance than the unsettling one it had before. I checked pressure 32psi balanced the tire and changed the fork oil during the tire change and at speed and in turns the bike feels great but when I apply the front brakes the front end shudders slightly and seems to hop up and down. The harder the brakes are applied the more it seems to hop. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks for the help

I recently change my front tire due to excessive front end hop on braking which I attributed to a cupped front tire. The bike now has a much less severe hop more of an annoyance than the unsettling one it had before. I checked pressure 32psi balanced the tire and changed the fork oil during the tire change and at speed and in turns the bike feels great but when I apply the front brakes the front end shudders slightly and seems to hop up and down. The harder the brakes are applied the more it seems to hop. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks for the help

Check the runout on the rotors. It maybe that the rotors are warped .

Just throwing an idea out there.

Also how many miles on the wheel bearings? Check them for a knotchy feel or excessive play. It maybe just enough to feel under the extra load of braking when the weight is transferred.

Good luck.

Also how many miles on the wheel bearings? Check them for a knotchy feel or excessive play. It maybe just enough to feel under the extra load of braking when the weight is transferred.

Good luck.

That sounds logical and the bike has 47,000 miles on it 20,000 plus of which I put on it so maybe its time to change the wheel bearings or at least check them. I will do that and post the results.

Good luck.

That sounds logical and the bike has 47,000 miles on it 20,000 plus of which I put on it so maybe its time to change the wheel bearings or at least check them. I will do that and post the results.

I am Going to say with 47k on the wheel bearing it is time to change both front and back. They are cheap and not hard to do and can save you a real head ache in the Long run.

I am pretty confident that doing the bearings will fix your hip hop... :icon_biggrin:

Let us know how it goes.

My vote is warped rotors. Straight line, corners are Ok.. only happens when you get on the brakes. Rotors would cause this.

On a C10 Concours thats warped rotors..... Harbor frieght sells run out dials..... Good tool to have around when horsepower exceeds 120hp and blasts over 120mph are common.

Usually bearings will howl if they are worn enough to hop the wheel.

I limped my XX home from WVXXT a few yrs ago with bad wheel bearings. Never had braking issues but did notice the front end feeling funky when cranked over in the turns. Wheel up on center stand and front off ground you would hear a slight "irk" sound where it was catching at. Similar to a notched bearing.