CBR1100XX.org Forum

A dip in power under about 5-6000rpm. ( Orginal Blackbird )

PakerT

My bike have a dip in power under about 5-6000rpm. If I give it full throttel the dip feels clearly. But if I accelereate carfully my bike pulls much better and the dip isnt så clear. The same if I rush the engine in neutral.

Its a -98. But I cant imagine that bikes between 97-98 from factory runs better when full throttel isnt used up to about 5-6000rmp?. The diffrens between full end slowley thottel handling is realy clear.

Hope you understand my english :) ( Swedish )

Its a -98. But I cant imagine that bikes between 97-98 from factory runs better when full throttel isnt used up to about 5-6000rmp?. The diffrens between full end slowley thottel handling is realy clear.

Hope you understand my english :) ( Swedish )

The bike accelerates best with WOT even if you feel the dip more at maximum power than on light throttle (since the power is very low then). I have never seen a carbed BB that not has a huge power dip around 5500 rpm.

post-3595-1333518824.jpg

My '97 has stock jets and the flat spot is much less pronounced with my aftermarket slipons than with stock cans. Oh... and I have a K&N filter too. This is at ~1700m above sea level though, so you're probably lower than me.

Wide Open Throttle.

Its true that the carburated birds have a drop in the power curve at that rpm. The bike doesn't slow, but the rate of acceleration does, giving the impression of a slight power loss. It can be corrected by rejetting, but that will decrease your fuel mileage.

If you use full throttle, the dip in the power band is quite noticeable. If you don't use full throttle, the impression is that the dip is not that significant. Be sure your assessment that the bike is slower under full throttle is a timed/measured judgement, not just your seat of the pants impression.

If you've timed the bike and it really is faster using less than full throttle, then you've got a problem. You should first check and change the plugs and air filter, then run a fuel system cleaner such as SeaFoam for a couple hundred miles. If it still runs slower at full throttle, it most probably has a lean mixture at full throttle, and the carbs need to be pulled, inspected, and cleaned. That's the most likely cause if the behavior still persists, but be aware there are other conditions that could be involved as well.

Wide Open Throttle.

Its true that the carburated birds have a drop in the power curve at that rpm. The bike doesn't slow, but the rate of acceleration does, giving the impression of a slight power loss. It can be corrected by rejetting, but that will decrease your fuel mileage.

If you use full throttle, the dip in the power band is quite noticeable. If you don't use full throttle, the impression is that the dip is not that significant. Be sure your assessment that the bike is slower under full throttle is a timed/measured judgement, not just your seat of the pants impression.

If you've timed the bike and it really is faster using less than full throttle, then you've got a problem. You should first check and change the plugs and air filter, then run a fuel system cleaner such as SeaFoam for a couple hundred miles. If it still runs slower at full throttle, it most probably has a lean mixture at full throttle, and the carbs need to be pulled, inspected, and cleaned. That's the most likely cause if the behavior still persists, but be aware there are other conditions that could be involved as well.

This is exactly what I was Going to say.

A few minor adjustments / mods can make a huge difference.

Hei!

Og velkommen til galehuset :icon_biggrin:

I had the same problem with my 97. I put in Dynojet, and after a bit of tuning

we got rid of the dip and about 16 hp more on the midrange :icon_biggrin:

And it used a bit more fule. Almost 1 L pr MIL.

Men sprek som faen :icon_evilgrin:

Det er ikke mange her inne som leser skandinavisk, så mange vil google oversetting.. hehe

Bjørn

My XX is FI, not carbed. So I can't speak to the XX directly.

But, I recently picked up a carbed SV650 that performed as you described.

It had been stored for months with Ethanol based fuel. Seafoam made it better, but not perfect.

I researched rebuilding the carbs and took them apart for a good cleaning. I found one jet to be clogged.

A through cleaning, with no parts needed and the bike rides great.

I spent more time thinking about the job than it took to actually do it. :icon_whistle:

Good luck and post your results.

... I have never seen a carbed BB that not has a huge power dip around 5500 rpm.

I had one! :icon_biggrin: A '98 Candy Apple red.

After I had made several mods, I did, anyway...

The relevant ones were the:

K&N airfilter,

'99 headers,

Yoshi slip ons,

Factory Pro ignition advance (6 degrees, I would have decreased the advance to 4 degrees but couldn't get the crank bolt out again... :icon_whistle: ),

Run on 98RON fuel (or it would ping due to the 6 degree extra advance).

I never bothered rejetting as it wasn't too lean. Just a little, so that it popped on overrun when changing down to stop.

With that done, the dyno gave a (corrected, I believe) reading of 122kW & 123Nm. The torque curve was 120Nm - 123Nm from 3kRPM to 10kRPM and a really nice smooth curve. Power was a straight line up to max. No dips anywhere. :icon_biggrin:

I believe that the '99 headers & Yoshis did most of the work in getting rid of the dip. As engine noise, (down here at least), is measured at 1/2 of the RPM at which max power is developed, it makes sense for Honda to tune the exhaust to suppress excess noise at that point. For the BB, that falls right where the dip is...