CBR1100XX.org Forum

front lift stand w/centerstand?

muff9588

Is it possible or safe to use a front stand with the centerstand? I know the rear tire will have to be removed for the front to lift. I've never used a lift stand, so will the lift stand pull the bike forward knocking it off the centerstand? :icon_think:

I did it....it was shaky at best. It's meant to be used with a rear stand and the center stand just doesn't lift it high enough for GOOD stability.

A rear stand is $40 bucks shipped on eBay and it's the thick tube ones too.

It did pull it forward....but the front stand has wheels so IT scootches backward as you jack up.

It works fine if you put a 2"x4" under the center stand for the extra clearance and make sure not to rock it forward when deploying the front stand. Once up it's pretty solid. This is based on experience using a Pit Bull front stand. Cheaper, less stable front stands may yield different results.

I've done it just the way the OP is asking, but I had my wife hold back on the rear grab rail while I held one hand on the headlight. It is kind of shaky with a "Handy" front stand, but is doable.

If you are doing it for maintenance, I can't say. If for storage to get the front tire off the ground, I do it every winter. Except, I use a couple pieces of PVC under the ends of the fork tubes. It is parked in a corner where it won't get bumped.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I'll now order that stand.

I never have any help in the garage, so things can be a bit difficult. I'm putting on a new set of tires.

I tired jacking the bike up from under the oil pan, but no matter where I put the jack the bike kept tipping towards the right side.