CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID Conversion

Silverbird2

Any suggestions or examples of how you did it?

the hardest part was trying to locate the ballasts the rest of it is pretty straight forward. If you get the new slim ballast's they are much easier to locate . On the 03 i stuck them with double sided tape and then cable tied them to the ram air tubes.

2cents

I'm not sure if the design has changed at all with the current models regarding bulb spacing. Mine needed a shim between the bulb base ring and the housing. A short piece of 7mm spark plug wire used as a grommet is perfect. Beam focus is good there too.

Any suggestions or examples of how you did it?

the hardest part was trying to locate the ballasts the rest of it is pretty straight forward. If you get the new slim ballast's they are much easier to locate . On the 03 i stuck them with double sided tape and then cable tied them to the ram air tubes.

2cents

I stuck mine under the windscreen, in front of the instruments. Used some electrical tape to hold them in place along that metal tube that runs across.

I just ordered some today after putting it off for over a yr.

got the same bulbs in the XX that she came with in '02

my commute into work this morning sucked and really showed how old my bulbs were.

EVLXX's post on how he did it, and Richards pictures of where you can hide the ballasts and a few PM's have been read 5 times this morning to just make sure I completely understand on how to install.

might even see about building me a little deflector cone..

Thanks for putting a link to that thread in, i was looking for that. Someone should pin that thread. Great write up. I bought the 55w 5000k dual bulb, slim ballast kit.

where did you get them from? I ordered from HHD tuning.. $60 for 35W 5000k hids with slim ballasts.

Just got an email from DDM confirming my order and a tracking number..

tracking number just said the stuff was shipped from the People republic of China. :icon_rolleyes:

WTF? Shit bugs the hell out of me when I buy something and they are just a middle man and got to wait for me shit to arrive from the other side of the world. Probably take 2 weeks to get here now.

Yeah no big surprise there. I am thinking that the way Brett mounted his ballast is the way I'm going to try to mount mine. Looks like the easiest to get to. I may even try to have a plate welded to the fairing stay to mount to.

Yep, sitting in front of the fairing brace and behind the winscreen seems like a perfect spot.

I can easily find some thin metal downstairs to bend to sit on the stay, and already got some little 2"X2" things of sticky back velcro I can use to mount the ballasts to the plate.

Now to find a high end car to smash the headlight out of to use their deflector thingy. :icon_whistle:

Almost got myself pulled over tonight- I have DDM 35w 5000k on the busa and found it is almost too bright. Had me checking Indiana Code in case I do get pulled over.

I'd like to see a side by side difference in 4300k vs 5000k.

Now to find a high end car to smash the headlight out of to use their deflector thingy. :icon_whistle:

Go ahead and smash one for me too

If you 2 don't mind waiting for a couple weeks... I might be inclined to make a few more of those shields. I currently have an order in for some special tubing... that may cut the production time down to a somewhat reasonable thing.

then of course I will have to charge you a small fee... for building, packaging, and shipping.... say "A Million Dollars". :icon_lol:

Go ahead and smash one for me too

If you 2 don't mind waiting for a couple weeks... I might be inclined to make a few more of those shields. I currently have an order in for some special tubing... that may cut the production time down to a somewhat reasonable thing.

then of course I will have to charge you a small fee... for building, packaging, and shipping.... say "A Million Dollars". :icon_lol:

I need one

Yep, sitting in front of the fairing brace and behind the winscreen seems like a perfect spot.

I can easily find some thin metal downstairs to bend to sit on the stay, and already got some little 2"X2" things of sticky back velcro I can use to mount the ballasts to the plate.

Just buy a used HID projector housing and lens. You can easily get 2 for $100-150 and then you have a system that you can accuractly adjust, put the light infront of you instead of all around you, and you will not blind others.

ebay or hidforums FS section

Here is a complete bi-xenon kit for $150 (bulbs, shrounds, projector, ballasts) Super good deal if you have headlight, or would like an additional high beam with your halogen.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_i...products_id=927

no problem Eric, I can wait.. hell I been using the stockers for 10 yrs now. A couple weeks or so won't be an issue..

Still waiting for my HID's to arrive from China.

a million bucks? take them in Yen? whats that $3.27 american?

with the price of gas and tires going up I won't be able to afford to ride in the next couple yrs.

$30 to fill up a fucking motorcycle and $260 for a set of shoes each yr. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_wall:

Almost got myself pulled over tonight- I have DDM 35w 5000k on the busa and found it is almost too bright. Had me checking Indiana Code in case I do get pulled over.

I'd like to see a side by side difference in 4300k vs 5000k.

no need to check the code. You modified the headlight and the housing is not DOT approved for HID lights. Big reason why a lot of HID companies are putting "offroad Use only" on their product, and now the light people (forget the official govt name) are going after companies that sell HID systems that were made out of country as they have yet to be approved and looking to fine the companies.

Using Erics shield, and then properly aiming your headlight will reduce the glare and scattered light from blinding others which will not make you obvious to having aftermarket lights. You will loose some light (20%) with the shield. Still brighter than stock bulbs or bright bulbs like Silverstars.

I need one

J, is your low beam the projector? Or is the projector the High beam?

Just buy a used HID projector housing and lens. You can easily get 2 for $100-150 and then you have a system that you can accuractly adjust, put the light infront of you instead of all around you, and you will not blind others.

ebay or hidforums FS section

Here is a complete bi-xenon kit for $150 (bulbs, shrounds, projector, ballasts) Super good deal if you have headlight, or would like an additional high beam with your halogen.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_i...products_id=927

That kit you posted a link to .... would be an incredably difficult retro fit to put into the XX headlight. Then.. I'm not sure you would really gain anything.. over using the DDM tuning Bulb and one of the sheilds I make.

Using Erics shield, and then properly aiming your headlight will reduce the glare and scattered light from blinding others which will not make you obvious to having aftermarket lights. You will loose some light (20%) with the shield. Still brighter than stock bulbs or bright bulbs like Silverstars.

Using the sheild I make... you will not loose ANY of the light that is in the beams focus patern.

The only thing my bulb shield does is stops the unfocused light that is coming off of the end of the bulb. If you look at a standard DOT H7 bulb, you'll see that the tip or end of the bulb is covered with ceramic piant. The HID H& bulbs has no covering, and due to the light intensity and heating issues involved, it can't... so don't go trying to piant your bulbs. They'll crack and break. Again.. hence why I made the sheild.

I live in a town that has the City, County, and State Patrol headquartes all within 3 miles of each other... I pass and follow officers every day.... day and night, and I have never had one of them pull me over because of my headlight.......... again hence why I built the sheild. The sheild STOPS the glare... and puts all of the Light where it was designed to be..... On The Road.

Eric, do have any recommendation? Do you fab any shields for other bikes? Mine is the low beam and is not a projector type.

Eric, do have any recommendation? Do you fab any shields for other bikes? Mine is the low beam and is not a projector type.

The sheild I make fits on the H7 DDM Bulb... and I know it fits into the XX headlight housing.

I have no idea if it could be installed on any other bike that has the H7 bulb....

The XX headlight housing actually has a just a "little bit" of an oversized hole for the bulb, and there in lies the why and how of my bulbs sheilds fitment.

What bike do you have... the Busa ?

If someone could come up with a way to make them that wasnt as involved as the way Eric did it might be worth doing.

J,

I figured I would just make you one.... that way you won't be blinding me in my rear view mirrors. :icon_razz:

It would be like making it for myself in a way.......

Either that or.... I just won't slow down on the straight aways...

LOL.