CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird is killing Batteries!!

jimmystartup

I've done some searching but haven't found any threads on this particular issue. Over the past year my Bird has killed two batteries and just yesterday I purchased a third. They seem to die slowly over a period of months by simply getting weaker and weaker until they no longer will turn the bike over. As soon as they seem a bit weak I've put them on a trickle charger overnight with no luck. When finally dead they are a bit "swollen" upon removal but I can't seem to track down the problem.

The two batteries I killed were Yuasa YTX12BS

There are no electrical leaks when the bike is turned off and when running the bike is charging at 15 Volts. I have NOT installed a voltmeter to see what is happening at different RPM's and figure that is probably a good place to start.

Replaced the RR with one from an R1 about three years ago.

Bike is a 1997 with 46,000 miles. I commute on it daily approximately 8 miles each way.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

A Honda charging system actually charging at +15V? At idle nonetheless? :icon_snooty: I'd have to see it to believe it.... :icon_biggrin: That would certainly be a first!

But seriously, if you're getting +15V at idle, it's probably spiking +18V to +20V at higher rpm. That would explain the swollen batteries. Your going to have to get the voltmeter out to check. If they've been "cooked", the subsequent attempt at charging would do as you describe most likely. The other option is that you've just gotten lucky and won the battery life lottery in reverse. Doesn't usually happen with Yuasa batteries though....maybe Wally World's Magna Power trash, but not Yuasa typically.

Good luck! Electrical and charging problems SUCK !

15 Volts is too high! I would try another new R/R. Also, check the A/C voltage output on the stator. I believe the "Useful threads" section has something about the proper way to test the whole charging system.

Thanks for the replies guys. I broke out the voltmeter and you were dead on, at idle the charge was 15V but spiked up to 19V with higher RPM. I removed the R/R and tested the three leads coming off the stator, a consistent 69V out of each at 500RPM. According to what I've read it seems the problem is the R/R. I have an R1 part on there and guess I'll find another.

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks for the replies guys. I broke out the voltmeter and you were dead on, at idle the charge was 15V but spiked up to 19V with higher RPM. I removed the R/R and tested the three leads coming off the stator, a consistent 69V out of each at 500RPM. According to what I've read it seems the problem is the R/R. I have an R1 part on there and guess I'll find another.

Thanks,

Peter

I'm hoping you meant 69 volts @ 5000 rpm. :icon_eek: Usually runs around 50-55 volts.

That seems a little high as well. Even the R1 R/R may get too hot and fail early, which in turn cooks the battery. Hopefully, someone with a little more experience will weigh-in about the stator output.

You should be getting around 14.5 volts at 5000 rpm, if I recall the number from the manual. BTW, for my SV, it's around 14 volts, also measured at 5000 rpm. 19 is way too high.

I'd get a voltmeter and permanently wire into the electrical system. It will come in handy, especially if you run a lot of accessories like heated clothing. This way, if the voltage drops below 13 volts, you know you have to switch off something in order not to drain the battery.

According to the troubleshoot document I was using, the three leads from the Stator need to be over 50Volts and consistently the same - they did not give an upper range. Yes, I was getting 69 Volts from each lead. Someone pitch in if that is too high.

I've seen readings in the 70 to 80VAC range from good, hot stators running higher rpm's. Sounds like you have a decent output one as long as it is consistent between phases. New R/R and a check to assure good ground connections should put you back in business.