CBR1100XX.org Forum

Expanding the Database

rockmeupto125

A new forum member/owner's post brings to light that we don't have any firm research on definitive dates of color changes for the XX. I tried to figure out a way to put this into poll form, but its too cumbersome, so I'll just ask for posts of the data and we can collate it by hand.

Its common and accepted that in the US, XX's were supplied in only one color each year. '97-black, '98-black, '99-black, '00-titanium, '01-red, '02-silver, and '03 black.

Yes, I know its "candy glory red" and the '03 black is different than the early black. :icon_razz:

So, if you have (or know of) a US spec XX that was manufactured from, say October through January of any of the color change years (that would be '99 and newer) and you have no compelling reason to believe the color was ever changed (or are sure of the original color), please post your DOM both month and year along with the original color of your XX. If you prefer not to divulge information publicly, just PM me. The results will be published here when there's a meaningful sample size and I can get around to it. There will be no links to you or your individual motorcycle...merely a reference to DOM and OEM color. Why October through January? Because those encompass the dates when model changeovers occur. I'm looking for data that helps define the edges of the timeline, not the middle. If you have an XX that defies the generality, please post up regardless of DOM.

Thanks!

Admin note......this thread is pinned not because I'm an admin and want it there, but because I believe its a valid research tool. If you'd like the same consideration for a project, build, or research topic, please just ask one of the admins.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just found this forum. seems to be about honda blackbirds. i bought one last july with 22k miles showing in stock form. i have yet to ride it cause of my legs will not lift up to the pegs. just as i purchased the bike started having leg problems . severe stiffness. been working on get feet on an off the pegs . made some progress but not enough to where its safe to ride. any one know how to cure the overheating these EFI models have? radiator on the bike is like new. fan works but never shuts off when sitting still. i guess it will when riding.  any way would like to be able to start an run the bike with out worrying about over heating. would evans antifreeze do the trick?

I don’t think it is really overheating, just seems like it. Really. It does not like stop and go traffic, but as long as you are moving (AND your cooling system is patent) you should be OK. Get one of those cheap IR thermometers from Lowes and watch it cycle while it is sitting still, you will see.

I have 2 EFI birds, and both have Evans. 76,000 and 113,00 miles. One of them I bought from a board member who thought it had cooling problems. Turns out (I believe) the gauge just flat-out reads hot. IR supports my belief.

emailed the guys at evans antifreeze. here is there reply. had several from them...

Robert:
Without the thermostat housing in my hands I'm at a disadvantage. 
First thought would be to thread the bypass hose nipple for a plugg of some sort. It does not have to seal 100% and a tapered pipe plug might put tooo much pressure on the casting, be careful!

Second would be a plug that fits in the hose ( did not see a good photo of the hose configuration) again it does not have to seal 100% but must stay put. I have had car guys that crafted a gutted thermostat with a spring that held the bypass foot closed all the time, depends how clever you are. 

WHatever you decide to do, make it reversible. Sometimes completely plugging it off does not solve the problem and causes the lower hose to suck shut. This means that a smaller orifice  (restriction) in the plug would help keep the hose inflated with some bypassing coolant. This is definitely trial and error testing.

Good Luck

Dave Wright

--
Dave Wright
Technical Sales Manager
Evans Cooling Systems Inc.
T: 888-990-2665 x207

first one . i sent the second first sorry.

eteta <eteta@evanscooling.com>

11:10 AM (9 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me, tech@evanscooling.com
cleardot.gif

Robert:
Due to the nature of this application just changing to Evans Powersports Coolant (EPC) will not decrease the temperature range you are experiencing. EPC does have a broader safe temperature range than conventional 50/50 mix and will allow modifications to the system that might help the problem.

First change that would be suggested is to remove the thermostat and plug the bypass port. Because the thermostat is a 2 stage bypassing design without plugging the bypass port the coolant will circulate back to the pump rather than to the radiator.

The bypass foot on the thermostat could be some if not all of the issue. If the foot does not close off completely the bypassing hot coolant dilutes the cold incoming coolant to the pump resulting in higher operating temperatures. This problem is normally evident at idle and low speed when pump rpm is low.

Second thought would be to improve the airside of the system (difficult with this application) with better fan, and or increased core capacity of the radiator. These changes should come after the thermostat mods to determine the real problem.

Thank you
Tech Support

• 5 months later...

from memory the seat of my 99 fits my 06 and vice versa.just checked for you.both seats will go on either bikes although it looks like the padding at the front differs.it seems to go higher and a bit more forward on the 06 seat.when i fit the 99 seat on the 06 there is a slight gap between seat and tank.the bases appear the same but i didnt measure them with a tape measure.

Edited by poida
  • Upvote 1