CBR1100XX.org Forum

My turbo bird project. Update!

Musclecar427

I visited Jerry last night. When I saw his GoPro mounted to his tank I thought to myself "This thing is going to be so fast that Jerry wants to record his facial expressions." Upon further review I saw that it was pointed in the direction of his dizzying array of gauges. That makes more sense.
Cool - I'll look forward to watching a video of said array of gauges. :icon_biggrin:

• 1 month later...
My bike is finally done and all I can say is this is by far the worst decision I ever made. $7000 later and only 217 hp. live and learn I guess.

What was your goal hp wise?

217 hp should work great on a road bike. It is more than they use on Isle of Man racers and these bikes are not slow by any means :icon_biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tewwW2IxUEY...feature=related

Drag racing is a different business.

Well I guess i'm a little peeved at the numbers but it just seems like an awful lot of money was spent is all.

I'm sure no one charged you 7 k for a turbo kit. There must be other costs involved that are not a part of the kit.

How does the bike feels now? You are 40 hp ahead of a tuned Busa Gen II, plus the effect of extra power down. I guess it must be super strong since it is not only about peak power, the turbo should provide a huge power increase already at lower RPM's.

Well I have about 5k in the turbo kit and parts and I paid the turbo tuner $1825 to dial it in. Now I just got the bike back late yesterday and drove it home 115 miles. The power and boost is truly incredible. One of the reasons I couldn't get it right(besides the crank was off two teeth) was the manufacturing flaw in the pitot tube. He had to install a separate pitot tube set up in line with the charge tube. The same set up he uses on the snowmobiles. Yes I love it and the power is great but all of the heart aches and trouble I have dealt with since January took it's toll on me. Sorry I sound a little bitter but all is well now.

That appears to be somewhere close to a ... $85 / HP cost ratio.

... Then when you factor in you are making about 80 more HP over stock... consistent, usable, reliable HP... I don't think too many people here are going to argue with the cost results ratio.

Good Job you guys.... excellent work.

Well I have about 5k in the turbo kit and parts and I paid the turbo tuner $1825 to dial it in. Now I just got the bike back late yesterday and drove it home 115 miles. The power and boost is truly incredible. One of the reasons I couldn't get it right(besides the crank was off two teeth) was the manufacturing flaw in the pitot tube. He had to install a separate pitot tube set up in line with the charge tube. The same set up he uses on the snowmobiles. Yes I love it and the power is great but all of the heart aches and trouble I have dealt with since January took it's toll on me. Sorry I sound a little bitter but all is well now.
Knowing the people you're dealing with on this project, you sound awfully bitter.. I'm 100% certain they would go the distance to help you sort out any problems that were kit or design related.

As Joe mentioned, crank was off two teeth?? That's a HUGE mishap and probably explains the additional cost over a normal tuning that would probably typically be in the $500-1000 range, depending on the amount of time required to get it dialed in.

Furthermore, what were the HP levels you expected?? Did you install heavy duty pistons, rods, and clutch parts? Do you have an intercooler or water injection? Do you run high octane? (And no, 91-93 octane pump gas is not in that category..nor is octane in a bottle) 200-220 HP without the aforementioned is a safe number on pump gas.. You've taken a 130-140 HP motor and increased the power by around 160% -- that's an absurd increase on a decade+ old bike!

I'm going to call it like I see it, per the norm, and say that you've been difficult throughout this whole project based on what I have read here, seen deleted here, and now the "bitterness" in your responses in this thread. The folks you're working with are top notch and you're only making yourself look like an ungrateful little bitch.

Jerry is over it. Some unexpected things came up and nobody likes surprises but the bike runs like a raped ape and he's ready to start piling the miles on at this point. Jerry is a real good egg but sometimes things get lost in translation when typed rather than spoken.

eliXXer, Like Magoo said I usually type before I think. Yes I have an intercooler. I was expecting in the 250 260 hp range but it is what it is. Yes I am happy, no I don't have any bitterness towards Hank,Graham or anyone else.

I just want to know if it will pull a wheelie in third gear?

:icon_whistle:

my 02 will do that if you give me plenty of cool crisp winter air.. happened a few times. Now she isn't lofting it up high, but have felt it touch back down after carry the front a couple inches or so. :icon_biggrin:

eliXXer, Like Magoo said I usually type before I think.
That's a habit, not something unchangeable. Ask me how I know. :icon_redface:

I just prefer to have all of the facts out there and responsible parties being responsible for their parts. Hank and Graham both are people I hold in high regard and don't want their reputation harmed without cause.

eliXXer, Like Magoo said I usually type before I think. Yes I have an intercooler. I was expecting in the 250 260 hp range but it is what it is. Yes I am happy, no I don't have any bitterness towards Hank,Graham or anyone else.

Was 260 hp really agreed upon with the seller? It sounds impossible to me that people having experience in this would make a miscalculation of 40+ hp. You need about 14 PSI boost to get 260 whp on a blackbird, a large enough turbo like e.g. TD04 16T, and the necessary support mods to get 260 reliable whp.

Was 260 hp really agreed upon with the seller? It sounds impossible to me that people having experience in this would make a miscalculation of 40+ hp. You need about 14 PSI boost to get 260 whp on a blackbird, a large enough turbo like e.g. TD04 16T, and the necessary support mods to get 260 reliable whp.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.. If you wanted stupid fast response you go with a smaller turbo with less boost.. You want big #'s, you size the turbo accordingly.

Well put..

Don't get me wrong this thing hauls ass. The reason I thought of the higher numbers is because that's what Hank's bike put out. I was informed several times that his is a different turbo and set up. Looks like today is going to be scorcher so no video. Sunday I am going to make several short videos with my go-pro and post them. Stay tuned! (pun intended)

Don't get me wrong this thing hauls ass. The reason I thought of the higher numbers is because that's what Hank's bike put out. I was informed several times that his is a different turbo and set up. Looks like today is going to be scorcher so no video. Sunday I am going to make several short videos with my go-pro and post them. Stay tuned! (pun intended)
Sweet!

Make sure you post some videos as the rider would see it and at least one video of the tacho!

Sounds and looks good. Is max boost during run 1 Bar or 10 PSI? it is difficult to see on the video. I guess it is 10 PSI. Clean gauge setup :icon_cool:

Is the AFR meter out for lunch :icon_think: