CBR1100XX.org Forum

My turbo bird project. Update!

Musclecar427

I'm still trying to come up with a satisfactory way to mount my gauges.

What about suspending them with a bracket from the windshield bolts? They would remain fixed and you could plump them fixed, as they would not need to rotatate.

Only one more item to wait for and it has been sent to me today! Looks like this weekend is going to be busy for me. YAAAAY!

101_0009.jpg

101_0008.jpg

101_0014.jpg

just curious, are these additional parts, or have you been waiting for piece's to complete the kit you ordered, with the exception of the gauges?

Maybe i need to read the whole thread again for info on this kit..ooh lazy me :icon_whistle:

I'm still trying to come up with a satisfactory way to mount my gauges.

What about suspending them with a bracket from the windshield bolts? They would remain fixed and you could plump them fixed, as they would not need to rotate.

I've been rolling something like that around in the back of my head for awhile now, but it's not yet all come together.

• 2 weeks later...

I think she is running rich but it's my last hurdle. I rode the bike today and if I roll on the throttle she pulls like a mother but when I shift into the next gear I have to ease it back on. I can't nail it at all. This much closer though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTGetkdrNuI...eature=youtu.be

• 2 weeks later...
Is this still happening?

Sure is and I guess a quick update is in order.

We started trying to solve a smoking problem. It turned out to be an slightly undersized oil return for the turbo, causing oil to back up in the center section and then get past the oil seals. Graham didn't have this problem with the prototype kit but Jerry did. The specification change will be incorporated in all future kits.

Next, there were a few carb problems. Jerry had a couple sets of carbs apart and was juggling parts and it took a little trial and error to get a set of needles that sealed. Once that was fixed, we started looking at fuel pressure and the fuel pressure regulator. Jerry disassembled it and couldn't find anything wrong so it was reinstalled with the same result...Seemed like to much fuel pressure causing a pig rich condition as boost came up. This can sometimes be cause by a restriction in the fuel return so he chased that around for a while to no avail. Finally connecting a fuel pressure gauge, it showed the proper idle pressure and proper rise in pressure relative to rise in boost....

Al righty then, now what?

Richness going into boost can also be caused by pitot tube sizing/choice of main jets, so we tried changing the internal dimensions of the pitot without much success. Finally, Jerry said lets throw some smaller main jets at it....Me, being the pig headed SOB that I am, couldn't understand why my tuneup wouldn't work on his bike....The 2 setups shared the same design plenum, pitot tube, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator so it can't be the mains, right? I over nighted Jerry sets of mains from 105 through 135 and he thru the 110's in it and tested it. He called me at the end of the day today to tell me what a huge improvement changing the mains made. I told him don't get comfy cause now the tuning starts in earnest. No one gets lucky enough to guess the correct main and we can't afford to melt the motor so it's now time to put it on the dyno.

It has taken a while to get to this point for which I have no excuse. Perhaps the different turbos caused fuel issues, I don't know.

What I do know is that Jerry has worked tirelessly on this project and is about to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Some more tests and we should have a full report...

Hank

We started trying to solve a smoking problem. It turned out to be an slightly undersized oil return for the turbo, causing oil to back up in the center section and then get past the oil seals.

What is the oil return line tapped into in the pan? Also, is there some kind of regulation in the amount of oil that goes to the turbo? (Thinking that I have seen some turbos really smoke when too much pressure reaches the bearings and blow by the seals..)
:icon_whistle:

Common problem in turbo kit designs until it gets 'sorted out'.. Was just trying to give you guys a bit of a warning. :icon_cool:

We started trying to solve a smoking problem. It turned out to be an slightly undersized oil return for the turbo, causing oil to back up in the center section and then get past the oil seals.

What is the oil return line tapped into in the pan? Also, is there some kind of regulation in the amount of oil that goes to the turbo? (Thinking that I have seen some turbos really smoke when too much pressure reaches the bearings and blow by the seals..)
:icon_whistle:

Common problem in turbo kit designs until it gets 'sorted out'.. Was just trying to give you guys a bit of a warning. :icon_cool:

It is common for the "Silverback" to issue a warning....

If unnoticed, a sterner warning generally follows...

Next comes threats and intimidation...

If necessary, a lesson is taught...

I'll try to be more aware... :icon_think: :icon_biggrin:

Thank you Hank for posting and all of your help. Smaller jets= Fun Fun Fun. I do apologize for not keeping up posts but I want to report good not bad like most news stations. I haven't put any serious riding time in yet. I'm off Friday through Monday and the weather is supposed to be great so I will be riding and video recording this weekend. Why is mine so different than Hanks? I don't know, maybe the combination of everything is just that......... different. The bike is so much more powerful than stock, ( I have an identical BB at my shop that I compared it with) I'm tellin you if I kept that 16 tooth front sprocket I'd have road rash on the back of my helmet. All in all a great experience and it's just starting. I will post vids and pictures over the weekend at some point or I'll cut the ride short to change my shorts.. I'm VERY HAPPY!!!! To be continued.......................

Gotta get it tuned...Call me....

Glad we're going in the right direction...

Did I mention to call me???

I have been watching this thread. I added blowers to VW's and my 911 in the 70's.

Listen to Hank. Things are going good, but they can turn bad in a hurry if you don't finish the job.

Thanks for posting this. Some day, when I am no longer Al Bundy, I hope to do this too.

It is common for the "Silverback" to issue a warning....

If unnoticed, a sterner warning generally follows...

Next comes threats and intimidation...

If necessary, a lesson is taught...

I'll try to be more aware... :icon_think: :icon_biggrin:

I'm not sure whether to :icon_lol: at that or :icon_oldman: -- you've got a lot of skills here, Hank, I'm just the peanut gallery thinking through all the mistakes I have dealt with in this kind of project..and that's always a whole lot easier than the guy remote supporting the actual work.

I'm VERY HAPPY!!!! To be continued.......................
That's great!

Now be sure to follow what Hank is saying and get the thing tuned.. I've also seen what a momentary lean condition can do to a person's wallet...more than once. :icon_sick:

I talked with Jerry this morning and emphasized just how important tuning is at this stage.

I also let him know I found a very experienced dyno guy with a lot of turbo experience within 100 miles of where he lives.

I've been promised that will happen in the very near future.

He is going to do a little riding over the long weekend and frankly, considering what a PITA this whole process has been for him, I really can't blame him. He has an Innovate Motorsports A-F gauge , a boost gauge, and will be mounting a fuel pressure gauge and a tank cam. Lets hope Tuesdays ride report is miles of smiles and no melted, broken parts...

Hank

I visited Jerry last night. When I saw his GoPro mounted to his tank I thought to myself "This thing is going to be so fast that Jerry wants to record his facial expressions." Upon further review I saw that it was pointed in the direction of his dizzying array of gauges. That makes more sense.