CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turbo kit for Blackbird

grahamcuk

As I have had a number of people ask I am looking into a very Basic low pressure kit that will make around 180-190 bhp that not will require the headgasket fitment using a T15 or GT15 turbo, it will be a non-intercooled and run 4-5 psi boost and should have almost no lag.

More detail soon on the fast road and Extreme kits HankXXX and I are working on ..........

Graham

:icon_naughty::icon_biggrin:

got 40 or 50 questions, as I never messed with adding a turbo to a bike, just playing on the big toys at work that come with them.

Feel free to ask away, either here or by PM or by phone if you want...Hank

guess I will ask here just in case someone else might have questions

for my FI bike what will be done to the PC and the map currently loaded onto it

will it be hidden giving the bike a sleeper look?

will the cooling system of the bird handle it or need to run something else in the system?

Can I still run my dual Leo Vince pipes? slip-ons not full..

Can I ride in the rain with it? Anything from light sprinkle to insane pour down.

We can use your PC and will supply a base map.

I am going to advise everyone that a true dyno tuning session should be scheduled after install as all bikes differ.

The supplied map should be very close and "may" require nothing more than an adjustment here or there but a tuning session is necessary to be sure.

The system will be hidden and very stealthy.

The cooling system needs no changes after the turbo install.

As a matter of fact, the systems with the lowered compression may run cooler.

Any slip on muffler that will bolt up to the stock BB connectors will bolt up to this...

A bung for an A-F ratio gauge is also provided. Use of same is encouraged.

Riding in the rain should be no problem. Graham has the air filter located in the left side of the nosecone.

If a problem ever arises, the addition of an "Outerwears" should resolve it. (Goretex rain sock)

That's only 5...I'm disappointed.....lol

Happy to answer any others.

Hank

The Velocity Shack Turbo kit for the Blackbird

I would just first like to point out that the names Velocity Shack , Velocityshack.co.uk and Velocityshack.com are owned by myself ,Graham Codling (grahamcuk) and are not involved with, affiliated to or other way connected to any company , person or body using the word Velocity in there name or title.

So this is how the song sheet will go......................... From prices will be posted ASAP...

Very shortly there with be available a new Turbo kit for the Blackbird.

Kits will be available for Carbie, early Fi and late model Fi and can be supplied as full kits or part by part and with or without turbo, so you can source your own new or second hand locally.

All kits will be built to order only and due to the number of option available across the model range will be spec'ed and price individually.

Any kit can be upgraded to the top spec by adding in the relevant parts.

The Kit will be sold in the US, Canada and South America though HankXXX, (my partner in this venture) and myself in the UK and EU.

Hank and I have been working on this for some time, Hank has worked with CP in the development of a Turbo spec piston for the Blackbird and combining them with the stock length Carrillo rods and the 0.075" Cometic head gasket or using the 2mm shorter rod with a stock thickness Cometic head gasket makes of a very robust bottom end.

Note: All kits will require a small amount of additional modifications to the bike at the time of fitting. Clear instruction will be give on what is required for each kit.

The turbo supplied with a kit will be adjusted for the application, kits supplied without a turbo will be supplied with instructions on how to clock and fit the unit.

Entry level Priced from TBA

A basic low pressure kit that will make around 180-190 bhp I will require the fitting of a 0.075" head gasket. Can be supplied with the Garrett T15 or the better GT15 turbo, non-intercooled and running 4-5 psi of boost and should have almost no lag. Power commander supplied on Fi models

Supplied with clutch spring upgrade.

Fast road Priced from TBA

6- 10 psi kit. Will require the fitting of a 0.075" head gasket. (Supplied with kit). Can be supplied with Garrett T25, GT2252 turbo or GT25R this setup is intercooled and will make around 190 -250 bhp.

Supplied with clutch spring upgrade, lock up clutch supplied as an option. Power commander supplied on Fi models

Extreme Road / Race Priced from TBA

10 psi plus kit. Will require the fitting of CP Turbo spec piston and combining them with the stock length Carrillo rods and the 0.075" head gasket or using the 2mm shorter rod with a stock thickness head gasket. Kit can be supplied with Garrett GT28R turbo.

Lockup clutch supplied with kit

Note: The fitting of an extended Swingarm is recommended.

Please read and understand this:

Turbocharging any engine increases the stress on the motor, we have taken every care to tailor each level of kit and put in the safe guards for each level of kit. We except no responsibility for failure to fit the kit correctly , observe the safe guards or ride the bike within the limits set out for that level of kit which may result in damage to the motor, bike or rider. You have been warned!!!!

P.S we except no responsibility for how much fun you will have upsetting 14 and Busa owners

Hank

just wait.. I don't have the kit sitting on my work bench yet :icon_evilgrin:

I am not looking to drag race my bike, just give it a little kick in the ass from time to time. So the basic kit is perfect for me.

Will a cool down period be needed before shutdown to prevent coking of the turbo?

I am currently mapped for use of 87 octane, will 87, 91, 93 or even higher fuel octane be needed with basic kit?

can I blame you guys for even worse tire wear than I already get?

Hank

I am not looking to drag race my bike, just give it a little kick in the ass from time to time. So the basic kit is perfect for me.

Will a cool down period be needed before shutdown to prevent coking of the turbo?

I am currently mapped for use of 87 octane, will 87, 91, 93 or even higher fuel octane be needed with basic kit?

I never worried about cool down...the reality of riding one of these is boost is used very little.

Current mapping will be removed and a generic map supplied along with the disclaimer that a dyno session to confirm A-F ratio be done prior to using boost.

Turbo's insist on the best pump gas available...kiss the cheap stuff goodby.

It is OK if you're out in the boonies to use a lower grade, just don't use boost till you burn that tank off and refill with 93 octane.

Sure you can blame us... :icon_twisted:

I've used 8 sets of Pilot Powers on my turbo and average 4500 miles per set....YRMV

Sounds like you'd require a new turbo to go from the entry kit to the fast road. I'm guessing that will be a substantial cost.

I'm really interested in turboing the xx. The shitty thing is I'd have to travel 2000Km to get the bike dyno tuned.

Sounds like you'd require a new turbo to go from the entry kit to the fast road. I'm guessing that will be a substantial cost.

Not necessarily, if you get the basic kit with an upgrade Gt2252 with the 4-5 psi actuator the bike with run nicely at the 4-5 psi. later the 0.075" head gasket could be fitted along with an intercooler or water injection and the boost could be safely turned up with a boost controller to around 240wbhp.

Hank

I never worried about cool down...the reality of riding one of these is boost is used very little.

Current mapping will be removed and a generic map supplied along with the disclaimer that a dyno session to confirm A-F ratio be done prior to using boost.

Turbo's insist on the best pump gas available...kiss the cheap stuff goodby.

It is OK if you're out in the boonies to use a lower grade, just don't use boost till you burn that tank off and refill with 93 octane.

Sure you can blame us... :icon_twisted:

I've used 8 sets of Pilot Powers on my turbo and average 4500 miles per set....YRMV

I switched to BT016's with the triple compound and get 4500 for a high mileage number.. other tires I was only getting 3000 or 3500 from a set.

ok, so no cheap stuff in the tank.. What about fuel additives? I like to add some seafoam or lucas treatment to keep the system clean, that OK?

Also what about ethanol fuels. Almost impossible to find non ethanol fuels.. I imagine non would be best but mapped with fuel containing ethanol is just something to live with.

does the package include a boost guage?

Specifically , what gt12 are you going to use ? I`ve found compressor maps for gt12 41mm 50 trim , 4-5 psi puts you outside of compressor map , below and to the right . I would be highly inefficient at those boost levels .

What about turbine section ?

Specifically , what gt12 are you going to use ? I`ve found compressor maps for gt12 41mm 50 trim , 4-5 psi puts you outside of compressor map , below and to the right . I would be highly inefficient at those boost levels .

What about turbine section ?

Sorry I really should type with my glasses on when I'm reading from my hand written notes. LOL I have edited it now , the 12 in the wrong flange as well , the GT1548 is the smallest one with the right flange.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers

Graham

You know, I was really wanting a larger pipe out of the turbo back to the "U" for the duals. Could flatten it to the od of the "U" making a oval hole. Maybe like 3" Overall diameter tube out of the Turb.

Would that be a posible?

You know, I was really wanting a larger pipe out of the turbo back to the "U" for the duals. Could flatten it to the od of the "U" making a oval hole. Maybe like 3" Overall diameter tube out of the Turb.

Would that be a posible?

Whats your reasoning Stan?

Would that be a posible?

I'd guess that he wants the dual exhaust look.

Would that be a posible?

I'd guess that he wants the dual exhaust look.

Well welcome stranger...how are ya Dean?

Nope, the pipe leads from the turbo to a muffler or to a Y pipe to duals as an option.

I thought Stan was asking for a 3" pipe to go back to the Y pipe or where it splits for dual mufflers...