CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engineered Bamboo Work out room

TeXTrain99

I got a hell of a deal on some USFLOORS BAMBOO flooring at Lowes a couple of months ago. A pricing mistake on thier part led to me being able to get 1400 sq ft bamboo at about $0.40 per sq ft.

I had about 500 sq ft installed already in a rent house. The guys that did the install did OK. But only ok. I'm not unhappy with the install for a rent house.

Now I want to have a couple of rooms in my house installed. I'll definetly go with a different contractor and pay a bit more to make sure the install is all I want it to be.

One of the rooms we're reflooring is the work out room. 12'x16'. I'm curious if any of you guys are aware of a special underlayment that is designed for athletic floors that can be used under this tongue-groove floating bamboo. When ever I've talked to freinds and family about flooring the work out room several have refferrred to a special underlayment but nobody knows for sure what it is or does specifically.

I figure the weights area will have to have the rubber flooring mats on top of the bamboo. But I am concerned about the area where I might, possibly, conceiveably, perhaps, maybe some day in the possible future do a P90X type work out. I want to make sure the floor has some give as my flabby out of shape self jumps up and down on it.

I got a hell of a deal on some USFLOORS BAMBOO flooring at Lowes a couple of months ago. A pricing mistake on thier part led to me being able to get 1400 sq ft bamboo at about $0.40 per sq ft.

I had about 500 sq ft installed already in a rent house. The guys that did the install did OK. But only ok. I'm not unhappy with the install for a rent house.

Now I want to have a couple of rooms in my house installed. I'll definetly go with a different contractor and pay a bit more to make sure the install is all I want it to be.

One of the rooms we're reflooring is the work out room. 12'x16'. I'm curious if any of you guys are aware of a special underlayment that is designed for athletic floors that can be used under this tongue-groove floating bamboo. When ever I've talked to freinds and family about flooring the work out room several have refferrred to a special underlayment but nobody knows for sure what it is or does specifically.

I figure the weights area will have to have the rubber flooring mats on top of the bamboo. But I am concerned about the area where I might, possibly, conceiveably, perhaps, maybe some day in the possible future do a P90X type work out. I want to make sure the floor has some give as my flabby out of shape self jumps up and down on it.

I don't think you want your floor to be squishy. If you need something to jump around on put down some mats after you have the floor installed. I know for sure that if it were nail down installers would absolutely not want any underlay that has any give to it at all. For our wood floor they only used plastic sheeting for a moisture barrier. I actually had some of the sound deadening stuff and they told me to take it back.

Well it isn't nail down or glue down. IT is a floating floor, tongue-n-groove type floor.

One of the contractors that has given a bid to install said about the same thing...just moisture barrier.

Probably be the way we go.

I think the floating floors might actually be different now that I think about it. A friend has a floating floor. Its a high grade laminate and it actually had a thin back pad pre-applied to the pieces. I helped him install it. You just basically snapped in more pieces then cut when you get to the end of a row.

Since its floating if you don't have something behind it it could potentially be noisy and hollow sounding.

The reason you don't want any give with nail down is to prevent squeaks from the wood moving against the nail.

If you have a good installer you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I'm sure it is going to look great.

• 4 weeks later...

After speaking with several contractors and getting thoroghly confused and irritated, I finally found a guy that walked me through the whole thought process and then took me to a house he had just done with almost the exact same floor. We are going wih the glue down option. IT is a little bit more than floating the floor but think it will be the better long term option. Definitely better in the work out room.

The crew is supposed to be here the Monday after Thanksgivinhg and will take two days to do three rooms (557 sq feet). Wife and I have a bet on when they will really be done. I have Friday, she it taking Wednesday. We'll see.

• 4 months later...
After speaking with several contractors and getting thoroghly confused and irritated, I finally found a guy that walked me through the whole thought process and then took me to a house he had just done with almost the exact same floor. We are going wih the glue down option. IT is a little bit more than floating the floor but think it will be the better long term option. Definitely better in the work out room.

The crew is supposed to be here the Monday after Thanksgivinhg and will take two days to do three rooms (557 sq feet). Wife and I have a bet on when they will really be done. I have Friday, she it taking Wednesday. We'll see.

Hey where are the pics?