CBR1100XX.org Forum

2003 Blackbird gets hot after normal ride.

HGBLACKBIRD

Everything is 100% stock. everything is good/up to specs with the overall cooling system (I am reasonably sure...),

but at idle, (Especially after normal riding...) it gets up to 225 degrees Farenhiet way too fast! As far as I know, all of the system is functioning correctly...

Is there any.... Clean?,.... simple?,....(Not so simple/easy?...) easy?... fixes to have it run cooler at idle after a ride?

Radiator is clean, I have tried Redline Water Wetter, fresh 150.000/Five year quality 50/50 mix Name Brand Antifreeze,.... etc. :icon_frown:

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Even if no-one is able to help, Thanks!

P.S. I have both the Factory Honda Service Manual, and the Haynes Service / Repair Manual.

Everything is 100% stock. everything is good/up to specs with the overall cooling system (I am reasonably sure...),

but at idle, (Especially after normal riding...) it gets up to 225 degrees Farenhiet way too fast! As far as I know, all of the system is functioning correctly...

Is there any.... Clean?,.... simple?,....(Not so simple/easy?...) easy?... fixes to have it run cooler at idle after a ride?

Radiator is clean, I have tried Redline Water Wetter, fresh 150.000/Five year quality 50/50 mix Name Brand Antifreeze,.... etc. :icon_frown:

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Even if no-one is able to help, Thanks!

P.S. I have both the Factory Honda Service Manual, and the Haynes Service / Repair Manual.

1. Is your radiator fan running when it gets this hot?

This is critical. I've seen many bikes where the cooling fan fails to kick on or kicks on too late to stop overheating issues. Many riders wind up installing a bypass switch for the cooling fan. Basically run a wire from the sensor wire to a switch and then from the switch to ground. Flip the switch when YOU think the fan should come on. I don't know why one-wire temp sensors tend to go buggy, but they do.

225 ain't that hot and isn't anything to worry about. It's pretty normal for an XX at idle or in traffic to see those temps.

That said, if there's no risk of freezing I'd suggest going to straight distilled/deionized water with Water Wetter. Pure water does a better job of heat transfer than any antifreeze.

225 ain't that hot and isn't anything to worry about. It's pretty normal for an XX at idle or in traffic to see those temps.

That said, if there's no risk of freezing I'd suggest going to straight distilled/deionized water with Water Wetter. Pure water does a better job of heat transfer than any antifreeze.

Thank you for your post. It is the plus... that gives me concern... I do realize the cooling efficiency of pure water (especially with a lower surface tension factor...), but I also want to do a good job of protecting the aluminum internals from any corrosion.

(Also, my 97' Bird seems... [no digital read-out...] to run much cooler.)

THANKS!

Water Wetter contains corrosion inhibitors. I used to run straight water/Water Wetter in my XX during the summer and have run nothing else in my track bike for three years and thousands of miles- no issues with corrosion.

How hot is it getting and under exactly what conditions? The impression is the FI bikes run a little hotter, but it's hard to say for sure with the different gauges. For reference, 250 is "in the red" on the models equipped with the digital gauges. I never saw over 240 except in cases of extended stop and go riding or extended idling after running the motor even a little harder than normal.

Seen mine flashing and 257 I think.. The overflow tank was empty. refilled and I run straight antifreeze. Never a problem since. Burp the rad which can be the problem...With where I live and the temps, Ya'll should never see that.

Cold, remove the rad cap and start with bike on the side stand. Warm up and wait till flow is seen. Shut off and refill, and reseal. confirm over flow is at aproper level.

I`m not entirely convinced Water Wetter provides adequate long term anti-rust protection . The water pump took a dump on my track bike , it was actually funny , coolant was leaking from the middle of the oil pan . :icon_scratchhead:

On R1 oil pump/water pump is one unit and is located inside of the oil pan - PITA to replace it BTW - and bleed tube exits thru the oil pan . It looked like it was leaking from one of the bolts .

Anyway , the pump failure was caused by the corrosion on the main shaft which took the seal out .

YMMV.

Water Wetter contains corrosion inhibitors. I used to run straight water/Water Wetter in my XX during the summer and have run nothing else in my track bike for three years and thousands of miles- no issues with corrosion.

How hot is it getting and under exactly what conditions? The impression is the FI bikes run a little hotter, but it's hard to say for sure with the different gauges. For reference, 250 is "in the red" on the models equipped with the digital gauges. I never saw over 240 except in cases of extended stop and go riding or extended idling after running the motor even a little harder than normal.

It can easily reach 230f + at which time I do whatever I can to cool it down.

I make... frequent... trips to Tampa (100 miles each way.. ) The ambient air temp is often in the mid 90's.

I usually make the trips at 5,000 RPM to no more than 5,500 RPM. Then off the interstate to surface streets for a few miles.

When I get down to 15 to 20 MPH, it gets really up there fast. (The bike temp)... To me, going from 180f on the highway to

plus 45 or 50 degrees hotter seems like too much of a change in temp. Maybe that is okay, but it seems to be too much of an

increase in the Temp to me.

So, I need to make sure that the fan IS functioning,... and that the coolant system is fully "Burped".

Birds do not like slow speeds. Not enough air flow.

I have noticed that even running at 50 mph in traffic that the temp starts going up to about 205 or higher when I am running behind another vehicle. If I get in front of the vehicle but still maintain the same speed , the temp drops back down.

My fan cuts in at 216 and the highest I have seen is 225. If sitting in slow moving traffic, I try to keep the revs above 4000 rpm, which speeds up the water flow.

I also tend to shut it off at long lights.

Classic case of not enough airflow and too small a rad and fan.

My 2003 does not like the heat either. In Texas when it was 105+ I ran in the 220's in traffic on a regular basis and even hit 250 a few times. This is normal. Keep your revs at 2,000+ and you will charge the battery equal to what is being used to run the fan. This is the advice I was given when I bought it - and it is true.

The guys on this forum are the best!

Kazi

Birds do not like slow speeds. Not enough air flow.

I have noticed that even running at 50 mph in traffic that the temp starts going up to about 205 or higher when I am running behind another vehicle. If I get in front of the vehicle but still maintain the same speed , the temp drops back down.

My fan cuts in at 216 and the highest I have seen is 225. If sitting in slow moving traffic, I try to keep the revs above 4000 rpm, which speeds up the water flow.

I also tend to shut it off at long lights.

Classic case of not enough airflow and too small a rad and fan.

Yep... It can be 85 deg outside and if there is a slow car in front of me my temps will get up to 215 in a hurry and can even hit 220 if there too long. I move to the side of the lane and get into some clean air my temps will drop back down pretty fast.

I will pipe in here myself.

My 2001 Fast Red Bird has hit 250 degrees a couple times.

I have flushed the cooling system and refilled with "Engine Ice" and also once with "Water Wetter"

I have now gone back to OEM Honda coolant mix as prescribed by Honda.

I have never seen any temp changes regardless of the coolant used.

I do like the other Honda additives that you get with the Honda coolant.

IMHO stick with Honda coolant and stay out of town! Let her legs loose

a bit and her temps will stay down!

OOPS! I Posted above/below?... here somewhere on the page.... still learning how to use the forum/reply.

Someone here is RIGHT!... This is an EXCELLENT forum with some very knowledgeable/very helpful people!

(Over 200,000 miles on my Blackbirds,... almost all GOOD ones!