CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stator/Rectified testing

KaziXX

Updated to incorporate correction and addition

My battery died on me Friday, I replaced it with a Batteries Plus gel model and left it on the battery tender all night. Today as I am riding around I noticed from my voltage monitor (aftermarket) that the battery was not charging while engine was at 4,000rpm. I rode home and tested the regulator/rectifier and there was no continuity with the green and ground wires coming from the rr. I checked the stator as indicated below with the battery at 12.79v.

Update - when measuring the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator - I found this -

Wires 1 & 2 at idle 6-7vac and rev up to 4,000rpm 19 vac

Wires 2 & 3 at idle 3.5vac and rev up to 4,000rpm 3.8 vac

Wires 1 & 3 at idle 9.5vac and rev up to 4,000rpm 21 vac

It seems that the rr is bad and not the stator - right?

MR. Hobiscus' testing procedure

Always start charging system tests with a fully charged battery!!!

1) The stator will have 3 wires coming out of it. Usually they're Yellow. Locate where they connect to the Regulator/Rectifier, and disconnect it.

2) Start the bike.

3) Take an electrical meter, set it to AC Volts. Measure voltage between any 2 of the wires. You should get 15+ volts across them at idle, and when you rev up the bike, it should quickly climb to anywhere from 40 to 80 volts.

4) Check all possible combinations. If you don't get voltage, or get nearly none, the stator is bad.

Every other test you can do (continuity to ground, resistance between the pins, etc) won't answer the question: Am I getting output from the stator?

If you're getting output from the stator, and the connectors look good, your Regulator/Rectifier is most likely bad

When my stator started failing I had 55v on 1&2 and 2&3 but zero in 1&3 - it still charged enough somehow to run the bike and basic services - if the radiator fan switched on the battery would discharge. The RR crapped out so I replaced both and the stator was pushing close to 60v on all 3 circiuts - the yammy '01 R1 RR (which was acksherly a R6 RR on the same part number from the stealership) charges at 15v at anything over 2500rpm which is fine by me.

New stator and RR are prescribed

Updated to incorporate correction and addition

My battery died on me Friday, I replaced it with a Batteries Plus gel model and left it on the battery tender all night. Today as I am riding around I noticed from my voltage monitor (aftermarket) that the battery was not charging while engine was at 4,000rpm. I rode home and tested the regulator/rectifier and there was no continuity with the green and ground wires coming from the rr. I checked the stator as indicated below with the battery at 12.79v.

Update - when measuring the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator - I found this -

Wires 1 & 2 at idle 6-7vac and rev up to 4,000rpm 19 vac

Wires 2 & 3 at idle 3.5vac and rev up to 4,000rpm 3.8 vac

Wires 1 & 3 at idle 9.5vac and rev up to 4,000rpm 21 vac

It seems that the rr is bad and not the stator - right?

No, the stator was bad.... You were seeing less voltage than you should at idle, and when you rev it up. One of the combinations (2&3) wasn't putting out anything (3.8 v at 4000 rpm is nothing). It was a good plan to replace the RR anyway, but I'd hook it up and test it with the new stator, and if it's working, set it aside as a spare.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a similar boat right now too so I appreciate this thread.

I dug out the old multimeter that was stolen from my high school oh so many years ago (20? wow). It was a good thing to steal; for Radio Shack gear, it's worked fine for all the neglect it's gotten from me over the years.

Anyways, I got 17.X V AC at idle from all combos of the yellow wires and 50+ V AC at 4000 rpm.

The r/r tests seemed a bit confusing for my feeble brain so upon consultation with some other online moto guru's I'm gonna order a new Honda r/r on Tuesday first thing, with crossed fingers.

Odd timing, but I went to go for a ride the other night and found a dead battery. I put the trickle charger on for a bit, tried to start it and it started! Yeah, right? Just to make sure all was well I put a voltmeter on the battery and saw the voltage increase, then fall back to the low voltage the battery started with. Huh? I decided the ride was not going to happen, and left the battery on the charger overnight. I replaced a completely fried R/R last year, or this spring, can't remember, so I thought it couldn't be that. I felt it while I had the bike running and it was HOT! It took only about one or two minutes to get that hot too, so I knew something was up. Next day the battery was charged up fine (now that I have a replacement ordered!), but had the exact same results, it seemed to be charging ok, then just stopped altogether. So today I take off the tail section, disconnect the R/R, and test the 3 yellow wires coming off the harness. Result? Across the board 0s. Nothing at all. It seems unlikely that would happen, so now I'm paranoid I am somehow not doing something right, even though it seems very easy. Before I order a $200. part for nothing I wonder if someone can tell me if I'm missing something. Help?

Thanks in advance!

Alan

Oh, and Ron Ayers seems to have the best price for a stator at $203., does anyone know of a better price anywhere else?

It seems the only problems I've ever had with my bike have been electrical and charging related....

Alan

I found a stator and r/r at Rick's Motosport (800) 521-0277 in New Hampshire - in stock. The stator cost $140 and r/r $120. Overnight shipping to TX $64.75.

Kazi

Was it a Honda OEM or another brand? That is s significant savings! Thanks....

Went back out and started over, got around 15 vac at idle and in the 50s @ 4K rpm, so I am pretty sure my "new" R/R is toast. The place I bought if from was a place in Canada called RMStator, they do nothing but electrical stuff for motorsports, thought they sounded good. No answer to phone or e-mails so far, I'll give them some time to make good on their warranty. Oh, and it only cost $70. for the R/R. A good deal if it works, not so good if it's fried already!

Alan

I've heard good things about RM stator making good on their warranties, and also that they need to.

Not only Hondas have week charging systems. The RR on my GS550 died last week. I think it was because I had connected the negative wire from the RR to a frame ground instead of to the battery negative. Anyway, that wire failed on the diode test and the RR is toast. Fortunately, there is no damage to the stator.

BTW, here is a good fault-finding chart for the charging system: The Stator Papers

So I emailed Jack at roadstercycle.com and $137 later, a complete Shindengen MOSFET RR kit with all connectors pre-installed is on its way, priority mail. Supposedly the MOSFET technology is a permanent fix for the Overheating Rectifier Blues.

This is a plug for Jack: He even called me on the phone yesterday to help me decide which kit to order and to assure that his priority mail shipments almost always get delivered within 2-3 days, and that he's dropping off this week's shipments at the PO before work today. Very nice guy, does the MC work in his spare time from his day job.

I've got a Honda OEM r/r on the way (to arrive at local dealer on Friday) for $202 CDN ($235 taxes in).

It looks like my bike might have the original battery in it (YUASA with Honda logo on it) which is still bench testing fine; 12.8 V DC days after being taken off the charger and I took it into a local shop who load tested it for me.

If the battery is actually shit, can I fry my new r/r by running them together?

thx

• 3 weeks later...
I found a stator and r/r at Rick's Motosport

Was it a Honda OEM or another brand? That is s significant savings! Thanks....

Ricks are aftermarket not OEM although I believe they have quite a good reputation :icon_confused:

If the battery is actually shit, can I fry my new r/r by running them together?

You can if the battery is completely FUBAR and puts extra load on the R/R trying to charge it all the time, get her running and see if it's got over 14.5v @ 4000rpm from memory :icon_think: