CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can I skip valve clearance check @ 30K?

BarryG

First off let me point out that I'm not doing this myself nor do I want to learn how. I suck as a mechanic and am happy not to fuck up my bike with the harder stuff.

So at 28K mi the same shop/mechanic I've used for 6yrs doing the following to my '98 XX:

flush fluids

new brake pads front/rear

new fork oil (been 3.5 yrs)

check air filter.

check CCT-install APE possibly

Bike is running great. So wondering if I need to add the hefty expense of valve clearance check? I know it's good insurance but isn't it very rare for Bird's to need adjustment? I don't think my bike has ever had a valve clearance check either.

Thanks for any feedback.

Rougher running is about it until they are way out of adjustment and the exhaust starts to pop...then its too late and you've probably burned a valve. That's why its a scheduled maintenance rather than a fix it when needed sort of thing. They wear gradually and changes in performance don't seem that noticeable.

If they're way loose there's usually an audible ticking consistent with a rotating engine part, but they don't wear loose, they wear tight.

thanks for replies. Bike is running really smooth as far as I can tell. I just figured I'd wait till 35 or 40K miles. I definitely don't baby it though. I ride it fairly hard....like you're supposed to :icon_evilgrin: if that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

54K miles before I killed mine. Bike was "running great!"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Continue to drive until smile fades from face, then take it in to make smile return.

(I killed mine by crashing.. it was fine until parts were scattered across a mountainside."