CBR1100XX.org Forum

stomp style tank grip pad

just recieved new tank pads in the mail. I had the stomp grip pads, but found them a tad too aggressive for thiner riding pants. Also, they were so large the edges began to peel. So, jerked them off and cussed something about how retarded expensive they are. I searched for something better and found this. Its small circle pads, but the texture is a tipless diamond. Offers plenty of grip, but no too much. The vinyl is a Tad thinner than stomp, so im gna assume it wont try to roll up at the edges as easily. Adheisive is 3m of course. Best part is, they only cost me $15 shipped. heres an image. I found them on ebay from overseas. http://stores.ebay.com/1729mily

post-3948-1310577170.jpgpost-3948-1310662596.jpgpost-3948-1310662595.jpg

Installed fine, no bubbles under film after 1 hr. Rode them with my work uniform on, very mild on the skin but plenty of grip. WIN WIN!

• 1 month later...

An update on the stomp pad. Still stickin strong, no bubbles. Lovin the medium grip it offers. Definite win.

• 10 months later...

Another update. These dang things are still on there with NO bubbles. 110deg today and i parked in the sun, still works great. Only thing i notice is my pants are starting to slightly round the edges, but definately barely noticeable. Selling the bird, so last update for these from me.

For $17.50 I got a 24" x 36" sheet of Lee Valley's Grip Disc material, I think it'll make a good tank pad. I should be able to do 2 bikes with it.

• 1 month later...

off topic question ----

The flat black looks good. Did you have it painted or is this aftermarket body work?

(I'm searching for good aftermarket body work?)

Back to regular programming.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Took a while to reply it seems.. I looked for those pads and couldnt find them (tho i found the ebay store still). I wound up ordering another brand from china. I hope its cheap ass thin as well. 3M backer is what matters.Kinda hard to find sheets with recessed tips.  I plan on cutting the sheets smaller, i prefer just a TINY bit to grab the knees. Oh, I'm on a newer FI bird, tis why im relooking my old farkle pages :)   Still the fastest color made....BLACK!

The flat black bird was done with Fuzion spray paint. It looks decent enough, but it isnt what i would consider a professional solution. Impossible to keep clean. I resprayed rather than washed. Better than the awful white marks you get when she falls over on rocky ground.

Edited by Hooplehead
paint info

• 4 weeks later...

Got the pads. I like the texture, but a far cry from cut to the right size. I ended up mounting low and upside down. Cutting would have worked, but i have doubts i would do a good job. The current edges are beveled, so i just left them.  Low mounting as usual. For those that hang off the side of the bike really far, i would suggest mounting them higher.   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161799054354?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

DSCN5657.JPG

Edited by Hooplehead