CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shorai lithium iron battery

partsman

I started selling these in Feb this year,by March I was out and so was Shorai.Got some a couple days ago and bought one for myself to test in the drag Bird.

Took it out of the box and out the voltmeter to it,13.45 V,no kidding.They say they are good to go right out of the box,they actually told me they are 70% charged,seems more like 100%.

Rated at 150 cca,but cca on these are misleading,they crank out more,check the web site.

www.shoraipower.com

So I start the bike about 12-15 times today,which the standard Yuasa YTX12 will do for me too but it often needs a re-charge before the next race.ONCE last year I got through 2 days on 1 charge.

Get back home and put the meter to it,13.48 V,no kidding.If it wasn't a brand new meter I'd think it was faulty.

Some of my customers who bought the first ones said it turns the starter faster,mine didn't.

It weighs 1.5 lbs and has a 2 year warranty.

The testing continues.

I had been looking for a lithium battery for a while but after seeing prices all over the 500$ mark I dropped the idea. If the price is close to what is marked on their website I have no idea why you would want the OEM replacement from Yusa.

Partsman, Please update us on price and will for myself shipping to Ottawa, ON.

Cheers,

I was taking to partsman the other day, his price is MUCH lower than $500, He mentioned that they weren't much more expensive than a lead/acid battery, and that they could be easily shipped because of no acid in them. Give him a call at 519-649-1126 his name is Al, and the best part is he ships really fast.

Sorry for the slow reply guys.I was trying to figure what I could do and got screwed up by shipping costs (adding $7.50 to each battery) and all I've doing this week is trying to get my bike ready for the all bike drags tomorrow at Grand Bend.And its 9:22 pm and I'm not finished yet.

Anyway,the YTX12-BS,YTZ12S,YTZ14S all equate to the LFX14A1-BS12 Shorai battery which retails for $153.95.

I'll do $135 plus shipping.

I'm using the undersized LFX12A1(closer to a YTX9BS cranking wise) in my tests on my own bike.

Canada Post being on strike the bargain shipping is on hold.FED-EX and UPS should be less than $20 to the lower 48,but lets not carve that in stone just yet.I have a very limited number right now too.

Gotta go finish the big red nightmare now.

• 1 month later...

Partsman, Thanks for the batteries. They fired my bikes up right out of the box, no charging needed as stated. As I said, the one for the XX was a good fit. The one for the Ninja 500, well...

Nothing a little ingenuity could solve :icon_rolleyes:

post-147-1313608139.jpg

-Obby

P.S. I think I must have lightened the Ninja by about 3 pounds by going with this Lithium Iron batt., the XX only lost 2 pound on this diet.

post-147-1313608242.jpg

Partsman, Thanks for the batteries. They fired my bikes up right out of the box, no charging needed as stated. As I said, the one for the XX was a good fit. The one for the Ninja 500, well...

Nothing a little ingenuity could solve :icon_rolleyes:

post-147-1313608139.jpg

-Obby

P.S. I think I must have lightened the Ninja by about 3 pounds by going with this Lithium Iron batt., the XX only lost 2 pound on this diet.

2 lbs? It only weighs 1.6 lbs,its closer to 6.5 lbs lighter.Anyway I'm not going any faster down the 1/4 mile,yet.

They make 2 sizes only of batter case,the foam is there to fill up the space.

Shorai is currently out of stock AGAIN,and I'm out of XX sized batteries.But more stock is suppose to arrive this week.

Had a ZX14 racer stop in for one today,takes a YTX14 ,not having any he went for the same size but more powerful LFX18 model,$25 more.We'll see how it goes.We both just race so I still have to charge mine between events.

P.s. the carbon fibre muffler bracket is holding up great.

Get back home and put the meter to it,13.48 V,no kidding

With Lithium, the voltage will remain the same until it just shuts off.

We use them a lot and it's 100%, 100%, 100%, click, off. shit.

All in all great batteries. (Lithium in general)

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm.....

OK. you've peaked my interest.

I need a smaller battery for a project....

???

I wonder how they handle Day to Day operations.... meaning the constant charging from a motorcycles electrical system ? Will they over heat ? Or will it Fry the internal circuits ? (as I understood it all LIO batteries have an internal regulator)

Or maybe that's why their charger is completely different......???