CBR1100XX.org Forum

Weird problem with the bird's indicators

bwflorence

Hi,

A weird problem has started occurring with the birds' indicators.

When I press either left or right on the indicator switch it takes a second or two before the indicators start working.

I also noticed that the dash indicator flashes at a different rate to the actual indicators (a bit quicker).

This has only recently started happening. No idea what's going on here and hoping its a simple fix.

Any Ideas ??

Thanks....

Bernie

When I press either left or right on the indicator switch it takes a second or two before the indicators start working.

I also noticed that the dash indicator flashes at a different rate to the actual indicators (a bit quicker).

I thought it was the nature of the bird, mine does the "I'm thinking about it" delay also, I haven't noticed the flashing rate difference, I'll have to look. I don't think it's the flasher unit, I just changed from oem to a digital unit to go with led turn signals, and it was delayed it before I did any changes. Do you notice if the the high beam switch has the same delay?

You could also open up the left side handgrip control and spray liberal amounts of WD-40 in there...or just give it a proper cleaning. Dirt resists circuits and it does work its way in there over time.

I would go for the bulb burn out and wiring re-check. I had a similar problem when I bought my XX in SF the wiring system needed some help becuase the previous owner put on the Givi trunk and messed up on the wiring.

Bulbs are all flashing away as intended. Front and rear indicators flash at the same rate. No bulbs have burnt out.

The problem seems to come and go and seems to be more prevalent once the bike has been running for a while and is warmed up.

I recently needed to change the battery and ive only noticed it occurring since then....

Strange lighting problems are often a grounding issue. Circuits seem to be able to pull a ground through the filaments of a un-wanted bulb.

I noticed a slight flash in my left turns signal last night, when my right is on. All I have done is replace a failed brake bulb.

I would check the battery and frame grounds first for tightness and clean connections.

I had the issue with my indicators being slow to start or not starting at all in cold weather (<8c) so I took apart the LH switch block, cleaned it and re-lubed and put it back on and it worked fine :icon_biggrin: Just noticed the other day that my LH indicator light was flashing quick and found a LH rear globe was gone, need to fix it :icon_surprised:

If it's a 99-00 bird, you may have the tell-tale wire loom fix problem. Search here and google and it will tell you what to do. I had a problem with erratic blinking and sometimes my FI light would glow faintly as the blinkers cycled. Easy fix, but it will take a mini torch to get that much solder to stay liquid enough to do the splices.

If it's a 99-00 bird, you may have the tell-tale wire loom fix problem. Search here and google and it will tell you what to do. I had a problem with erratic blinking and sometimes my FI light would glow faintly as the blinkers cycled. Easy fix, but it will take a mini torch to get that much solder to stay liquid enough to do the splices.

Pity all the picture links are dead in that thread :icon_sad:

Bulbs are all flashing away as intended. Front and rear indicators flash at the same rate. No bulbs have burnt out.

The problem seems to come and go and seems to be more prevalent once the bike has been running for a while and is warmed up.

I recently needed to change the battery and ive only noticed it occurring since then....

The front lights are running lights and should be on all of the time. Are they both working?

If you do the wire loom fix...make sure you disconnect the battery. Very important.

thanks for the help everyone.

Ill start with the indicator mechanism on the handlebar and go from there...

I think the poor girl is getting a little long in the tooth. I did a 3 day ride last week (oxley highway) and lost a fairing stay and the right hand handlebar endweight.

Poor thing is falling apart !!

The front lights are running lights and should be on all of the time. Are they both working?

Not in Oz :icon_surprised: We don't have "running lights" on our vehicles generally, maybe a few imports but that's it and not bikes :icon_think:

• 11 years later...

My 2007 bird has been stood 4 years before I bought it as a unfinished Streetfighter project, it had no clocks or head light,I’ve grafted these on but now have no feed to left side indicator ,I’ve had to re route some of the loom at the rear to get a bespoke under tray to fit the rear subframe,anyone got a clue where the problem lies?