CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another Tire Thread

BigMig

Ok guys - my '01 bird needs new tires. If I mail order Pilot Road 2s, should I be concerned that they're really old stock and the rubber may not be so pliable? Then, who's the best vendor for these Pilot Roads? I'll need em shipped to Phialdelphia area...FYI

Thanks,

I ordered mine last year from sportbike track gear. They guarantee fresh rubber. If it is old when you get it, send them back for new. They are currently listed at $267 for the set.

HERE

Many thanks, bro. THat's just the ticket! Can't wait for them to arrive...then to find an installer.

Take care.

Your welcome. Just go buy a set of irons and do it yourself. Watch a few videos on the process first. I did my first set last year. It takes a while the first time, but it is worth the knowledge gained.

Many thanks, bro. THat's just the ticket! Can't wait for them to arrive...then to find an installer.

Take care.

Your welcome. Just go buy a set of irons and do it yourself. Watch a few videos on the process first. I did my first set last year. It takes a while the first time, but it is worth the knowledge gained.

Videos? Do they also tell you about balancing, etc? Other stuff too?

Why PR2's when PR3's have just come out?

Incidently Michelin don't offer them as "Approved Fitment".

I've just swapped mine and gone for another set of Avon Storm Ultra II's. A great tyre.

Avon Storm Ultra II's What does a set of those run?

I have Azaros on my Hurricane - really like 'em. I don't do track days... :icon_rolleyes:

test. I think the gremlins have taken control of this thread....

last "poster" is not updating?

...and it is in the "garage' AND "for sale".

In case you didn't know here is some helpful information. Look at the date code on the tire and find out when it was made.

It is a 4 digit code and it looks like this. The first two are the week of the year the last two are the year it was made.

index.jpg

I'm not sure how useful the cost is as I'm in the UK but it was £207 for the pair, ride in/ride out. There a dual compound which wear well and have no issues supporting the weight of the 'bird.

It's a popular tyre with 'bird owners this side of the pond.

Why PR2's when PR3's have just come out?

Incidently Michelin don't offer them as "Approved Fitment".

Probably because Michelin sells the HPX for big bikes like the Bird, the Busa and the ZX14.

If they had a dual compound HPX, I would try them.

I just picked up a set of the Storm Ultra's for my ZX 14 and paid $266 from Chaparral Motorsports.

Won't find much love on this board for the Avons, but for the way I ride they work well. Have a set of the Ultras on my 03XX, but haven't put many miles on it. Been getting 10-12K out of the 1st generation Storms on my 99XX, and also have them on the Busa with about 6k and looking to get close to the same mileage.

In case you didn't know here is some helpful information. Look at the date code on the tire and find out when it was made.

It is a 4 digit code and it looks like this. The first two are the week of the year the last two are the year it was made.

index.jpg

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when would a set of treads be considered old stock? 1yr 3yrs 5yrs?

Thanks,

Trevor

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when would a set of treads be considered old stock? 1yr 3yrs 5yrs?

Thanks,

Trevor

Depends greatly on how they were stored (which you'll likely never know), but I'd say anything over two years is starting to get a little stale. Nothing up to 3-4 years would keep from purchasing if it was a good deal, at least not for a street bike.

IMO, YMMV, etc., etc....

Take care.

Videos? Do they also tell you about balancing, etc? Other stuff too?

Here's what you need...

Some good tire Irons, I preffer 3 of these... 16" Motion Pro Curved extra long tire irons...

http://powersport-superstore-inc.amazonweb..._source=froogle

A set of Quick Grip bar clamps is handy...

And a good wheel balancer... here...

http://www.marcparnes.com/

index.jpg

Very cool..... thanks for the knowledge.

Thanks,

Trevor

Depends greatly on how they were stored (which you'll likely never know), but I'd say anything over two years is starting to get a little stale. Nothing up to 3-4 years would keep from purchasing if it was a good deal, at least not for a street bike.

IMO, YMMV, etc., etc....

I agree.... 1-2 years, probably good... anything more than that...3-4 years... just be ready to slide it a little if you push it, 5 years and well.... burning it up (give it to Josh) or crash, your choice.... Unless you ride like a Grandpa on Ludes in which case,,, use them to go for your Ironbutt trophy.