CBR1100XX.org Forum

Some questions from a new guy.....

grg

I just picked up a 2003 model with 12,000 on it. I knew I had wanted one for a long time but I never knew how much fun it would be. What a sweet ride.

OK questions:

1) I read somewhere about using VFR handlebars on the bird. Does this raise the rider up? Is there a down side to this mod?

2) Although I have yet to pin it in any gear, I am itching to do a 0 to 100mph run. I've found that I'll hit the 100mph mark at the top of second gear. It seems that it should happen in about 6 seconds. Is this correct? What I need to know is; if I am able to pin the throttle in 1st, then do a full throttle shift into second, will the bike stay together? Will it wheele and stand me on my head? Will it break the back tire loose?

Thanks for the info.

Rich

1: The VFR bar moves the grips up and back an inch or so. If you are shorter, it will definitely help.

2: If you are on the low side of 200 lbs, it most likely will get the front end "light" maybe even come up if you pin it throughout the 1-2 shift. Just feel what she is doing and react accordingly.

She is a tough girl and can handle running hard. Just don't be stupid about it.

1: The VFR bar moves the grips up and back an inch or so. If you are shorter, it will definitely help.

My neck and shoulders start aching after a couple of hours. I find my self trying to straighten up a little. I think I will give them a try along with the "double bubble" wind screen

2: If you are on the low side of 200 lbs, it most likely will get the front end "light" maybe even come up if you pin it throughout the 1-2 shift. Just feel what she is doing and react accordingly.

She is a tough girl and can handle running hard. Just don't be stupid about it.

I am under 200, 170 to be exact. So a full throttle 1 -2 shift wou;d probably land me on my head. I'll have to stay away from that and back off abunch untill I kind of get the feel.

"She is a tough girl and can handle running hard. Just don't be stupid about it."

Are you the master of understatements? :icon_angel: One of my Docs rides a 1400 Ninja and had a Blackbird a few years ago. He still loves the bird. But anyhow we were talking and I said (and he agreed) "I can't imagine needing anymore power than this thing offers across the band".

:icon_biggrin: What A COOL bike!

I am under 200, 170 to be exact. So a full throttle 1 -2 shift wou;d probably land me on my head.

Nah. Ive dragged my XX multiple times. Wide open first to second shifts. Front end would always hover for a bit then settle back down. Keep your weight over the front and you wont have a problem. 6 seconds should be fairly close. My best 1/8th was @109 and @6.8 seconds.

Now if you sit back and yank on the bars a bit during this process....your results may vary...

The suspension on the Bird is set up soft. Itcan power wheelie 1st to 2nd, but not easily.

BUT.... Crank the throttle in first or second then back off and the suspension compresses. Add power quickly with it compressed,

and it will come up. I did this by mistake the first few times I tried to get to 100mph fast.

I am not a one wheel person.

Funny, my doctor in Albany, GA still has his XX with his ZX14. He swaps them out every day when he rides to work.

It was the 1000RR that he gave up. Gave up by hitting 5 deer with one bike.

Welcome to the Nuthouse. We will have to ride together sometime.

Now if you sit back and yank on the bars a bit during this process....your results may vary...

Uh........no thanks.........I got the shivers just reading that...........

Thanks for responding though, I felt sure some one had done this a few times.

Does the front actuall clear the ground or just unweight. Can I still be in the seat but over the tank or should I be on the tank and off the seat?

I will work up to what ever it takes but I'm definitely going to do it some time. A strip would be a good place to really nail it but I'll probably end up on empty roads to learn how.

Welcome to the Nuthouse. We will have to ride together sometime.

Bring the girls in the pic and I'll be right there.............

The stock '03 windshield is a mild double-bubble aleady. If you go to a more radical double-bubble, it will knock more air off your chest and increase the weight on your arms at speed.

You might consider riding it for a while as is, and allowing your body to get conditioned a bit before you start changing things. (I'm 65 years old and have ridden it stock for 35,000 miles, with the exception of going to a Corbin Smuggler about half way through.) If your neck and shoulders start aching, stop for a few minutes, relax, loosen them up, admire the Bird, and then get back on and go again. I think you'll find you can go a bit further each time until it's not a problem any more.

The stock '03 windshield is a mild double-bubble aleady. If you go to a more radical double-bubble, it will knock more air off your chest and increase the weight on your arms at speed.

You might consider riding it for a while as is, and allowing your body to get conditioned a bit before you start changing things. (I'm 65 years old and have ridden it stock for 35,000 miles, with the exception of going to a Corbin Smuggler about half way through.) If your neck and shoulders start aching, stop for a few minutes, relax, loosen them up, admire the Bird, and then get back on and go again. I think you'll find you can go a bit further each time until it's not a problem any more.

Good Advice.

I had a set of the VFR bars but never got around to putting on, finding the stock riding position just fine. I have a 99 and 03. The only thing I have done is put a 02 stock windscreen on my 99, as said the 01 and up have a slight "double bubble" making them a little higher, giving a little smoother air coming over the screen. I also have a Corbin I switch between bikes at times, but really think I like the stock narrower seat better than the Corbin. My 99 came with a Givi screen, and I didn't like the way it took away from the lines of the bike, and it also seemed like a rougher airflow over my helmet.

Does the front actuall clear the ground or just unweight. Can I still be in the seat but over the tank or should I be on the tank and off the seat?

Im no pro, but the way I ran it was: 1st to about 1000 before redline, load the shifter, fan the clutch, keeping throttle pinned. Front would always come off the ground a few inches for a bit but never more than that. Maybe carried it for like 50 feet?? Maybe more?? Launching the XX isnt easy, mostly due to the hydraulic clutch. Engagement under that kind of load is quirky at times. Go easy at first. And...I really suggest NOT coming off the seat. (although that would be funny to see) Keep your ass on the seat and tuck in as far as you can, elbows in, and let er rip.

Agreeing with several posters above, a hard 1-2 shift at redline just floats the wheel. I've never had a "high" (more than a foot or two) wheelie without really trying.. ie close the throttle at 6K in first then whack it open with a bit of a tug. Even at that the bike just doesn't wheelie that easily.

Now the KTM950 adventure I used to ride, that bike could wheelie just effortlessly. Holy crap that thing was fun to wheelie.

I got bored at the desk today and took it out to clear the cobwebs out. It will do that quick.

I got it on a long open piece and tried it. I haven't pined it in 1st yet so today i just let it build to 10,000 slowly, pulled in a little more and poped 2nd.............damn it will wake you up............

Just let it go to 100 and pulled it down. I need to be back out west for this stuff. The East coast sucks for trying to find open space.

YMMV...

1st gear you can power wheelie pretty easily just about any rpm.

2nd gear...run it up to around 55mph give or take a few mph...fan the clutch while going WFO and enjoy the nice long wheelie that climbs somewhat slowly. Watch out though. At just over 100mph you will hit the rev limiter if you aren't paying attention and the front will come down hard. If you did it right your front wheel will give a little bark as it comes up to speed with the rest of the bike.

Also if you are in AZ riding behind a few friends who take off from a stop like bats out of hell...make sure they don't suddenly come to an abrupt stop just as you are getting some good 2nd gear front wheel altitude. :icon_redface: :icon_pray: :icon_doh: :icon_shhh: