CBR1100XX.org Forum

Jeep tranny problems

LogoMan

Jeep Wrangler rolls in any gear with engine off. Won't hold park.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the external linkages.

What say you Jeep experts?

Thanks guys.

I'll check the transfer case engagement. That'll be easy. Sure hope it's that simple.

Pawl. Cudgel said the same thing. Sounds expensive.

Don't know the jeep,,, current ones,,, trany so ,,, but It could be changed on a powerglide through the pan. yeah that dates me.

I was hoping it could be reached through the pan or another access point. Not sure where it's located. Crap.

BTW, that's Powerslide.

I don't see what model Wrangler you have, but according to the shop manual for my '97 with the 20/32RH 3-speed lock-up clutch automatic transmission, the park gear (a large-diameter gear with heavy-duty teeth around the perimeter) is located just inside the tail extension housing. The park rod that drops/lifts the sprag into the park gear comes from inside the main case, on top of the valve body, where it is mechanically operated by the shift lever mechanism. There are springs, e-clips, levers, detents, etc. all involved in making it work.

By all appearances, you should be able to drop the pan and filter to see if there is something wrong with the beginning of the process at the shift lever end.

But first, have you checked the external shift mechanism and linkage to be sure it is all working properly, as it appears the interlock might interfere with the transmission going into park? You might be able to disconnect the shift cable from the arm just outside the transmission case, and see if it will go into park without the shifter and cable involved.

I don't see what model Wrangler you have, but according to the shop manual for my '97 with the 20/32RH 3-speed lock-up clutch automatic transmission, the park gear (a large-diameter gear with heavy-duty teeth around the perimeter) is located just inside the tail extension housing. The park rod that drops/lifts the sprag into the park gear comes from inside the main case, on top of the valve body, where it is mechanically operated by the shift lever mechanism. There are springs, e-clips, levers, detents, etc. all involved in making it work.

By all appearances, you should be able to drop the pan and filter to see if there is something wrong with the beginning of the process at the shift lever end.

But first, have you checked the external shift mechanism and linkage to be sure it is all working properly, as it appears the interlock might interfere with the transmission going into park? You might be able to disconnect the shift cable from the arm just outside the transmission case, and see if it will go into park without the shifter and cable involved.

Thanks. I'll try disconnecting the cable and see what happens.