CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB '03 Blackbird fairing pieces

I just purchased my first Blackbird, '03 with 1745 miles and a cracked rt. lower fairing and cracked nose cowl. Has anyone had good experience with aftermarket plastics, and if so, what company. I've seen good looking ads on Ebay from Delkevic in Colorado, and another supplier in Poland. They use high resolution pictures, and the product isn't all gaudy colors, but I don't have the foggiest idea as to what I should ask to get a quality product that would fit. My choice would be to find good used OEM parts that just need filler and paint, but I don't want to miss any riding weather by waiting. Do the plastics interchange from all years? Do any of you have a line on OEM parts I could buy?-Staring at the bike in a cold garage

The OEM parts are injection molded while the Chinese and most others use compression molding. This is for an obvious reason it's a lot cheaper to make compression molds. I went through this a month or so ago. Finally one of the Chinese guys told me I would not be happy with the fit of the compression molded parts. All the e-bay parts are compression molded. I don't know about Delvic or what ever their name is you might ask them. The cheapest OEM parts I found were from Western Honda in Arizona.

Fix yours or buy the Honda parts you'll be a lot happier.

Rick

Welcome to the forum! You must have bought the bike recently listed on Seattle Craig's list? Looked like a pretty sweet deal.

I live up the road in Bonney Lake. It has been my experience all of the body panels interchange, with the exception of the rear tail lamp shape. I ran a 2002 tail on a 1998 with a stock lamp with now problem. The fuel tanks on the FI models will interchange, but they can't be used on carbed bike, or vice versa.

I presently have a 2001, red Blackbird, I have extra stock, red lowers but have been saving them for a custom mod I planned on in the future...

Welcome to the nuthouse known as CBR1100XX.org :icon_biggrin:

Welcome to the forum! You must have bought the bike recently listed on Seattle Craig's list? Looked like a pretty sweet deal.

I live up the road in Bonney Lake. It has been my experience all of the body panels interchange, with the exception of the rear tail lamp shape. I ran a 2002 tail on a 1998 with a stock lamp with now problem. The fuel tanks on the FI models will interchange, but they can't be used on carbed bike, or vice versa.

I presently have a 2001, red Blackbird, I have extra stock, red lowers but have been saving them for a custom mod I planned on in the future...

Welcome to the nuthouse known as CBR1100XX.org :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the welcome! The forum has already provided a shop manual and P/L. You sure those lonley red panels wouldn't rather be on the road right now?

Not sure on shipping charges. This is a small shop in Michigan that had a few used bird panels. If you are interested, 734 485 1482. Cj's cycle. No affiliation. Just stopped in one day and saw them.

Not sure on shipping charges. This is a small shop in Michigan that had a few used bird panels. If you are interested, 734 485 1482. Cj's cycle. No affiliation. Just stopped in one day and saw them.

I appreciate that info. I'll give him a call.

and a cracked rt. lower fairing and cracked nose cowl.

Welcome....

Here's my suggestion. "Fix Them"

Repairing the body panels is not all that hard (if your mechanically and artistically inclined), especially if they are just cracked. Heck,... sometimes you don't even need to repaint if it done correctly.

Why don't you shoot me some pictures of your fairing, and I'll tell you if it can be done or not. Heck I might even offer to do it for you.... for a small fee.

and a cracked rt. lower fairing and cracked nose cowl.

Welcome....

Here's my suggestion. "Fix Them"

Repairing the body panels is not all that hard (if your mechanically and artistically inclined), especially if they are just cracked. Heck,... sometimes you don't even need to repaint if it done correctly.

Why don't you shoot me some pictures of your fairing, and I'll tell you if it can be done or not. Heck I might even offer to do it for you.... for a small fee.

I'm going to look at a rt. lower today (Sunday), and I will take pictures tonight. The previous owner did a patch job with something that never really hardened, and will need an aggressive solvent to remove; probably take decals with it. The nose cowl is cracked, but not repaired. That may be a candidate for repair. I would welcome advice as to how and what to use (glass cloth and epoxy?) to keep the cracks from reforming in use.

• 1 month later...

rosedalesam - in your search for a right-side lower fairing for a redbird, did you ever come across a left-side lower? I may be in the market and am just starting to look around.

Thanks,

Chuck