CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Tire Acquisition for BB

BigMig

Hey, team, I'm ready to order some new Pilot Road 2s for my 2000 xx. I've read posts talking of "touring and 2-up" tire sizes vs std which is 180/55-17. Can somebody clarify this for me? Benefits/drawbacks - cost differential (of course)? No change in the size of the front, correct (120/70-17 - right?)

Thanks,

Mike

120/70-17 front

180/55-17 rear

for all yrs I do believe..

some have ran a 190 but the rim on the XX is a 5 or 5.5 inch wide rim and a 190 is really made for a 6inch rim..

I stick with stock size tires, have ran a few touring tires, sport touring tires and now run strictly sport tires... I get more mileage with my BT016s than the others I have tried and they handle freaking awsome..

Riding two up I just make sure the tires are inflated to proper psi and go, I don't ride enough two up to change my rear suspension setting.

I see no reason to change from the standard factory tire sizes. They are the best choice for the rim size and will fit the greatest variety of needs. I've never heard of anyone using smaller tires on the XX, only the larger 190/50 and 190/55 series tires. When compared with the standard 180/55 tires, they weigh more, cost more, and have a modified profile due to being squeezed onto the rim meant for a smaller tire.

If your needs are specialized, the 190 tires may be a consideration for you. A larger tire for appearance, or greater contact patch for the best standing start traction may be more important to you than other tire functions. For overall use, however....keep the stock size.

+1

Oh, and the PR3's are out now - and they are totally bad ass.

Just sayin.

PR3 - is that Pilot Road 3??? Reviews, etc? C'mon, hook a brother up!

Mike

Yup, Pilot Road 3. I just got a set on the F2, and got some coming for the XX. Gimme a little more time to see how they wear and I'll post up. I've only got about 200 miles on them right now. I REALLY like the feel though - especially in a little weather.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/articl...p;article=43020

+1

Just sayin.

Mike

Yup, Pilot Road 3. I just got a set on the F2, and got some coming for the XX. Gimme a little more time to see how they wear and I'll post up. I've only got about 200 miles on them right now. I REALLY like the feel though - especially in a little weather.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/articl...p;article=43020

I've been in touch with Michelin this past week and the PR3 hasn't been approved for the XX. Of course there's nothing stopping anyone from doing so.

Weirdly they suggest using the Pure !

So much for the PR3 being the ultimate Sport Touring tyre when it's not approved on the big bikes.

• 3 months later...

How badly would this fit?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/2446747603.html

I have a thing for Avons.

..and from a different thread:

http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/9000/pid/19298

....180/55 ZR 17 rear also available in a 'B' version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up. ( BMW OEM tire )

+1

Just sayin.

Mike

Scroll down a few threads here in the "Garage" and you will find a thread with some reviews.