CBR1100XX.org Forum

Modifying/slotting standard cam sprockets??????

knight

I am looking into modifying my standard cam sprockets in order to change the cam timing on the exhaust cam from 105 to 101 degrees, so I need to add a 4 degree slot......I have access to a vertical mill with a rotary base.....but I'm told the sprockets are hardened and must be ground?......is this true or will conventional machine tools be able to cope with milling the honda sprockets........and before someone says it......yes I know slotted cam wheels are available off the shelf....... I cant use them as they are blatantly not standard......which is a no-go for my race series

also if someone has a pair of cam sprockets from a 98 carbed B.Bird that they want to part with - please let me know :wink:

I slotted my cam gears on my V 65 Sabre (had to do 4 of them :shock: ) I used a dremel with small grinding stones. It can be done. I degreed my cams to 104 degrees for more low-end power but noticed nothing from seat of the pants. Oh well at least I knew the timeing was right now.

I used Drumel with small grading stones on couple of Yamahas.

When sprockets are bolted back to the camshafts treads needs to be cleaned with solvent and Loctite applied or they will came loose.