CBR1100XX.org Forum

Why can't everyone on Craigslist be like this?

silverbird1100

Do you mean 'Why can't everyone on Craigslist be like this?'

I agree, though. I'm inching my way to a new bike. Either a Bird or your competition...the ZZR1200. *cough* (I prefer the Bird.) My point is that checking that nationwide craigslist search 90% of those posts were too short, poorly written, no explanation of anything done on the bike, no pictures or pictures the size of fingernail and furthermore most of them way over KBB retail value for the bike. They don't realize that it even says right on the site "The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition." Furthermore, they want MORE than KBB or NADA's 'high retail' for all of the aftermarket stuff. They want paid back dollar for dollar for all of the stuff they put on their bike.

I'm never going to get a damn bike at this rate. $6000 for a stock 2003 Bird +cans with 25000 miles 'firm' :icon_rolleyes: Just wait until April/May roll around and people are more eagerly selling their bikes for even higher 'spring' prices. Oh lord.

Probably a good thing I'm not done saving yet and just browsing. Haven't laughed as hard as today in...quite some time.

I have been thinking about buying a 1098s and was going to take a second look at one sat. But from what i have been reading about them they r very uncomfortable and many owners called them a torture rack.

This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition." Furthermore, they want MORE than KBB or NADA's 'high retail' for all of the aftermarket stuff. They want paid back dollar for dollar for all of the stuff they put on their bike.

I'm never going to get a damn bike at this rate. $6000 for a stock 2003 Bird +cans with 25000 miles 'firm' :icon_rolleyes:

Hence why I'm never selling my XX. Too much invested into it to ever part for a "trade-in" price. Unless the bike is falling apart, how do you ever let go?

I have been thinking about buying a 1098s and was going to take a second look at one sat. But from what i have been reading about them they r very uncomfortable and many owners called them a torture rack.

My 1098 is more comfortable than you would think. In fact, I would rate it up there with my old XX. I added Gilles rearsets to get a bit more leg room and a Sargent seat, but those are the only confort mods I've made. You might want to try one before you write it off.

It's a race bike!! if you don't ride like one it's really not comfortable.

Do you have much experience on a 1098? Many of the magazine writers and most inexperienced Duc riders parrot the tired old line that "Ducatis are torture racks". I don't find mine to be so. I guess it's all in how you ride.

Do you have much experience on a 1098? Many of the magazine writers and most inexperienced Duc riders parrot the tired old line that "Ducatis are torture racks". I don't find mine to be so. I guess it's all in how you ride.

I have ridden one one time.I also have ridden a RC51 They say that's a torture rack also. I have ridden a newer 1000rr...If you are ridding the bike like they are intended to be ridden they are all pretty good. Its when you are ridding at slow speeds you start to feel the effects.

My 1098 is more comfortable than you would think. In fact, I would rate it up there with my old XX. I added Gilles rearsets to get a bit more leg room and a Sargent seat, but those are the only confort mods I've made. You might want to try one before you write it off.

Hey Jim, Thanks for the feedback on the 1098, I haven't given up on it. I just want to get more info from 1098 owners before I buy one. When I bought my bb , it was not very comfortable. But thanks to this forum I was able to tweak the bike and have been happy with it.

Glad to help. There are some relative bargains out there on 1098's right now. Many have a lot of accessories and mods already installed. I really love mine and it's breathtakingly fast.

One caveat though, owning a Duc can make you want to spend lots of money on mods and bling. :icon_twisted: PM me if you have any specific questions.