CBR1100XX.org Forum

OK Building/Remodeling guys..... Question

RXX

I am erecting a partition wall, 3' then 42" opening then 30". It is just to narrow a passage way between two rooms. The studs are 2X6 (it is part of a load bearing wall)

The wall is entirely indoors, but I am wondering if I should throw insulation in it. I don't really see a need to, but it wouldn't cost but a little more to do it.

What say you?

The only supposed benefit to insulating interior walls is sound suppression. Most people don't bother, but I have always wondered if it would make a really noticeable difference.

+1

Waste of money. I live in a cold climate and we don't do it.

• 1 month later...

I am considering the same thing as a (((sound))) barrier only. Our master bedroom wall separates the guest room ... we need sound insulation there is no advantage for heat/cold temp reasons.

If you are wanting sound insulation use the 2" styrafoam insulation. Regular fiberglass will not do squat for sound deading.

Huh, I'll bebdamned if you don't learn something new everyday.

I'd suggest using 2"X6" lumber on the floor and ceiling and using 2"X4"s as studs in an alternating pattern. Then use roll insulation weaving sideways. Sound/vibration will travel through solids and this method removes most solids from contacting the sheet rock on both sides...Hank

• 2 weeks later...
I am erecting a partition wall, 3' then 42" opening then 30". It is just to narrow a passage way between two rooms. The studs are 2X6 (it is part of a load bearing wall)

The wall is entirely indoors, but I am wondering if I should throw insulation in it. I don't really see a need to, but it wouldn't cost but a little more to do it.

What say you?

If you aren't putting a door in the opening it isn't worth insulating the wall. Sound will pass way too readily through the opening.