CBR1100XX.org Forum

For sale - My wildest fantasy.

If you want something cheaper I just came across this today. http://janesville.craigslist.org/mcy/1953505994.html $2000 for a 97 ain't that bad of price

It was pretty messed up he had ads on a few different town's craigslists. One of them had pics. It looked like he rode through a whole bunch of sandstorms laying down on the tank and the bike had been painted metallic blue - not a good paint job either. He said he had 10 people lined up to look at it at $2000, but he'd sell it to me for $1850

?!?1

WTF?

The whole thing had a very "Something is rotten in Denmark" Aura to it.

bluebird.bmp

• 4 months later...

Fixing the CBX came up in our home conversation last night. She started the discussion. I've owned it longer than we've been married. It's a piece of machinery, but I find it interesting and t makes me happy.

Trying to budget the tax return. She asked if I was still intersted in getting a Blackbird Vs fixing the X.

I got a couple things on the original post done - decided a couple others don't need to get done. Some of it is fiscal responsibility.

Dcisions, decisions...

• 2 months later...

I have a van that needs ABS fixed, a kid in college I commited to pay hs loan interest, truck could use a horn fixed and ABS is out. Ther's a great little Honda Accord down the street 200,000 - asking $2.500, CBX has a bent connecting rod in cyl #1 and 4th gear problem, a CB750F "kit" in boxes with 3 engines, a snowmobile that needs a hood fixed, another snowmobile that I bought a skid to swap in that I have to finish, a third snowmobile that needs a recoil fixed.... You get the picture. At least I don't have a boat to winterize.

....The bird is home.

Quite the week.

Thank you all.

Pat and Walt...

Habitat Linky

Philip figured something out. As we were drifting off to sleep, he said "You've achieved the trifecta".

I told him he was the only one that figured it out.

• 8 years later...
On 2/13/2011 at 10:01 AM, XXitanium said:

Fixing the CBX came up in our home conversation last night. She started the discussion. I've owned it longer than we've been married. It's a piece of machinery, but I find it interesting and t makes me happy.

Trying to budget the tax return. She asked if I was still intersted in getting a Blackbird Vs fixing the X.

I got a couple things on the original post done - decided a couple others don't need to get done. Some of it is fiscal responsibility.

Dcisions, decisions...

How'd the con rod bend?  Is it a common issue?  Fuel flooded or something?  Don't know the intricacies of that bike, just assuming that a bent rod wouldn't be a common thing without hearing about it.

7 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

How'd the con rod bend?  Is it a common issue?  Fuel flooded or something?  Don't know the intricacies of that bike, just assuming that a bent rod wouldn't be a common thing without hearing about it.

CBX guys just call it "hydrolock". It's a one word description that tells hours-and-hours of painfully story.

If you don't shut off the petcock on older model X's, after a while one of the floats will stick and leak gas down the fuel rail. It runs downhill into the no.1 cylinder.

If you go to start it there is a slug of gas that won't compress. One of the other cylinders fires with enough force, it bends the no. 1 rod. That is when the fun begins.

20 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

My brother taught me as a kid to turn off the fuel after turning off the bike and I still do it to this day if I have a bike without auto shut off.

I would guess that I rebuilt 150 honda 350 top ends because the carbs would leak fuel into the oil and toast the cylinders.

Pop the head and cylinder off, bore it out, fit the new pistons, back together in less than a day.

Bent con-rod can be a nightmare.