CBR1100XX.org Forum

Zumo 660 and Sena SH10 Bluetooth headset - LOVE THEM! Update

So I recently (today) upgraded from the Zumo 550 GPS to the 660 and also bought the SENA SH10 bluetooth headset based on the reviews from WebBike World, ADVRider and the Zumo Forums. This set-up is awesome!

First the 660. It worked out of the box with no problems and after I made sure it worked I immediately went to the Garmin site for the latest software and firmware updates. The device loaded up with no problems. Paired it to my iPhone first try with no problems. The wider screen is great and I like the full touch screen controls much better than some of the buttons on the 550. Some great additional features over the 550 like 3D street view, "where am I?" and also the breadcrumb feature that lets you backtrack. I'm still learning all the little features.

Loaded up my personal POIs which include an FJR Assistance directory (closest fellow FJR riders that will provide assistance if needed) and also all the US Yamaha dealers. Also loaded up a few dozen MP3s just to test on the 4GB Micro SD card (I think it will take up to a 16GB card). Again all went smoothly.

One of the main reasons I bought the 660 was for the new A2DP Stereo Bluetooth support and as mentioned I bought the SENA SH10 headset for this. It paired with the Zumo first try without any issue. One the more appealing features of the SH10 is that you can buy the optional mount that you can plug earbuds into instead of using in-helmet speakers. I have had three different in-helmet speaker set-ups and none of the worked worth a shit at speed for listening to music. With the earbuds the music quality is awesome and I'm just using a $10 pair of JLab earbuds.

So I am free of the cord that was necessary to listen to music with the 550. With the iPhone and SH10 paired to the Zumo I can hear my music, it pauses it for GPS voice prompts and pauses for incomming calls. I can see who's calling me, talk with them if a I choose or make phone calls (stopped of course) without removing the hemet. My iPhone address book, recently called numbers etc. all display on the Zumo (the 550 did this too).

I'll add as a final note that the SH10 is waterproof and also has whats called a jog knob volume control and one other button that can be easily used with gloves (features that the Cardo units lack). If you want rider to passenger or bike to bike communications the SH10 also has that ability to with up to four additional units.

Links: SENA SH10 ZUMO 660

So I recently (today) upgraded from the Zumo 550 GPS to the 660 and also bought the SENA SH10 bluetooth headset based on the reviews from WebBike World, ADVRider and the Zumo Forums. This set-up is awesome!

First the 660. It worked out of the box with no problems and after I made sure it worked I immediately went to the Garmin site for the latest software and firmware updates. The device loaded up with no problems. Paired it to my iPhone first try with no problems. The wider screen is great and I like the full touch screen controls much better than some of the buttons on the 550. Some great additional features over the 550 like 3D street view, "where am I?" and also the breadcrumb feature that lets you backtrack. I'm still learning all the little features.

Loaded up my personal POIs which include an FJR Assistance directory (closest fellow FJR riders that will provide assistance if needed) and also all the US Yamaha dealers. Also loaded up a few dozen MP3s just to test on the 4GB Micro SD card (I think it will take up to a 16GB card). Again all went smoothly.

One of the main reasons I bought the 660 was for the new A2DP Stereo Bluetooth support and as mentioned I bought the SENA SH10 headset for this. It paired with the Zumo first try without any issue. One the more appealing features of the SH10 is that you can buy the optional mount that you can plug earbuds into instead of using in-helmet speakers. I have had three different in-helmet speaker set-ups and none of the worked worth a shit at speed for listening to music. With the earbuds the music quality is awesome and I'm just using a $10 pair of JLab earbuds.

So I am free of the cord that was necessary to listen to music with the 550. With the iPhone and SH10 paired to the Zumo I can hear my music, it pauses it for GPS voice prompts and pauses for incomming calls. I can see who's calling me, talk with them if a I choose or make phone calls (stopped of course) without removing the hemet. My iPhone address book, recently called numbers etc. all display on the Zumo (the 550 did this too).

I'll add as a final note that the SH10 is waterproof and also has whats called a jog knob volume control and one other button that can be easily used with gloves (features that the Cardo units lack). If you want rider to passenger or bike to bike communications the SH10 also has that ability to with up to four additional units.

Links: SENA SH10 ZUMO 660

Sounds like a fantastic set up Bill. I am just now getting used to the Bluetooth set up with my new Q2 Scala Cardo, but I am still using the ZUMO 450 I bought back in 2007. Sounds like a great configuration. I will bookmark this!

Just curious if you signed up for the XM weather radar option and if you did, how does it work? That would definitely be one feature that I would be interested in if I were to buy the 660 and sell my Zumo 550.

Just curious if you signed up for the XM weather radar option and if you did, how does it work? That would definitely be one feature that I would be interested in if I were to buy the 660 and sell my Zumo 550.

No sorry, the 660 doesn't support XM. You need the 665 for that. The reason I didn't go with the 665 is that my iPhone does a pretty good job of showing the weather with the Weather.com app and location services turned on and I don't listen to XM radio. I have Sirius in my car and barely use that. On the bike I prefer listening to my MP3s and loaded about 400 of them on the 660 so far.

• 9 months later...

Update - I recently learned that SENA had come out with a new version. The major difference was that the new model would accept firmware updates via a USB port that now also served as the charging port. The older version had a proprietary charging port.

So I checked the website and found that for existing customers they would upgrade you to the new version for $49 (plus shipping) which includes a new 12v mobile charger and a USB cable. I think that's a pretty solid thing to do rather than make you buy the new pod for the full $117 price. It's compatible with all the old clamps.

Just packaged mine up to send in for replacement. Happy!

Sounds great. Also sounds expensive.

Nope...the Sena was $149.00.

Bill....question. I have your exact set up. Sena, iPhone, 660.

If I want to broadcast my music through the goldwing speakers can I pair the 660 with my iPhone and have the music on my iPhone play through the 660? My 660 plugs into the audio jack of the wing. So...if the music DOES stream via bluetooth from the iPhone to the 660 I can get rid of the SD card I am using for music that is in the 660.

If I can do what I am asking...how do you control the music? On the iPhone or the 660?

If I want to broadcast my music through the goldwing speakers can I pair the 660 with my iPhone and have the music on my iPhone play through the 660? My 660 plugs into the audio jack of the wing. So...if the music DOES stream via bluetooth from the iPhone to the 660 I can get rid of the SD card I am using for music that is in the 660.

If I can do what I am asking...how do you control the music? On the iPhone or the 660?

I'm considering replacing the old Garmin 2610 with a Zumo 660.

How easy is it to do on the Wing Dave ?

No. To the best of my knowledge the iPhone will only pair to the 660 for phone calls and to display your contact phone numbers, last call dialed etc. It won't stream music to the 660.

Personally....I liked my Zumo 550 better than the 660. For one single reason....the tactile buttons on the 550 made it easy for me to advance or reverse songs. If I wanted the next song...I hit the + button...DONE.

Now...I need to exit the map screen by hitting the "NOTE" icon then advancing the song then hitting the "BACK" icon to get back to my map. I hate having to do all that to skip a song.

Other than that....it's a great unit. Do you have a specific question? Easy to hard wire, east to integrate with the AUX cord, takes SD cards to load up music....it's awesome.

Personally....I liked my Zumo 550 better than the 660. For one single reason....the tactile buttons on the 550 made it easy for me to advance or reverse songs. If I wanted the next song...I hit the + button...DONE.

Now...I need to exit the map screen by hitting the "NOTE" icon then advancing the song then hitting the "BACK" icon to get back to my map. I hate having to do all that to skip a song.

Other than that....it's a great unit. Do you have a specific question? Easy to hard wire, east to integrate with the AUX cord, takes SD cards to load up music....it's awesome.

Dave, if you just used the Sena headset the way God intended and listened to your music through the headset instead of making everyone else listen to your shitty gay music and Howard Stern through your blaring Wing speakers you wouldn't have such problems. When you stream music from the 660 MP3s to the Sena you can use the jog dial to advance or reverse songs. That way you can select whichever Justin Bieber song you want and touch yourself rather than having to touch the Zumo screen :icon_biggrin:

Dave, if you just used the Sena headset the way God intended and listened to your music through the headset instead of making everyone else listen to your shitty gay music and Howard Stern through your blaring Wing speakers you wouldn't have such problems. When you stream music from the 660 MP3s to the Sena you can use the jog dial to advance or reverse songs. That way you can select whichever Justin Bieber song you want and touch yourself rather than having to touch the Zumo screen :icon_biggrin:

Hey douchenozzle.....THATS WHY I BOUGHT IT !!!!!!!!!!

I really liked the way yours looked.....and I absolutely loved my J&M set up. I am going to install it this weekend.

I may try the microphone set up for a few months to see if I like answering calls with it and to see if people can actually hear me using a half helmet. If I don't like it...I have the other attachment you recommended I get where I can use the entire set up without the mic and the ear buds.

Actually...scratch that. I have no reason to use the phone while I ride. I am going to install the ear bud, mic-less set up.

AND I'd appreciate if you left Bieber out of this....he's my boy toy.

Hey douchenozzle.....THATS WHY I BOUGHT IT !!!!!!!!!!

I really liked the way yours looked.....and I absolutely loved my J&M set up. I am going to install it this weekend.

I may try the microphone set up for a few months to see if I like answering calls with it and to see if people can actually hear me using a half helmet. If I don't like it...I have the other attachment you recommended I get where I can use the entire set up without the mic and the ear buds.

Actually...scratch that. I have no reason to use the phone while I ride. I am going to install the ear bud, mic-less set up.

AND I'd appreciate if you left Bieber out of this....he's my boy toy.

Douchenozzle? That's a hurtful word. :icon_sad:

Hey next time we ride we can pair our Sena's and talk to each other. That's almost as good as holding hands and I will feel much closer to you. We should talk Steve into getting one so we can tell him when his blinker is on.

You said it :icon_biggrin:

I just wondered how easy it was to hardwire it to the bike.

I have a 5 cd changer, and a 32 GB MP3 player connected to the stereo,

so no music is needed from the GPS :)

Pull the shelter off....grab the +- accessory lead in the rear left...red to red, black to black....and it's switched.

DONE !

Took me 15 minutes. Hardest part is getting the main harness disconnected behind the shelter so you can completely remove it.

Wow...Goldwings have shelters? Also I would think with a Goldwing you should just have to plug your accessory into a 110V duplex outlet. Don't you have one of those in your shelter? :icon_whistle:

No 110V...220V only. Helps when I need to plug in the Miller Tig Welder.

The wing doubles as a 14 phase generator for the neighborhood.

Seriously though....I HATE it when that blue water from the wings porta-potty gets on my shoes. Honda really needs to fix the wings bathroom problems.

ASSHOLE ! :icon_biggrin: