CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fan connector - spark plug change

KaziXX

I am having an issue with the fan connector - it will not come loose! I am trying to change the spark plugs and this little black 2 wire :icon_banghead: connector is kicking my butt! I have tried squeezing the sides where the tabs are an nothing is working.

Am I being a dufus and missing something totally obvious?

Kazi

Umm, why are you trying to unplug the fan?

Remove seat, remove tank, remove airbox, use a 3/8" ratchet with a couple of extensions and a wobble to change plugs, reassemble.

I don't even technically remove the tank. Get the fuel level low, and with a thick towel and some well placed items (trash can, chair, books, whatever) you can make a "table" that will hold the tank on it's side while you work.

I second that opinion.

The service manual says to take off all kinds of pointless things from the front, just go from the top, i just did mine for the first time and it was relatively easy.

If you have the bike tool kit use the socket they give you, works great and they are pretty deep in there.

I second that opinion.

The service manual says to take off all kinds of pointless things from the front, just go from the top, i just did mine for the first time and it was relatively easy.

If you have the bike tool kit use the socket they give you, works great and they are pretty deep in there.

+1000 on this approach. Tank pivoted up, top of breather, then venturies, and remove the coils from the mounts. Don't disconnect the coils.

Remove the lower breather box. There are two hoses and one electrical connector.

I use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet, extension, and a socket that will fit the shaft of the plug wrench in the tool kit. Pull one at a time.

Be careful when installing the plugs, torque is only something like 8 dn. You could easily twist one off.

From the top it is!!

Thank you guys!!

Kazi

I agree with everything above, but just in case you ever need to dis-connect that plug, the tab that holds it together moves opposite of what it looks like and a pocket screw driver and extra hand are your best friends.