CBR1100XX.org Forum

now WHAT? FU**!

jeffro67

I just got done replacing the plugs and fpr. took the bike for a nice ride and all the sputtering and hesitation were gone.

SO then i realize that the air stacks in the air cleaner box were put in backwards and had to go back in to reverse them, thinkin this should make things even better.

Took the tank off(3rd time) switched the air stacks around, relaxed around the house and decided to go for a ride about 6 hours later.

Turned ignition on, pushed start and it started, let it idle for a couple minutes and then pulled clutch in and put it in gear to start going and........as soon as i let the clutch out...it died......restarted.......slowly let the clutch out and it keeps dying!

kickstand was up, and i went and checked continuity for the kickstand switch and it was good

also checked the two spade connectors at the clutch and they worked right.

Pulled it back in the garage and started fiddling around while it was on the center stand and started it, put it in gear and slowly let out the clutch and it stayed running! Ok, problem solved right....NO!

Pull it out side and now it cranks and cranks and cranks, but won't start!

Checked all fuses including that 30 amp facing out on the left side and all are good.

What am i missing?

I should also add that it was pretty low on gas so i went and added 3 gallons to rule it out,

unless trying to start it while almost empty is bad,

and the bike does have a power commander 2.

Is there something obvious about letting the clutch out and killing it that anyone knows about?

ANY GURU help? This has got me really aggravated!

Thanks guys, Jeff

What happens when you try giving it a bit of gas while letting out the clutch? I know it sounds stupid, but everything you describe seems to indicate that the idle speed may simply be set a bit too low.

Make sure the connectors at the top of the engine, in the boot, are all pushed together well. I would take them apart and put them together again well.

Well i think i figured it out!

Some of the best advice that everyone should take is"always suspect the last things you touched"

Didn't want to go into detail about why the ecu wires were chewed up while sitting in the barn with the previous owner, but it's relevent to my bike, not many others.

One wire was chewed apart by a mouse on the grey plug and had to be jumped over the plug to the pcII, making removing the pcII a little bit of a pain. along with about 5 other wires on the black plug that were also a little chewed but not in half.

I was trying to go the extra mile and lifted the ecu and put a little foam under it as a cushion and apparently the ecu doesn't like to be moved around so much now.

While checking the bas, fuel cut relay etc i decided to remove the pcII and fix the chewed wire at the ecu so i could see if it would start with it off.

low and behold it did start, but would die if a fiddled with the repaired wire.

So then i threw the PCii back on and it started, moved the ecu around and then it would die.

Thus confirming that the problem lies in the main ecu wires. I've now got the ecu secured down and took it for a nice 20 minute ride and all seems to be ok. NO more sputtering at low rpms, but that went away when i changed the plugs.

I'm probably gonna have to bite the bullet at some point and replace all the wiring if it acts up again.

Anyone out there ever do the loom replacement? How bad was it to do?