CBR1100XX.org Forum

99 Blackbird won't crank

county

This morning I was at the grocery and came out and bike wouldn't crank....just made a clack noise and the dash lights went out.

So, I call a buddy and he comes with a truck and says why don't we try jumping it first and goes for the cables and while he is getting cables....I try it and it cranks...I take it home and put it on a slow charge for a few hours and go out a few minutes ago and try cranking and same thing...turn on ignition, wait on FI lite, hit the starter and clack and the dash lites go out...turn ignition off and try turning it on again and no lites of any kind...

Comments...

I'm thinking this one might be a bad ground or lose battery connections. If those are good, try a new battery.

Does anybody else hear an echo? :icon_rolleyes:

Sounds like the battery is shot, At least put a digital multimeter on it and see what it reads with the bike off and maybe what it reads when running(if you can get it started)

Battery on my 99 reads about 13 volts off and 14-14.5 running, and it's new because the battery i had in it would not hold a charge.

I could jump it, drive it for 10 miles, shut it off and go to restart, dead as a door nail. And it isn't good for a bike to run with a bad battery anyhow because you could take out the r/r and stator in the process.

Picked up a walmart sealed es12bs i believe, $55.00, and it cranks real strong now.

Also, being a 99 if you havent already, do the "loom fix", mine was corroded pretty good and it was about a half hour job if you know how to solder+tape!

I've been chasing down electrical gremlins on my bike for the last 3 weeks and i finally think i got all of them.

Good luck, Jeff

He posted on ST.n that he put a battery in it and it started right up.

Didn't care to check further...

The guy at Batteries Plus claimed the battery showed good. I told him it wouldn't crank the bike and he needed to put a load on it....he just gave me a new battery....which fixed the problem...

My thinking is that if the old battery showed good and a new battery cranked the bike then the problem is likely with the battery...anyway the bike is running and cranking fine so I have elected to leave well enough alone.

Appreciate the assistance.