CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird Dead - New Battery Time?

Sondance

I've been searching the board for the past couple of hours and checking most everything as has been posted. Still no luck, I figure it's battery time but before I do, here goes...

2000 Bird, 53K miles.

New Autozone Battery put in when purchased Bird - 2/2008

Bird ridden virtually daily - Battery Tender treatment when not being ridden for a few days

Installed a Datel Voltmeter in dash to monitor volts, which has been consistent with multimeter readings directly from the battery.

New OEM Starter switch (from David Silver Spares) to shut off HID lights - 2/2009

**EDIT** Wire Loom Fix - 6/2009 - 44K miles

New OEM R/R - 7/2009 - 45K miles

New OEM Stator - 11/2009 - 50K miles

Scenario -

Running errands around town today, no muss, no fuss, everything working as normal. Haven't done anything mechanical to the Bird since 3/2010, when oil changed. Pretty hot/humid today, about 94 degrees but feels like 120... Voltmeter shows appropriate charge rate while riding... 13.5 - 14.2 depending on throttle, 12.5 or so, when key turned, and a dip to like 11.3 or so when starter button engaged, nothing appeared different, idle 12.8 ish...

Swing by the house to drop off some things from Lowe's, hop back on Bird, hit starter button - Nada, dash lights go out, Datel shows a drop to 6.4 volts and some clicking noises occur in the under seat area...

Put bird on Tender, Tender charges for about 5-10 mins and then sits on Storage rate. Turn key, no dash lights for a second or so, then I get a weak FI light and a weak/flickering Check Eng light, Neutral light does not join the party and remains out. Datel showing an increasing volt but stops at about 7.2 volts, I'm getting no response from the starter button and the clicking returns (from under seat area).

Check voltage directly to battery using multimeter, Fluke meter shows 12.9 volts...

Check battery connections under seat, all good. Connections clean/tight.

Little fuse panel under seat, all good.

Checked 30 amp fuse under seat, all good.

Pulled rear cowl, hidden 30 amp fuse, various connectors, all good/tight/clean.

Pulled R/R off and removed boot from connectors, all clean, no appearance of burnt anything, dielectric grease still in play.. all good or so it would seem.

Near as I can figure some portion of my battery has given up the ghost, at the very least I'll buy one tmw and run through the electrical diagnostics just to be sure. I'll also pull the lower cowls and check the ground and starter connections. I've checked them before (last year) cleaned, lubed, and re-tightened though, I can't imagine.

Any thoughts of things I've missed? I can't understand why all of the sudden the battery (if that's it), just went south. It's not even 3 years old at this point...

Thanks guys!

I would start with the basics.

Make sure the kickstand is up, and the switch isnt stuck either!

also, you said that the neutral light isn't coming on, fiddle with the shifter and rock the bike to get that light on....and check the handlebar kill switch!

Probably something real obvious, i know all about that.

Hope you get it goin, I'm waiting on a fuel pressure regulator myself and also hope i diagnosed my bike right!

Let us know What the outcome was...

Rob,

Sounds like the battery died. I have seen quite a few lead acids get a bad cell and not hold voltage under load.

The good thing is that a quick failure probably didn't damage the charging system.

I would charge the battery and try again or put in a replacement after charging it. Check the charging output with the usefull threads test.

Some of the guys have been posting up AGM style batterys sold at Walmart. I put a new yuasa in mine last year. Figured 7 years on the OEM was enough.

Sorry we didn't catch up last weekend. We made it as far south as Daytona for some Bubba Gumps.

Next time.

FWIW, you NEED to open any battery and check the fluid levels. I get good life out of most all my batteries by doing this. Even the sealed ones lose water over time....shortens the life and reduces the power output before it kills it off. Topping off the fluid with clean water maximizes life.

Cheers guys, thanks. Picked up an AGM 14 type from my local Batteries Plus, seems like a pretty decent store for everything battery, reasonable price points, and knowledgeable assistance.

New Battery worked like a charm, next mystery.... now to figure out a workaround for my continually breaking Powerbronze hugger situation.

Craig... no worries, we had a great time in Melbourne Beach, I just figured if you were in Haines City, that woulda been reasonably close... until next time! :icon_thumbsup: