CBR1100XX.org Forum

20,000 mile tire - my apologies Obby

joe

If you get a chance, peruse my web site (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joe.smith), but pay attention to the treads on my tires (the black bike). These are OEM tires with over 7,400 miles on them - they have worn down very little.

Months ago, Obby made the claim that he could get about 20,000 miles on his tires and I was one of the ones to dispute him. Well, I apologize Obby. I now see how that's possible.

And yes, I don't ride my bike very hard.

Joe

• 1 month later...

I have gotten 15500klm out of my last set of D205 tyres , but man were the hard in the end!!!! kaos in the dry and just plain stupid in the wet! but hey wen u got no $$$ u got no $$$ lol

and can u tell this poor ignorant man (namely me ) what OEM stands for plz!!!

On my OEM 205's I got about 5k out of them and still had over 1/2 the tread on them. I made 3 trips to the mountains (400 miles).

I was down to the cords in no time, buddy of mine still has 1k miles less than me and about 1/2 his rubber while I am on new tires.

I do believe if you ride like grandma, and don't unleash the bikes power you can get 20k miles out of a rear tire.

Dave

I've got to admit, after my accident, which could have easily been fatal, I've been a little gun-shy. Everytime I lean the bike over, I think about how hard the ground would feel if I fell. I know I must get over this fear, but it's been almost 2 years already. I don't ride the bike like it should be ridden, but I just don't have the heart to sell it. This is why I've been getting so many miles out of my tires.

Joe

after I win the lottery I'm getting tires every 4k miles!

at well over 50 thousand miles I've been through 5 sets of tires and have the 6th set on now. All were differant tires and I like the Battlax 10s best. I've gone to Batlax 20s after the 10s wore so fast.

For my tastes there is no better feeling than a fresh set of sticky tires. With a lot of highway miles always on the agenda for me I feel the flat spot is annoying some what past 4k miles. And generaly after 8 I want a new set and go past that becuase I'm so cheap. Well, broke now after divorce number two.

Everytime I lean the bike over, I think about how hard the ground would feel if I fell

The farther you lean over, the shorter the fall :grin:

Seriously, thinking like that can get you hurt. Your mind should be on what your doing, not some worst case scenario. I've never had a serious crash, so I can't give you any experienced advice, but taking (or re-taking) the MSF's experienced rider course would probably help, or even a track school. Two years is a long time.

Just my $.02, feel free to tell me to take a flying leap if I'm outta line :razz:

Everytime I lean the bike over, I think about how hard the ground would feel if I fell

Seriously, thinking like that can get you hurt. Your mind should be on what your doing, not some worst case scenario. I've never had a serious crash, so I can't give you any experienced advice, but taking (or re-taking) the MSF's experienced rider course would probably help, or even a track school. Two years is a long time.

Just my $.02, feel free to tell me to take a flying leap if I'm outta line :razz:

Ditto. Risk management is good when it does not take over your riding. Regaining confidence is critical (although, as Tim, I've never crashed hard so I don't know what it is to get back in the saddle).

Hugo

I had my bike high side on me once going into a right hander. I was lucky and stayed on the bike when she tried to buck me off. I managed to land somewhat back on the bike, landing on the rear brake pedal, and missing the left footpeg. I slid across the corner, and onto the side of the road.

I was thankful for still be sitting upright after what just happened seconds before. I developed a right turn phobea after that. I have worked on it for 2 yrs myself. I still don't push rights as hard as a left hander but the only thing helped me was a friends advise, (he is a MSF instructor)

He told me to ride a familar road, and work on my right handers. instead of seeing a mental image of me high siding again, think of you going thru the corner. I have done this and improved my problem..

I enjoy it so much I have visited Deals Gap, and prefer to stay in the mountains riding the corners :wink:

Just my $.02, feel free to tell me to take a flying leap if I'm outta line

No, you're not out of line. I actually appreciate all the advice.

During my accident, I was catapulted from my bike and was floating a couple of feet above ground for some distance like I was in suspended animation. I still think about that moment, like it was yesterday, and remember thinking, "I guess this is it; I'm finally punching out." I've seen motorcycle accidents on t.v. and noticed how hard the motorcyclists hit the ground, yet they still get up like it was nothing. Well, when gravity finally did get a hold of me, that feeling was no joke - THE GROUND HURTS! I started tumbling and couldn't stop - I didn't think I ever would. When I finally did, I just layed there looking at the clear blue sky wondering if I was still a part of this world or was on my way up. After some time, I tried to get up but just couldnt bear the pain.

You see, I can remember it like it was yesterday and this goes through my head when my bike starts getting squirly in a turn. I know I must get rid of this, or I might get hurt. Some would say that the only way for me to get over it, is to fall again.

I do like what Redbird said:

The farther you lean over, the shorter the fall
Sliding is a lot less painful than being slammed into the ground (that is, if you're wearing your gear). Speaking of which, I'm thankful I had mine on:

DSC00011-1.JPG

DSC00012-1.JPG

Thanks for the advice guys...

Joe