CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cam Sensor help

Wetzel

does it turn over?

does it have spark? if it turns over.

does it have compression?

It does turn over. It has good compression. I will have to check for spark. Im assuming it would have spark since I used my coils.

The head gasket Gaged the same thickness from the blown motor to the other one.

I just went out and bought new plugs. Im going to change them and hope for the best.

How would i check the timming?

Well that is going to be a little harder, but a timing light will work with a induction pickup.

When you pull the plugs stick one in the coil wire and touch it to some metal and turn over looking for a spark first, or just hold it and see if it shocks you.... :icon_twisted:

Also, a little gas sqirted in the carbs will deal with gas flow problems,

Check that alll your plugs are connected well. On top of the motor. Nothing pinched. by the frame, and motor. Make sure that you have put the plug wires on the right plug. And that the correct coil wire is to the + side of the coil. Got the ground wire on the frame and starter tight.

I forget is it carbed or Fi.

check all your fuzes including the one under the red cover...

I'm working on changing the plugs right now. I did get it to run for a few sec's. First three plugs are WET. Which is not a problem I bought new plugs just neglected to put them in

does it turn over?

does it have spark? if it turns over.

does it have compression?

It does turn over. It has good compression. I will have to check for spark. Im assuming it would have spark since I used my coils.

The head gasket Gaged the same thickness from the blown motor to the other one.

I just went out and bought new plugs. Im going to change them and hope for the best.

How would i check the timming?

Well that is going to be a little harder, but a timing light will work with a induction pickup.

When you pull the plugs stick one in the coil wire and touch it to some metal and turn over looking for a spark first, or just hold it and see if it shocks you.... :icon_twisted:

Also, a little gas sqirted in the carbs will deal with gas flow problems,

Check that alll your plugs are connected well. On top of the motor. Nothing pinched. by the frame, and motor. Make sure that you have put the plug wires on the right plug. And that the correct coil wire is to the + side of the coil. Got the ground wire on the frame and starter tight.

I forget is it carbed or Fi.

check all your fuzes including the one under the red cover...

I'm working on changing the plugs right now. I did get it to run for a few sec's. First three plugs are WET. Which is not a problem I bought new plugs just neglected to put them in

Well changed the pluged and now it seems to want to start even more. I will work on it alittle later dinner time

Make sure the intake manifold clamps are tight on both the head and carb ends.

They require being tightened a little more than spec as they harden with age...

IT IS RUNING. But not like it should be. It will not idle. It reminds me of my harley I use to own in that way.

Valves need to be adjusted Which I am not going to do. I will be sending it in to the shop for that.

Check your valve timing. Section8 in the manual.

If this was a drag motor it could have been changed or You may not have stock cams.

If this was a drag motor it could have been changed or You may not have stock cams.

+1

+1

I have read on up on them. I don't know if i can do this one. It will cost 300 to have it taken care of by the pro's

+1

I have read on up on them. I don't know if i can do this one. It will cost 300 to have it taken care of by the pro's

All you have to do is pull the valve cover and turn the motor over to "top dead center" on #1 cylinder. Then check and see if the timing marks on the cam sprockets are where they are supposed to be. You will also want to check to see if the cam sprocket mounting holes are "slotted". It's possible they may have slipped out of adjustment causing the bike to run bad. If you're not comfortable with all this, maybe one of the Wisconsin guys on here can help you out.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the things I have run into, is that the #1 can be #4 and have never understood just how it knows the difference. Now don't get me wrong, I know, but something I learned a long time ago, is that you need to assemble the entire motor to get it correct. And if your just doing the cams, I might be hard to know which number one it is.

If you pull the top balance cover, and turn the motor, the number one,,,, number one, only comes up when the mark aligns on this pointer. Tough call if the balancers are not in.

To clear up the Texan speak to those who don't ...#1 and #4 are at the top at the same time. But the cams are turning half speed. So the correct terms is #1 compression stroke. Now if the cams are out, you ain't going to get any compression,,,well that ain't right all your going to get is compression...

I have only seen it once, but just to be sure, check both the tdc marker and the balance marker for the win...

Questions from the translators???