CBR1100XX.org Forum

Roofing Question

Crusty

I have a bugalow and the current roof has aluminum in the valleys of the shingled roof. We are thinking of replacing it pretty soon, and the neighbor says the shingled valleys are just as good as the aluminum ones, and cost less.

Anyone have personal experience with this issue? :icon_think:

I have a bugalow and the current roof has aluminum in the valleys of the shingled roof. We are thinking of replacing it pretty soon, and the neighbor says the shingled valleys are just as good as the aluminum ones, and cost less.

Aluminum valleys are crap, IMO. You're better off with a cut or woven valley. You can have maybe .032" of aluminum (if you're lucky, .027 or even .019 are more common), or .5" of shingles. Yeah, the aluminum won't wear out, but it will dent, puncture, crease, ect. If I'm on a roof, I'll walk all over a shingled valley, but I definitely avoid walking on aluminum ones. If you must use a metal valley liner, go with galvanized, or better yet, copper.

Aluminum valleys are crap, IMO. You're better off with a cut or woven valley. You can have maybe .032" of aluminum (if you're lucky, .027 or even .019 are more common), or .5" of shingles. Yeah, the aluminum won't wear out, but it will dent, puncture, crease, ect. If I'm on a roof, I'll walk all over a shingled valley, but I definitely avoid walking on aluminum ones. If you must use a metal valley liner, go with galvanized, or better yet, copper.

Thanks ... I was asking beause we have lots of snow, ice, rain, here. Valleys tend to freeze up with wet snow, then, get icy. I thought the aluminum valleys would provide less chance of that occuring.

Thanks again for the feed back!

Ice and ice damming are a separate issue, not helped much by metal valley liners. Best bet there is to make sure any attic space is well insulated and ventilated, that solves 90% of the problem- the less snow you melt above living spaces, the less ice that develops on overhangs.

Secondly, ice and water barrier, preferably Grace. This is what can be done from a roofing standpoint. It mainly treats the symptom but it's effective. In heavy snow areas barrier should be installed 6' wide in all valleys and at least 4' past exterior walls on all gutter edges.

Let me know if you have any questions about any aspects of this, I've been in the business for over two decades.

Wow, I don't know about your local building codes. I was a roofer for 5 years before I joined the Navy. We always used galvanized steel roll in the valley, although copper is very common in other areas. It didn't matter if we wove the shingles or made I nice, neat cut. After the first two years using roll, we began using stamped galvanized steel in a kind of a W shape. Should look like this.

valley_flashing_lg.jpg

valley_flashing.jpg

This a copper version over galvanized roll. Notice the bottom of the galvanized is not contoured to the corner of the roof but allowed to extend with a 90 degree straight cut.

Some good advice on installing it..

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/r...g-details.shtml

We usually would install the flashing, nails at the edge of the outside. Run shingles along one side, pop a line about 1/2 inch from the crown on the flashing and cut. Do the other side and repeat. On the owners request, we would cut the shingle at the crown for a very tight finish. It was to code at the time, not sure if still correct. For a more subdued look, you can get galvanized that is coated in a darker brown or grey that would compliment the shingle color.

No code here requires metal valley liner. But if you were a roofer for 5 years however many years ago, I guess me and my 22 years experience (10 of those running my own company) will shut up. :icon_wink:

BTW, your second pic, bad idea. Do you know what happens long term when galvanized and copper are left in contact with each other, especially when there's moisture involved? Google "galvanic reaction".

It was a long time ago, I stand corrected.

No code here requires metal valley liner. But if you were a roofer for 5 years however many years ago, I guess me and my 22 years experience (10 of those running my own company) will shut up. :icon_wink:

BTW, your second pic, bad idea. Do you know what happens long term when galvanized and copper are left in contact with each other, especially when there's moisture involved? Google "galvanic reaction".

I'll give you a "galvanic reaction"!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Had the roof redone .. Used IKO Architectural shingles, they insisted on staying with the metal valleys(galvanized). They removed all old shingles, removed all vents, and replaced them, and installed five new vents as the roof was not vented properly. They put a heavy duty liner in the valley's and completely papered the whole roof, with ice barrier four feet from the eves all around.

I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and the work they did. The fellow showed up with the truck and container to dump the old roof into the night before, and was by himself. He had all the shingles inside the container, and had to unload them. I helped him by off loading them form the skids in the truck, and carrying them to edge so he could pick them up.

Fuck me.

That shit would get you in shape fast. 125 90lb bundles of shingles, all moved bending over.

Fuck me I'm in bad shape. :icon_neutral:

I had a cooler filled with Water/OJ/Coke/Ginger Ale/Gatorade for them.

They seemed to appreciate, and went through most of it as it was hot here, with full sun.

Good on you, a cooler full of drinks generates a lot of good will. You'd be surprised how few people bother.

BTW, IKO's (I'm assuming Cambridge) are only about 78lbs per bundle. :icon_wink:

Good man on the drinks. I still patch my own but it would kill me today to work like I used to.

Good on you, a cooler full of drinks generates a lot of good will. You'd be surprised how few people bother.

BTW, IKO's (I'm assuming Cambridge) are only about 78lbs per bundle. :icon_wink:

Shit. Well at 57 years, and unloading 2 skids of them bent over, it felt like 100lbs :icon_redface:

Good man on the drinks. I still patch my own but it would kill me today to work like I used to.

Thanks.. having done a lot of manual labour in the past, you don't forget.