CBR1100XX.org Forum

LOW BEAM REPLACEMENT

02BIRD

the low beam burned out going to replace is there an easy way to get to it or do i need to remove plastic?

Yes.

Not to hijack your thread, but what is a good replacement bulb that offers more light, and can I go with higher wattage, not looking to go HID.

A good replacement is the Silvania SilverStar...

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A...son/default.htm

But they are spendy, and they tend to have a short life for some.....

and for about the same price... but for some reason you don't want too....

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-...orcycle-HID-Kit

Removing the dash panels can generally get you in there okay. The trick is being able to see what you are doing. If you have good feel in your fingers and your hands aren't too fat, you can reach up from under the cowl and change the bulb. If you're right handed, I'd suggest you sit on the left of the bike with it on the centerstand, and reach up under the cowl with your right arm. First, you should look inside and up underneath with a mirror if you can to orient yourself.

Here's what the back of the headlight looks like. The bottom (high) beam) bulb is removed and the dust cover is in place on the upper (low beam). Peel back the dustcover and pull the socket off the bulb, pushing it out of the way. The wire retainer that you see swivels on the right, and clips under the brassy colored hook on the left of the bulb.

post-4340-1274705704.jpg

Here's a closer view with the retainer in place. That's an HID bulb in there, but it allows you a better look at what's going on.

post-4340-1274705722.jpg

Press in on the loop of the retainer on the left hand side.....

post-4340-1274705731.jpg

Pull it down.....

post-4340-1274705743.jpg

And swivel it out as the first picture showed. Note how the bulb is oriented when you pull it out so that you can reinsert the new bulb in the same fashion and spend less time trying to get it to seat in the guides.

Nice write up, Joe.

This should REALLY be moved to the "Important/Useful threads" section once it's run through the garage for a little while.

Nice write up, Joe.

This should REALLY be moved to the "Important/Useful threads" section once it's run through the garage for a little while.

+1

The retainer clip gave me fits on my first try. Those pictures make it so much easier.

I have used the Osram Night Buster series (when the ballasts on my HID cooked when my stator and RR crapped) and it gives good light.

My biggest problem is that the XX was designed to be worked on by teeeeny little Japanese guys - my hands are too big to fit in between the fairing stay and the headlamp, and I ALWAYS lose skin somewhere or other.

Not to hijack your thread, but what is a good replacement bulb that offers more light, and can I go with higher wattage, not looking to go HID.

Phillips Vision Plus

Same wattage as stock, so no worries about melting mounting pieces.

EDIT

I have not tried these yet, but THIS looks like the way to go.

Get HIDs now - thank me later.

No kidding, they are great and may even save your life. I run 35W high and low beam 4300K which look natural white.

Many cars pull over to let me by even on low beam in the daytime. Most cars will pull over if I hit the high beam.

At night you can actually see better than in a normal car. The only problem is in corners the beam pattern still dips even on high beam.

Plus you are saving 20W (55W- 35W) on low beam and another 30W on high beam (65W - 35W). That may save your whole charging system.

• 6 years later...

Good write up Joe!         

I was able to get to the low beam by removing the two trim pieces below the cluster and reach between the top triple and below the cluster. Removing the windscreen helped give some elbow room.

I used the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra and really don't think it's any brighter than the stock Phillips bulb.

When I did my Dodge truck 9006 bulb, I used the regular Silverstar, and it seemed equal to the stock bulb.

Not sure these higher priced bulbs are worth it.  I have a spare now for eack, but when I buy again, will probabaly just get a standard Philips or Sylvania.

I've put Ultra bulbs in a few vehicles and the difference was night & day to whatever they replaced.  They have a shorter life expectancy than 'normal' bulbs and I believe they run hotter.