CBR1100XX.org Forum

lean spot with K/N

nybryan

Seems my bike developed a bit of a flat spot at 5200 rpm since I added a K/N airfilter. Bikes is stock besides the filter. I never removed the inner gasket from the air box when i added the K/N. Is this a common problem. Maybe the filter is not sealing right. Other thoughts before i go back to stock. It only happens at steady throttle, a flat spot hick-up as I'm chugging along

Is your bike injected or carb?

My '97 LOST the 5500RPM flat spot when I put the K&N and slipons on it - even with stock pipes the flat spot was noticeably better.

You say that its more prominent at a steady throttle - is the engine hunting up and down on a fixed throttle? Surging?

injected bike and yes surging is more accurate. When i put in the K/N airfilter on my 02 the lid of the airbox wouldn't close. It sat up about a 1/4 inch. slow tightening the screws closed it down. I later learned that there is a gasket inside the airbox that should have been removed when i added the K/N. I am wondering if the K/N airfilter is not position correctly and letting some air leak by. Could this be causing the situation im talking about?

injected bike and yes surging is more accurate. When i put in the K/N airfilter on my 02 the lid of the airbox wouldn't close. It sat up about a 1/4 inch. slow tightening the screws closed it down. I later learned that there is a gasket inside the airbox that should have been removed when i added the K/N. I am wondering if the K/N airfilter is not position correctly and letting some air leak by. Could this be causing the situation im talking about?

So I've heard. I have a carby bird, so it's a little different, but others who have FI have noticed this problem before.

The XX I used to have ran better with an OEM filter than the K&N that came with the bike.

I have a carbed bird and just changed out the OEM filter with a K&N and noticed I have more torque but there's definitely a very pronounced flat spot around 5500. I'm curious if the increased airflow on the carbed models require a re-jet.

I have a carbed bird and just changed out the OEM filter with a K&N and noticed I have more torque but there's definitely a very pronounced flat spot around 5500. I'm curious if the increased airflow on the carbed models require a re-jet.

Do you still have your stock pipes on? The move to slipons cured my flat spot. Made it noisy as hell tho...

Do you still have your stock pipes on? The move to slipons cured my flat spot. Made it noisy as hell tho...

Yeah, still have the stock cans. I don't have any particular interest in changing them out either, but if you also had the flat spot that resolved itself with new cans, I think it pretty much means a re-jet if I want to keep stock cans.

The K&N made my fuel mileage terrible and felt like less power with my butt-dyno. Put the stock filter back in and back to normal...it's a '99 with Scorpion slip-ons.

On my '98 carbed bird, a K&N + Yoshi slip ons (& later, '99 headers), cured the flat spot. And they weren't too loud.

With the injecteds, the K&N is in a flexible surround that replaces the O-ring in the airbox lower. The K&N for the carbed birds, is in a hard surround that uses the airbox as is.

so on my injected bike the problem is likely that i left the o ring in the airbox and have a wierd seal. I'm going back to stock

If I were you I would just use the O-ring that came with the K&N and take out the one in the airbox...you won't have any problems, trust me I have walked in your shoes!

• 3 weeks later...