CBR1100XX.org Forum

pilot powers vs pilot roads follow up question

nybryan

I have a set of bridgestone020 on the bike that are worn out < 4000miles> rear tire not drag racing. I think the motor would just rip them up as they aren't that sticky. They never felt sure footed on this bike. I run a bird with hard bags i guess i run aggressive street pace, not race pace. Pilot roads or powers, I would like to get more then 4000 miles out of tires but i don't want them sliding in the corners. I generally don't late apex. Best guess welcome on what i should get.

I ran Pilot Road II's last year at RacerXX and just replaced them this year in preperation for RacerXX 2.

I expect to get maybe 4000 miles ( if I am lucky) on the Powers I ran at this years RacerXX event.

I get twice that milage on Pilot Road II's (8000 miles) and have never had a problem with them even acting like they were going to skip out on me.

I am about to replace my Pilot Powers and save them for next years RacerXX track day and put on a new set of Road II's again for the milage.

I replaced mine last year about a month or 2 before putting her into storage, and after searching and searching these forums, I decided on Pilot Power 2CT on the front, and Pilot Road 2CT on the rear. The "2CT" is dual compound which they claim puts a softer compound closer to the edges than in the middle. These tires have worked perfectly for me as mine is a daily commuter with luggage and all, and this also helps to wear the tire more evenly (the softer compound on the edges will wear faster, compensating for the fact that I will generally ride a bit less on the sides than the center in long distance straight-line riding).

Last year, I got very comfortable riding in the rain to the point that I am willing to ride in any rain I still have visibility in (provided the road oil's had a chance to rinse away) and they've been surprisingly sticky, even in panic stop situations. I've been very surprised at just how well they'll grip, even in the rain. I figure this way, the tires wear out around the same time even if I could get a few more miles out of the front if I changed to a road pilot I'd rather change them together. Plus that extra grip in the rain, tires are always cheaper than a new bike :)

Pilot Road 2CT rear, Pilot Power front. Works for me.

Same combo for me on the Busa .. works great. Have 5k on the rear right now, and right around 2mm of tread left, might get 6k from it. Granted it was my winter tire and mounted in October. Mileage could be substantially less on my next set once the roads are clean and the riding pace picks up.

Anyway, the PR2 is a great tire, last long and it's pretty damn sticky for an s/t tire. And who cares about giving up a tiny bit of grip, after all, sliding through turns can be fun :)

thanks seems the road is the choice for the rear. now for the front.

do the roads up front last long enough to burn two rears to one front < i assume i will still get 4-5k miles out of the rear>?

for the guys that mix the power and roads when you change out the rear what is generally left of the power front when the rear is cooked?

My thinking is, if im not going to get two rears to every front with the roads i might as well put a power up front.

With the stones 020 i think the front tire would go another rear but i just don't like the tire enough to keep it.

Hey guy's

Hope this may help some of you guy's looking for tires now. I have a buddy just open his cycle shop and has what look's to be great deals on michelin tires.

pilot power's 194.00+ 10 shipping=204 a set

Pr'2's for 245.oo + shipping 10.00=255 a set

ct'2's 255.00+10.00 shipping=265 a set

Pricing good through the end of the month!!

Call Tom @ 410-616-9962 or 410-370-0357

To the moderator please put this in the right section if this is not the place for it.

Tom would also like be a sponsor of the site. for further group discount's.

do the roads up front last long enough to burn two rears to one front < i assume i will still get 4-5k miles out of the rear>?

for the guys that mix the power and roads when you change out the rear what is generally left of the power front when the rear is cooked?

My thinking is, if im not going to get two rears to every front with the roads i might as well put a power up front.

With the stones 020 i think the front tire would go another rear but i just don't like the tire enough to keep it.

Using the Power Front with the Road rear it seems that they are wearing just about the same. Based on their current wear I will most likely swap them both out around 6k. On the XX I used a Metzeler Z6 rear and M1 front and i would get about twice from the front as the rear.

My thinking is, if I'm not going to get two rears to every front with the roads i might as well put a power up front.

When I got my XX in 06 I was running std (not 2ct) PPf & PRr and was getting ~12 000km from a front and 10 000km to flat spotting the rear past the wear bars, then went to the PR2 rears and got about the same distance but was wearing out the sides not the centres and much better corner grip :icon_biggrin:

I currently have a PR2 front and it is worn past the wear bar @~16 000km so not 2>1 :icon_confused:

I think I will go back to a PP front though as while the PR2 wore longer it didn't tip in as quickly as the PP :icon_think:

I run Pilot Road 2's front and rear.

My last set of tires went a little over 8,000 miles. There was still tread, but it was down to the wear bars front and rear.

My current set won't make it that long. You can blame a certain road in Arizona for that. :icon_whistle:

No way could I keep a front tire through two rear tires. And, yes, the PR2 front tire sticks well.

• 3 weeks later...

My thinking is, if I'm not going to get two rears to every front with the roads i might as well put a power up front.

When I got my XX in 06 I was running std (not 2ct) PPf & PRr and was getting ~12 000km from a front and 10 000km to flat spotting the rear past the wear bars, then went to the PR2 rears and got about the same distance but was wearing out the sides not the centres and much better corner grip :icon_biggrin:

I currently have a PR2 front and it is worn past the wear bar @~16 000km so not 2>1 :icon_confused:

I think I will go back to a PP front though as while the PR2 wore longer it didn't tip in as quickly as the PP :icon_think:

I was going to go back to a PP front due to the quicker steering but couldn't get any ATM, I've put on a Pilot Pure which is supposedly similar to the PP2ct but with even more area of softer compound on the sides :icon_surprised:

So far have done ~1000km with some 2 up touring/quick street riding on a night ride through industrial estates and a high speed country ride and the Pure certainly sticks well and handles well (although maybe not quite as quick as the PP :icon_confused: ). Will be interested to see what sort of wear I get as there is a little feathering on the sides already :icon_think:

I have a set of bridgestone020 on the bike that are worn out < 4000miles> rear tire not drag racing. I think the motor would just rip them up as they aren't that sticky. They never felt sure footed on this bike. I run a bird with hard bags i guess i run aggressive street pace, not race pace. Pilot roads or powers, I would like to get more then 4000 miles out of tires but i don't want them sliding in the corners. I generally don't late apex. Best guess welcome on what i should get.

Currently on PR2 Rear, Power 2CT front, works great and get about 6k out of the rears with fairly aggressive riding...

I just had a set of PP's installed, front and rear. The local dealers were smoking something with pricing, even for mount and ballance, other than one shop that'd just opened and had the PP set for $214 out the door after tax.

As to how they'll handle over time, I'm not sure yet, but I'm willing to replace a rear at 4-5k if they keep handling anywhere near as sure footed as they are as I'm still breaking them in!