Euro Switch

EVLXX

Wanted a Euro switch,

Didn't want to wait for one, nor pay for it,

then after talking with Stan about his,

new I could make my own.

Pictorial...

Edited to add:

First things first. I looked at the Wiring Diagram, after talking with Stan. He said the wiring for the Euro switch is in all models, and that it's the Blue/white stripe wire.

The diagram shows a Bu/W wire coming off the Starter switch, and going to the Low beam Headlight, and to the High Low switch. ( From the Hi/Lo switch it changes to a Blue wire, then travels to the Headlight relay, which powers the High Beam.

So, what this means is, that if you cut Blue/white wire, and put a Switch in it, you'll have your Headlight On/Off (euro) switch.

Stan also told me that all of the right control housing have the room and space for the switch. Which completely makes sense when you consider production costs, etc.

So I decided I wanted, the switch in the right control housing, and that I just needed to find a small switch and make it happen.

A trip to my local Auto parts store, and I had a Mini Blue lighted Rocker switch for $3.99, and set package of .185 female blade connectors $ 2.??, + tax.

1st picture, after taking off the lower half of the housing, and carefully drilling, and filling out the needed hole in the housing, we have a switch socket. (note the rocker switch is wider on the top than the bottom, I took my time and made it fit almost perfectly)

2. A trial fit of the switch, revealed, the blades were already contacting the Bar assembly. OK, some finangling is going to be needed to fit the blade connector onto the blades and have room for wires as well.

3. So I decided to shorten all of the Blades and all of the Connectors to match. A small metal file works best here, especially because a sander or grinder could cause to much heat and damage the switch. After filling down the connector, I also flattened out the wire crimp sleeve, and made it so that I could soder the wire on at a perpendicular angle. All of this was needed to make the switch fit into the housing.

4. I cut the Bu/W wire coming of the Starter switch about 1 inch back, this would give me just enough room to attach the blade connector and tuck it in the housing above the starter switch. I then added about 1.5 inches of white wire to the out bound Bu/W wire, again this is just enough wire to tuck in, around and under everything. Then I coated all the connection with multiple coats of Liquid Tape. ( this took a while since the Liquid tape takes 4 hours to fully dry. )

5.After adding a green ground wire, for the lighted switch to work, and another test fit, I found I still needed just a little more room, so I bent the blades on the switch forward. This just, and I mean just, let everything fit into the housing and not touch the housing wire protection plate that's inside the housing ( not shown), and not touch the bar either. Then I decided just for an added bit of security, I would put a piece of semi tough plastic over the switch, in-between the wires and the metal parts. The clear plastic case the blade connector came in worked great.

6. All done and Headlights off. I know the picture is kinda dark, I was haveing problems with the flash on tha camera and all. Maybe tomorrow or sometime, I'll take a better picture outside, to give you a better view of just how well it looks.

7. Headlights On. Perfect, and easy to understand, day or night.

With all that said, yes I could have just cut into the Bu/W wire outside of the housing, and put a switch inline, and mounted it anywhere, A-Lot easier, but I want it to look like it was factory.

So for about $10 anybody can have there own Euro Headlight switch. :icon_biggrin:

post-726-1268349372.jpg

post-726-1268349375.jpg

post-726-1268349376.jpg

post-726-1268349377.jpg

post-726-1268349378.jpg

post-726-1268349379.jpg

post-726-1268349380.jpg

Looks good, Eric. You might include a little more info. You know about the blue/white wire.

Also for the less ambitious one of these would probably be simpler though might not look as good. You could hook it up by cutting the blue/white wire without even having to open up the housing.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Produc...s/switches.html

Edit:

A euro switch is an OEM switch that has an off setting for the headlight. You can turn off the headlight pretty much anywhere but in the US. We're "special".

Also I just took another look and I don't know that there is room for that switch I posted.

Yes, I'd like more info on the "blue/white" wire. Are they already in the switch housing or

did you bring them in from somewhere else? A little bit of a circuit/hook up diagram, even

a crude one, would be quite helpful.

Good looking modification job.

Sorry for the lack of extra info, I've been a little busy with multiple projects (just finish another HID install on a friends vehicle), etc. and just wanted to get it posted.

I'll edit the first post with more info when I get a chance, and maybe a brighter picture with the switch in the off position.

I'll bite;

what is a euro switch?

It lets you turn the headlight off. Reccomended if you install HIDs, or just don't want to ride around all day with your light on.

I'm not as talented as Eric, so mine came from eBay UK.

Looks good Eric. I like how you cut down the terminals to make it fit.

Thanks, it's not on par with your projects, but I'll take the compliment just the same. :icon_biggrin:

So I guess it works, lol.

LOL.

So you caught that I didn't have the bike on in pic # 6, did ya.

That is funny.

And yes, the switch and Headlight both turn on together. I just didn't have a big mirror handy to show you both of them at the same time. :icon_biggrin:

(Aaaa...but did you catch what's missing, In the last 2 pics ? It's not in any of the first pics either, you would just have to either figure it out, or know that I usually have one on the bike. Yes, one project creates another one. Now I have a New project. LoL.)

Nice job...The real Euro switch has a mid position between the "off" and "on" that supplies power to the little 3 watt marker light in the Euro headlight. Know that little black cap on the underside of the front nose fairing? removal will give you access to the marker light socket on the Euro headlights. The US headlight version does not have the required attachments for the marker light.

The real Euro switch has a mid position between the "off" and "on" that supplies power to the little 3 watt marker light in the Euro headlight.

Nice !

Hmmmm. I didn't think about trying to buy the Actual Euro Switch (just the switch, not the whole control housing).... from Honda.

That might have been easier...

Still might be a good idea for some others to try.

You can turn off the headlight pretty much anywhere but in the US. We're "special".

You're not the only "special" ones :icon_rolleyes: Our Oz switches are permanently on as well :icon_confused:

I bought a nice euro switch specifically made for the blackbird for use with a quick action throttle... plug n play... hooked it all up.... bike wouldnt start.... nothing worked I was like WTF.... then I grabbed the front brakes to see if the tail light would work and the bitch fired right up...lmao. Oh well I suck with wiring so I cant re wire it.

Important Information

Terms of Use