CBR1100XX.org Forum

Table Saw Upgrade - Opinions Welcome

BigMig

The Delta table saw that I use now has a crappy (inexact and not reliably square) fence, as well as no dust collection. I'm looking to upgrade my small basement based shop and spend under $1000 (shipping, etc included in the $1K) for a new/replaqcement table saw. I don't do much with full sheets of plywood, but instead work with smaller projects.

I've read some good things about a Jet model (http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=24158), but I think some of you XXers may have experiences that could help me make a final decision. Are there other models or brands out there that I should be looking at?

• 2 weeks later...

Delta makes a Contractors saw with Unifence that fits into your price range. Why not just get a good fence for your saw and adapt a dust collector? I'd look at something used and try to find saw with a sliding table. Grizzley also has some made in China copies of just about every woodworking machine out there at decent prices.

I'm looking to upgrade my small basement based shop and spend under $1000 (shipping, etc included in the $1K) for a new/replaqcement table saw. I don't do much with full sheets of plywood, but instead work with smaller projects.

As a remodeling contractor, I use my table saw ALOT. For years I hauled around a big, sturdy, HD tablesaw. Just moving it around the shop was a PIA, muchless loading and unloading it to take to jobsites. It took up to way to much room.

Since then I purchased a Ryobi folding table saw and love it. Big enough to cut 3/4 sheets, folding and portable so it does not take up any space in my trailer. Hook up a shop vac and she makes very little mess. Get a adjustable "T" shaped board holder for the longer stuff and your set.

Space in shops and basements are a premium. Unless it is a tool/machine you use alot. I would not put something that takes up alot of space and is not easily movable.

Way to go, guys! This gives me some good alternatives to consider.

Re: upgrading the fence - I guess that would cost a couple hundred bucks, and I'd still have dust everywhere. Plus, I was considering making a zero clearance insert - when I realized the plate is exactly that - a steel plate with almost no thickness, making the insert a difficult upgrade.

I DID take a stab at home-made dust collection - cardboard sheets on the base with a port for my ShopVac - and still - lots of dust bec the saw isn't made for dust collection. there are big gaps between the base and the table top, etc.

I'll look at the Ryobi, Delta and Grizzly.

Mike

there are big gaps between the base and the table top, etc.

Alittle metal air duct tape may solve that problem. Try normal duct tape first and if it seals it use the metal tape.

YMMV