CBR1100XX.org Forum

Water softener settings

Redbird

Been having problems with my water softener lately. It began when I had the well pump replaced, they bypassed the softener when they fired everything back up and never turned it back "on". I didn't realize this until later, after I had played with all the knobs and buttons trying to get it to do something, anything.

So, it now works fine and will rinse/regenerate manually no problem. But whatever settings those dials are supposed to be on are completely hosed by me dicking around with them. Any advice? House is ~3,200 s/f, 2.5 bath, family of four, if any of that matters.

122070248.jpg

Been having problems with my water softener lately. It began when I had the well pump replaced, they bypassed the softener when they fired everything back up and never turned it back "on". I didn't realize this until later, after I had played with all the knobs and buttons trying to get it to do something, anything.

So, it now works fine and will rinse/regenerate manually no problem. But whatever settings those dials are supposed to be on are completely hosed by me dicking around with them. Any advice? House is ~3,200 s/f, 2.5 bath, family of four, if any of that matters.

122070248.jpg

No paperwork, manual, owner's guide..?

Then, I suspect you're gonna need some guidance from the unit's manufacturer or local authorized dealer. There are a number of variables involved (incoming pressure, line size, unit capacity, flow rate, etc.) that you can pretty well estimate, but knowing the exact values is a better way to go. You can probably have the local guy (authorized dealer/installer) talk you through a baseline setting over a phone... I'd sure try that first... Best of luck!

No, can't find the manual here or online.

I've got the most of the data required to set it, I'm just at a loss as to exactly what those dials on the right do/mean. I may just end up taking your advice and calling a pro. He'll most likely insist on coming out and charging me, which is fair, whatever knowledge he has is worth money....anyway, I'll probably poke around a few more days before I give in and call a pro.

Any luck? It looks like the right knob is for setting the # of gallons before regeneration.

Most softeners regenerate solely based on time. Some higher end units have 2 tanks and switch back and forth based on usage (gallons) And some use both. That looks like what you have. It measures usage and recognizes when it's getting close to needing to be regenerated, then does so at the nexxt scheduled time.

Probably didn't help getting it set, huh? :icon_doh:

The problem is that dial rotates on it's own like a clock. Given that, setting it on a specific capacity in gallons seems like a crap shoot unless you know what you're doing. The center portion pulls out and rotates independent of the outside dial, closest I can figure is certain things need to be aligned when you set the capacity. I dunno.

It's working now, but not all that well. The water gets a little aromatic before it cycles, then gets too soft, hard to rinse soap off. It's been filed under "good enough" and back burnered until I feel like paying someone to come in a set it up.