CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air nail guns

SwampNut

I already have a similar nailer, up to 1 5/8". I can't imagine what I'd need the larger size for, since it seems a 2" nail would be the wrong size for most things. So...

But speaking of cabinet making, if you know the right ways to use a nailer in finish work, how about starting a new thread on it? I could use some tips. So far I've only used mine for rough work, which is good, since I occasionally get a deviating nail out the side of the piece, and I'm not sure how to fill/finish over the nail holes.

I us my brad nailer for trim work mostly, baseboards, window frames door molding and the like. I shoot a couple of nails into a piece of scrape before I start and then adjust the air pressure to get the nails to countersink with out leaving the bit mark, after everything is done I will iether use a wood-filler and paint or just stain it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have all sizes of air nailers from a large framing nailer capable of shooting nails into concrete, to tiny brad nailers. I don't have any DeWalt guns, but the size Carlos posted the pic of is what we normally use for installing millwork. I have used it for nailing face frames on paint grade cabinets and large crown on stained cabinets, but we mostly use them for crown, base, casing, staircases, etc.

Our painters normally take care of the nail holes unless they are in cabinet casework, and then we either fill with matching putty if the cabinets are already stained, or with species matching filler if they are to be job site finished.