CBR1100XX.org Forum

Workouts

Just checking in:

Made it to week 8 and the last workout of the week is tonight- no missed workouts during that time (3 days a week) and included 15 mins of cardio prior to each session. Been doing pushups (40+30) and crunches/leg lifts (60+20) each weekday morning for the last 2 weeks. Also, this week I've been trying to switch it up, so I've gone to 20 rep sets (3). Plan on taking next week off

Switched to a Paleo diet about 2 weeks in and have maintained about 90% of the time. Just a couple slips here and there; even bought gluten free beer and switched over to Crown on the rocks for drink of choice. Cut cheese and sugar out of my already low carb diet. Added fresh fruit and limited the processed stuff. Two jumbo eggs for breakfast, and orange or apple for lunch, and normally a meat and green for dinner.

So I'm down about from 226 lbs to 213 lbs (which wasn't the goal, but a nice side effect). I'm starting to see more definition in shoulders and neck, but all in all feel more solid. Once I return after next week, I'd like to place a heavier focus on cardio and flexibility. May move from 15 to 20 mins for cardio and include stretching before and after workout. We'll see.

Excellent work, Mark. One small suggestion would be to try swapping your cardio to after your lifting. I think your lifts will go up and then you can finish yourself off with the cardio.

• 1 year later...

As usual this place is dead. Fuck fitness. :ph34r:

I finally went back to more of a body part split after doing "total body" type workouts for quite a while. I have been doing it for a few months now minus some down time/off the wagon time and I am really liking it. I feel like I am not constantly warming up another body part since I was working multiple unrelated muscle groups in every workout. I also feel like I can really thrash whatever muscle group(s) I am working that day more than I could with the total body routines.

I like simple and as such my current routine is this.

MONDAY: Chest/Bicep
Incline Bench 5x5
Incline Fly 4x12-20
Flat Bench 3x6-10
EZ bar curl 4x5
Dumbbell curl 3x8-12
Chins 3x10-15

TUESDAY: Back/Abs
Deadlift 4x6-10
Dumbbell Row 3-4x6-10
Pull up 3x8-12
Reverse Fly 4x10-15
Hanging Leg Raise 3-4x6-10
Bicycle Crunch 3x10-20

THURSDAY: Shoulders/Tris/Abs
Overhead Press 4x5
Lateral Raise 4x8-12
Rear Delt Raise 3x10-15
Skull Crusher 3x6-10
Dips 3x8-12
Rope Pushdown 3x10-15
V Up 4x6-12

FRIDAY: Legs
Squat 5x6-12
Bulgarian Split Squat 4x8-15
RDL 4x6-10
Lying Leg Curl 3-4x8-15
Calf Raise 4-5x6-12
Uni DB Calf Raise 3x10-15

I put it together using this:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/tried-and-true-bodybuilding-program-template

So far so good. I have had to tweak it a bit recently and it seems to be working well.

Now I just need to get my conditioning on track. A while back I decided to just stop trying to get lean and see how much weight I would gain if I just ate like a fuck head. I went from 220 to about 248 over a few months. Its actually kind of cool...other than the gut/handles. Now I am slowly trying to get the pendulum to swing back the other way. I would like to keep some of the weight but convert it from lard to muscle.

I screwed up my back pretty good right before Thanksgiving and am just now getting back to any kind of organized exercise. Previously I had been drifting away from any attempts to build mass and just focusing on flexibilty, core strength and keeping my BF low. I'm leaning even harder that way now, because injuries suck. I've accepted I'm never going to be a huge guy and I'm fine with it.

My workouts now consist of 30-45 minutes of stretching/cardio/core stuff (a lot of this is stuff I picked up at martial arts combined with more traditional exercises) followed by 20-30 minutes of lifting. I'm keeping the lifting light, mostly in the 12-15 rep range (x3). I'll do chest and shoulders one day, day off, then legs and back. Lather rinse, repeat. The smaller muscle groups take care of themselves. My goals are less about muscle mass and lifting heavy and more about general fitness these days.

If it weren't winter I'd love to get out on the bike more, but the wife just bought an elliptical that we're picking up this weekend. I might actually use the thing on off days until the weather improves a bit.

Yeah, I know there's really no workout outlined here, but it's traffic and discussion in a section that could use it. :)

Pffft... you old guys.

Seriously though, these days my cycles are less about "how big can I get" and more about "how hard can I go without getting hurt".

Got off a LONG, overly complicated, VERY effective powerlifting cycle and I think I'm going to back off a minute. That is to say, never do that again. I'm going to downshift to a 5x5 to maintain the "big 3" and do like Redbird with more mobility and conditioning work. If I can keep a 1350 powerlifting total and still do a 5k whenever I feel like it, I'll consider that a win.

Damn, 1350? That's an impressive number, man, nice work.

Thanks. Impressive is relative though, since I'm the LITTLE GUY in my circle :blink:
You're an animal. :-) Its that 500+# deadlift. Some day.

Thanks. Impressive is relative though, since I'm the LITTLE GUY in my circle :blink:

a LOT of it is DL, yeah. I just don't like going that heavy anymore.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I say 1350, but that was peak and in retrospect, I don't think I can / want to maintain that. 1250 gets you into that 3 plate, 4 plate, 5 plate lift range. As an OCD number chasing lifter, I can accept that.

5 plate+ Deadlift

4 plate+ squat

3 plate+ bench

2 plate+ Overhead press

1 plate+ ...bicep curl / preacher curl?

a LOT of it is DL, yeah. I just don't like going that heavy anymore.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I say 1350, but that was peak and in retrospect, I don't think I can / want to maintain that. 1250 gets you into that 3 plate, 4 plate, 5 plate lift range. As an OCD number chasing lifter, I can accept that.

5 plate+ Deadlift

4 plate+ squat

3 plate+ bench

2 plate+ Overhead press

1 plate+ ...bicep curl / preacher curl?

Yeah thats nice.

My goal is a 3 plate DL. With my back I doubt Ill ever push for 4.

No fused vertebrae. I did have an L4/L5 diskectomy/laminectomy in 2000. I am much better now but still manage to overdo it occasionally. I am 100% sure my technique could use some coaching. I am also sure that would instantly improve my DL.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been contemplating (lazily thinking over and over) about getting back into a routine of fitness training of some sort. From the time I was a little kid I was the pudgy kid and rolled into fatter and fatter. Around 23 years old I was at 255# wearing 42" and pushing into 44" pants. My chick and I broke up which sent me into an emotionally inspired lack of eating for a few days. Around day 4 I stepped on the scale and liked the number so I decided to fast, for a much longer time than would be advised. Shortly thereafter I started working out 3-4 days a week. My typical session was: stretching, 30-60 minutes on a treadmill, 30-60 minutes of weights, sometimes closing on a treadmill and/or some stretching. In a fairly short time I was at 165# with about an 8% body fat. I wasn't gaining much muscle mass, party genetics and a lot because I wasn't eating enough, but I was down to 31" pants. I stopped the workouts and caring about what I ate and have hovered around 170-175# ever since. I call it resetting the fatostat. I've recently become lazier and have some old man gut growing, I'm 45 going on 46 soon. I haven't gained enough weight to justify the gut which tells me I've lost good mass.

What I miss the most is being able to go at it all night long. There was a time where 8 loads was impressive, now I'm happy I can get one and I'm not cumming back for another. Maybe an 18 year old hottie would add inspiration, but that would likely require a payment.

I have no point here. A little venting, realization, and outing myself to hopefully inspire doing some exercise. Oh, and boasting that I had a period of laying pipe to a rotation of chicks.

Much of this thought was kicked by bumping into an old photo of me at a shooting meet with Carlos, Hugo, and some random non-members where I was kinda lean & mean.

• Upvote 2

I did today! I lifted two AR15s, one Mosin M44, Beretta 9mm and .25 auto, a Romanian PSL, a Ruger 10-22, Savage model 10, and maybe some others.

I was also a lazy fuck and drove the targets out.

I will try to get on a program and outing myself here is the beginning.

• Upvote 1

That's awesome. Good weight too. I can't remember if i mentioned it already but my 19yo daughter is lifting now too. This is week four for her. She isn't putting up those numbers but I'm proud of her for lifting and she seems to like it.

• Upvote 1

Aside from Sunday..been sticking to a very healthy diet the past 2 weeks. I noticed I have chin fat and that isn't something I'm going to live with.

The diet is zero sugar and no junk food. Simple and sustainable.

Up to 208 with shorts, sneakers and a hoodie. Need to get to 215 by summer.

Sunday I was muscling 200+ maple tree rounds into the log splitter. Wow...back was on fire.

Ate a huge dinner of chicken and rice last night. Starving in 90mins. Then ate 2 bananas and a peanut butter sandwich before the gym. Metabolism is kicking!

Edited by TuffguyF4i
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm maintaining 185, was down to 182.

For quite a while I would have a veggie omelette for breakfast, apple at around 9:00 am and workout at 11;00 am. Didn't have a lot of energy for the workout. Followed it with a protein shake.

The past week I've had a protein bar about 30 minutes before workout as well as an energy drink. Holy Moly!! What a difference in my workouts. The weights went up drastically in just a week. I am still working out 4-5 days a week.

I'm not worth a fuck if I don't eat something before my workout. I have found that a banana about 30 prior helps a lot. I also have been taking Mr. Hyde pre-workout for quite a while. Fuck me that stuff is potent. I still typically don't take a full dose...unless its leg day.

Whatever you do eating some carbs before your workout will help a lot. Carbs=fuel.

After 3 weeks of using a pre-workout supplement I was able to bench press 230 lbs 3 times.

I also started taking Mr Hyde.

Yeah, Fuck me that stuff is potent!!!!

I too had to cut back on the dosage.

• 1 month later...

Bump this up again!

I have been reluctant to post anything here as it generally fall away from my plan early on. I had never actually be in any kind of workout or exercise routine in my life. I was 135 lbs (skinny) from the time I was a teenager up until about age 45. At 45 I had a roommate that was a little over weight and I wanted to try again to gain some good weight so we found a deal at bally's Fitness here locally. We both got up early (5;30am) three days a week and spent 1.5 hours working out. we did this for just over a year and he lost about 25 lbs and I gained 25lbs. My highest weight was 161 lbs. I was very happy with the results and felt really good with myself. Still slightly thin for 5"11" tall but not skinny like I had always been. My roommate got married and moved out of town and i stopped going to the gym since I had noone to motivate me. I fell back to 150-155 lbs and settled there for over 10 years. Last year for some unknown reason (old age) I suddenly started putting on weight. before I realized it I was up to 176lbs and hated looking at the gut that I developed. Still thin but now thin with a gut! After getting my annual physical this year in late March, I spoke with a nutritionist and my Primary doc and decided i better do something while I am still able to physically. My family has major joint issues so I know sooner or later that will become an issue for me as well. I joined the gym for the City of Sunrise where I live and started working out 3 days a week. That lasted about a month with no results so I made some strict diet changes and now hitting the gym most every day. I have been going for an hour every morning now for 3 weeks and have brought my weight down to 172lbs. I will be dropping back to 5 days a week as I now have a routine worked out that I like. I spend 60 minutes doing aerobic machines. 20 minutes - recumbent bicycle, 20 minutes - elliptical and then another 20 minutes bike. I have worked my way up to level 10 on the bikes and level 7 on the elliptical. After the aerobic workout I hit the machines and target a muscle group each day for 15 minutes. No free weights there but lots of machines. Not the ideal set-up but it is working out good for me so far. I have increased the amount of weight on the machines now by twice what I started out using. My gut has begun to diminish slightly and my body weight has stabilized. My goal is to get back to 175lbs but without the gut. It gets harder and harder to shrink the waistline as I get older and older. I will be 61 this year and am determined to look and feel the best that I ever have. I refuse to give up this time and will accomplish my goal in 2016.