CBR1100XX.org Forum

Workouts

Haven't updated this in a while. I have been doing this for several weeks...or months. I just changed the order since shit kept coming up on Friday/Sat and causing me to miss that workout I moved leg day to Monday.

image.png

I don't have anything as official looking and organized as that, but I did just switch things up a bit 2-3 weeks ago.

I've never assigned days of the weeks, just a progression, as in-

Day 1- Light stretching, legs and back,

Day 2- heavy stretching, cardio.

Day 3- light stretching, chest and shoulders,

Day 4- heavy stretching,cardio and core,

Day 5- off.

Repeat.

That always left me four days of recovery for any specific muscle group.

I decided to see if my old ass could do with a little less recovery. I'm really not hitting it all that hard and work is light right now so I get bored on off days

So now it's-

Day 1- cardio as soon as I wake up, later in the day light stretching, legs and back,

Day 2- heavy stretching and cardio and core.

Day 3- light stretching, chest and shoulders,

Day 4- cardio as soon as I wake up, later in the day light stretching, legs and back,

Day 5- heavy stretching, cardio and core.

Day 6- light stretching, chest and shoulders.

Day 7- Off

So I am on a seven day cycle right now but still not tied to days of the week. If I miss a day due to work, family or whatever I don't feel too bad because all it does is bump me back to a four day cycle, which ain't bad, though I am seeing a little better progress on the three day cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always created or stolen and modified spreadsheets with my workouts on them. I print them out and track sets and weight as well as write the date on the top. I should keep better notes as so how my progress was rather than just numbers. I do typically make a scribble on them about vacations or injuries to explain misses or drops in weight.

I have been doing 27 mins of cycling first thing in the morning before eating. I couldn't decide between steady state cardio or sprints so I am doing 10min steady state, 7 min of 30s/30s sprints and then 10 min more steady state. I always lift in the evening.

I am also planning on adding a short workout for Sat to do some stuff I couldnt or just didnt work into the rest of the week like light power cleans or hang cleans, pull overs, shrugs etc. and maybe a really short heavy bag session.

When I started I had a notebook that a tracked progress and made notes in, that lasted a couple of years. Once I kinda knew what I was doing I developed a couple baseline workouts I’d go back to when I wanted to check progress. I got in the habit of switching things up a lot, both order of exercises and the exercises themselves. Doing the exact same workout every time bores the hell out of me. If there was anything I felt I needed to write down at that point it’d go on the mirror in dry erase marker.

Ive since become very on again, off again...been years since I managed to keep at it year ‘round and my actual workouts are all over the place. Probably why I never make any serious progress, but I’m okay with where I’m at. No notes anymore other than occasionally tracking those same baseline workouts. 

I do oddball stuff like shrugs, etc. at the end of my regular workouts if I can fit them in in under 60 minutes, my “reward” for getting though the main workout quicker, LOL. 

I do cardio in the AM before breakfast as well. I prefer to workout midday, but will fit in in when I can if that doesn’t happen. The biggest pain when it doesn’t is timing my diet.

Funny. I write all over my  mirrors with dry erase markers too. Usually related to my workouts. Weight progressions or new ideas for exercises. Though sometimes my mind wanders and its lists of stuff I need to do around the house etc.

• 3 months later...

I started working out with a friend from church who is pretty skinny...about 131lbs.  In 6 wks working out with me, he is now 142 lbs.  Great gains for him and me working on his gains, has helped my own concentration.  

Now i'm starting to gain some weight.  Went from 203 to about 211 lbs in that same period of 6 wks and my strength is going up.  Flat bench around 275 for 8 reps and 295 for a solid 3 reps.  Haven't done that in years.

Deadlift 365 last night for 3 strong reps.  That felt good! :)  

Feels good to be gaining again.  Grew a beard.  Putting on muscle.  Wife is all over me.  :) 

Edited by TuffguyF4i

On 11/21/2017 at 6:22 PM, RichardCranium said:

Haven't updated this in a while. I have been doing this for several weeks...or months. I just changed the order since shit kept coming up on Friday/Sat and causing me to miss that workout I moved leg day to Monday.

image.png

If you want to mix some things up...Try this low volume (but tough) workout.  Do it 5 times a week and eat like a bear.  

I take a completely different approach as I felt like if I did complementary muscle groups, I would fatigue quickly and then one muscle group would suffer.  I also alternate back and forth between exercises between the workout.  Take day 1...I'd do flat bench,  then deadlift, then incline bench, then pulling movement.  Gives you a chance to recover a bit.  

All exercises 4 sets + warmup and 6-8 rep range 

Day 1:

Chest - 2 exercises, flat and incline

Back - deadlift and some form of pulling movement

Day 2: 

Bicept: curls and hammer curls

Tri: close grip bench press and a heavy extension

misc catchup....shrugs and chest flys

Day 3: 

Legs: Squat and lunges

Shoulders: DB shoulder press and front or rear raises

Repeat

Edited by TuffguyF4i

On 5/5/2016 at 5:59 PM, John01XX said:

Bump this up again!

I have been reluctant to post anything here as it generally fall away from my plan early on. I had never actually be in any kind of workout or exercise routine in my life. I was 135 lbs (skinny) from the time I was a teenager up until about age 45. At 45 I had a roommate that was a little over weight and I wanted to try again to gain some good weight so we found a deal at bally's Fitness here locally. We both got up early (5;30am) three days a week and spent 1.5 hours working out. we did this for just over a year and he lost about 25 lbs and I gained 25lbs. My highest weight was 161 lbs. I was very happy with the results and felt really good with myself. Still slightly thin for 5"11" tall but not skinny like I had always been. My roommate got married and moved out of town and i stopped going to the gym since I had noone to motivate me. I fell back to 150-155 lbs and settled there for over 10 years. Last year for some unknown reason (old age) I suddenly started putting on weight. before I realized it I was up to 176lbs and hated looking at the gut that I developed. Still thin but now thin with a gut! After getting my annual physical this year in late March, I spoke with a nutritionist and my Primary doc and decided i better do something while I am still able to physically. My family has major joint issues so I know sooner or later that will become an issue for me as well. I joined the gym for the City of Sunrise where I live and started working out 3 days a week. That lasted about a month with no results so I made some strict diet changes and now hitting the gym most every day. I have been going for an hour every morning now for 3 weeks and have brought my weight down to 172lbs. I will be dropping back to 5 days a week as I now have a routine worked out that I like. I spend 60 minutes doing aerobic machines. 20 minutes - recumbent bicycle, 20 minutes - elliptical and then another 20 minutes bike. I have worked my way up to level 10 on the bikes and level 7 on the elliptical. After the aerobic workout I hit the machines and target a muscle group each day for 15 minutes. No free weights there but lots of machines. Not the ideal set-up but it is working out good for me so far. I have increased the amount of weight on the machines now by twice what I started out using. My gut has begun to diminish slightly and my body weight has stabilized. My goal is to get back to 175lbs but without the gut. It gets harder and harder to shrink the waistline as I get older and older. I will be 61 this year and am determined to look and feel the best that I ever have. I refuse to give up this time and will accomplish my goal in 2016.

Wow, forgot about this post back in 2016!
Sold my house last year and moved 125 miles north to Vero Beach, FL. Bought a home here and wondered what I could do for physical exercise since I live west of City by about 15 miles. Discovered the county built a beautiful (HUGE) aquatic center about 3/4 of a mile from my house. Annual membership is $120 ! Heated pool all year round and really nice shower/locker room. Joined last October and signed up for the Mile Swim Club. You log your number of laps swam each visit and they keep track of your total distance annually. Every January they have a free luncheon/banquet and everyone gets a certificate showing how many miles you swam for the year. If you exceed 100 miles you get a T-shirt. The last three months of 2017 I swam 54 miles. I had a slow start in January and only swam 15 miles but improved in February (short month) and swam 30 miles. I should have an additional 25 miles this month (March) and have a goal of swimming a minimum of 20 miles a month. This month has been tough because of being away for RacerXX and two weekends the pool was closed due to a big swim meet reserving the facility.  This past Sunday I had the time and got into a groove and swam 2 miles. A first for me but killed me the following day forcing out another mile. I have to build up slower for that to happen again! 
I really enjoy the workout and is really good for my arthritic joints at the same time. MY Doc tells me to keep it up. My first time doing any serious swimming since I got out of the Navy in 1978 . My form is terrible and I wish I had an oxygen tank on the side of the pool sometimes! Smoking for 37 years has left its mark but quitting 10 years ago is enabling me to work my way back to decent respiratory health. 

I am maintaining my weight at 170 lbs but trimming up to my liking. I dream about having some ABs showing but at 62 years old that will probably not happen. Still healthy, fun and enjoyable. 

5abc2e8be20b4_aquaticcenter.jpg.5f9728e96a55e19e1fd211e304e2f1a7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/7/2018 at 12:39 PM, TuffguyF4i said:

Bullshit.  At 65 you can get muscle and abs.  Don't be lazy.

No laziness here!

I started the year with a goal of 300 miles for the year. 25 miles per month.
Adjusted the goal to 30 miles a month. 360 miles for the year.

As of June 1st I have 152.91 miles completed.  (5 mths)

June 1st thru the 9th (today) I have added 15.37 miles. 

Total to date; 168.28 miles. Looking to be at 190+ miles by the end of the month.

If I keep this up, I may change the goal to 400 miles for the year.

I am not interested in muscle mass per se. I don't have the bone structure or genetics for bulk.

I am only interested in getting trim and healthy. I like the 170 lb size for my 5'10" height.

I have actually dropped a couple pounds as of this morning. 168 lbs currently.

I also start my day each morning with stretching and a set of 100 situps for the core/abs.

Just added a set of 20 dips immediately after swimming, daily.

Swimming is great for my arthritis, says my doctor.

Edited by John01XX

• 6 months later...

Whats everyone doing for fitness? Any new routines kicking in for the new year?

I have still been plugging away. Tweaking my workout occasionally to try to meet a new goal or occasionally to alleviate some joint or muscle irritation.

I am  going to recommit to getting my cardio going every morning at least 5 days a week.

My current routine is similar to one I posted earlier with a few tweaks.  So far I like it. The 1.5 rep set incline bench is interesting. Each rep you go down and back up halfway then up. I haven't been doing it long but it is definitely harder if nothing else. Also added a pause at the bottom of my squats to keep from bouncing. Definitely harder. Also just added calf work every day. Should be a fun experiment to see if I can get my tiny calves to grow.

image.png

For cardio my plan is doing some HIIT on the AirDyne in the morning. I might also add something on my non lifting day which is typically Wed.

Been doing pretty much the same thing here as last time I posted, albeit with about a 3.5 month break August-November. Been back at it pretty good since a little before Thanksgiving. I lift every other day alternating between legs/back and chest/shoulders.

Cardio on most days in between. If I feel like a day off I'll skip a cardio every once in a while, but I try to do something every day, even if it's minor. Cardio is either the bike if the weather is semi-decent of the elliptical if it's not. Been spending a lot of time on the elliptical lately.

All that said, my goals/priorities/methods have shifted considerably over the last 2-3 years. I don't go heavy anymore and stopped caring how much weight is on the bar as long as it's as much or a little more than the last time. As I get older it's become more about general fitness than getting huge or ripped, neither of which I had much success at even when I was younger, anyway. So lifting weights is now just one component of me trying to put off old age a little longer. Strength, cardio and flexibility all get attention now.

edit- just read through this thread and realized my last two posts on the subject have said pretty much the exact same thing I said here. LOL.