CBR1100XX.org Forum

any suggestion on new tires?

aholexx

Get the round ones.

I like the M1 Sportecs (thanks mac) for sportier type stuff, but you can't beat Avons as an "all around" good tire. The Avons last about twice as long as the Metzlers, so it depends on what you're doin' with 'em- like Joe said.

AAAAHHHHH!!!! The Florida contingent grows! Get the Avon 45, 46's.......you wont be disappointed. Great wet and dry grip( all the way to the edges). I'm on my first set but look to be doin great on mileage.

oem bt57's will get you high mileage but less sport grip. i've gotten as high as 13k on a front and 8-9k on a rear.

running pilot roads now, undecided on conclusion, but like them so far (1000 or so miles)

I like my Avon 45/46's. As noted above, they handle great, the grip is good and they look like they will last longer than the Dunlop 207's they replaced.

XX wrote: "oem bt57's will get you high mileage but less sport grip. i've gotten as high as 13k on a front and 8-9k on a rear."

That sounds like exceptional mileage on the oem bt57s. I'm nearing 5000 kilometers on mine and my rear tire looks like it's got about maybe 500 kilometers left on it.

I'm thinking seriously of switching to the new Metzler MEZ6's. In terms of stickiness, they're not that far off from the M1 sportecs according to Metz, but promise more mileage. I haven't tried them yet, but I did examine them closely while I was at the Metzler dealership last week.

Anyone else looked at these new tires?

Lynx60

I just finished reading a review on the ME-Z6's in the new Motorcycle Consumer News. They seemed to like them on an Aprilla Mille. MCN reports the "constant radius" of the Z6's slowed the handling down on the Mille, but they thought they were more stable than the OEM Michelins.

I've been looking at those new Metzlers as well. I think they're calling 'em "Roadtecs". Any idea when/where they might be available? I've only looked online, and no one is listing them yet.

I like the M1s, but don't really care for the MEZ4 out back, which I've been running for my longer trips. So, if I'm gonna stick with Metzler, they're gonna need a better sport touring rear, hopefully this new tire is it.

XX wrote: "oem bt57's will get you high mileage but less sport grip. i've gotten as high as 13k on a front and 8-9k on a rear."

That sounds like exceptional mileage on the oem bt57s. I'm nearing 5000 kilometers on mine and my rear tire looks like it's got about maybe 500 kilometers left on it.

Bear in mind my riding at the time 95% commute straight up, and 5% sport, leaned over...

Redbird: yes, the new Metzler MEZ6s are called "Roadtecs." They are already available here in Taiwan, at least for the XX anyway, although I don't think they have arrived here in huge quantity. What I've seen is only one set of these MEZ6s at the Metzler tire dealership. More of these, and in different sizes, may be enroute after the new year. As it now stands, I've "got my name on" this solitary set of Z6s that the dealer has; he's just waiting for me to scrub off the remaining rubber on my BT057s so he can mount the Z6s on my bike. Probably will do that next week, weather permitting. Lynx60

In one case the guy was running on a TL at about 120. We did that for about 10 minutes. But I've run at 180 for 10 minutes followed by 145 for another 15 without blowing up a tire... Another guy was on the track, and the third was just riding down the road as a bubble formed on the side of the tire.

Then there are all the well-publicized Dunlop failures the racers have had.

Just got a front metzler sportek from cycle gear in ft.worth,tx. I took wheel off, carried in, waited maybe 15 mins.,paid $111.48,and left with the new tire mounted & balanced.I still can't belive how easy/cheap it was. I like them metzlers.