CBR1100XX.org Forum

Propane heater Q.

RichardCranium

Anyone see an issue with me installing a propane heater in my garage? I have the 3rd bay dedicated to my home gym and during the winter months it gets colder than a witches tit in there. I figure I would fire it up just before my workout and probably run it for the duration of my workout depending on how quickly it warms up. Would there be an issue with fumes or anything due to it being in close proximity to where I'm going to be workout out?

I was planning on using a regular ventless home heater type.

Something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

Any advantage in using infra-red?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I got this for working in the garage.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/mr-heater...eater-515891469

Not the exact model, I think mine is only up to 55000 btu. Either way, it sounds like a jet taking off when it's fired up full blast.

I can heat my garage from 20F to 75F in about 5 minutes. I think if I was working out in the garage, I would light this puppy, get a towel, come back and turn it off and use electric heat to maintain the temp till I was done. I use this in my garage and fire it about every 30 minutes when I start getting cold. Just long enough to get a drink or wipe my hands and I am toasty again.

I just bought the one Josh has. It heats my 2 bay garage to 80 degrees in about 5 minutes. I got it fro

Tractor Supply. It's a Mr Heater 35,000 55,000 BTU. On the 35,000 setting a 20lb tank lasts 12 hours.

The directions clearly state you need to open the garage door 12 inches while it's on.

5 minutes with it's powerful fan gets my garage to 80 from 30 degrees.

After I heat it up I shut the door. Not once has my carbon monoxide detector registered any signs.

I paid $79.99 for the unit.

Brett, here's what I have and it will warm my garage from zero to 55 in about an hour.

Electric is fast but more expensive but if you're only going to use it for an hour a day.............

qmark_lfkmed.jpg

Thats not bad either. I was thinking propane because we now have a 500 gal propane tank that we are basically not using. There is a stub in the garage for the water heater I could use to connect a heater. Electric would be pretty simple too though since our panels are there but I would still have to have a 220 outlet put in.

If you have a propane tank that you're not using, then that seems like the likely route. Especially with the claimed heat times from some of the above posts. Heating a complete 2 car garage in just a few minutes seems unrealistic but......

Josh will tell you, the fan is powerful and the blast of heat is a serious one. It's like a blow torch with a fan.....

Just remember that anything with a flame is consuming oxygen, and throwing off carbon monoxide.

Keep the garage door open a bit and let some fresh air circulate.

What about shutting the garage AFTER the burner has heated up the garage and is off? OK to shut then?

What about shutting the garage AFTER the burner has heated up the garage and is off? OK to shut then?

As long as you don't close it while the heater is going you should be fine. Once the heater is off it isn't consuming Oxygen or putting off any exhaust.

Your garage is probably leaky enough that CO isn't going to be an issue.

I ran a kerosene salimander in a garage almost every day for a year and aI have a brain cell or two left.

How cold is a witches tit? How warm do you want it to get, and how fast?

I'm afraid 20k BTU isn't gonna make much of a dent in the temp until long after your workout is done. Or are you planning to position it to heat you rather than the garage?

Your garage is probably leaky enough that CO isn't going to be an issue.

I ran a kerosene salimander in a garage almost every day for a year and aI have a brain cell or two left.

How cold is a witches tit? How warm do you want it to get, and how fast?

I'm afraid 20k BTU isn't gonna make much of a dent in the temp until long after your workout is done. Or are you planning to position it to heat you rather than the garage?

I just want it to warm up a small area. Ill see if I can put in a pic that shows it. It doesn't get super cold here normally. Very cold is normally in the 20's and its not that cold much. Prob 30s for the most part.

The heater will be sitting where the little dumbell rack is in these pics. Edit: Cant really see the rack that well. To the right side of the pic right by the back door.

normal_homegym1.jpg

normal_homegym3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you close off that area with some plastic or something I think you're gonna have a hard time warming just that 3rd bay. I suppose it would be warmer in the immediate vicinity of the heater....

Maybe you should just chase the wife around the house a bit to get the blood pumping before you go out there. :icon_biggrin: