CBR1100XX.org Forum

Thermopane Windows

Crusty

I started a thread in the Pub about a rant, the window was replaced but I have questions regarding the spacer used in thermopane windows. The old windows seem to have a metal center, and the replacement window seems to have a plastic one. Not apparent from the photos that are attached, the new replacement plastic is black and looks the shits compared to the metal on the original window.

I was trying to find out of the standard centers are all black or metal, or are there options to be had as far as the centers go,when ordering new windows depending on the price etc.?

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=63786

Go to post number 8 in the thread

TIA

James when I replace windows its sometimes hard to get an exact replacement. The original manufacture does not sell panes in most cases, unless you want to spend big bucks to have them make you one. A local window guy will be hard pressed to get the right materials/colors to get an exact match for a replacement window.

Before you had him make it you should have specified exactly that you want, a "matching" window. He may have been able to do it, he might not have!

'

I have not been able to get an "exact match" on any window replacements....................

James when I replace windows its sometimes hard to get an exact replacement. The original manufacture does not sell panes in most cases, unless you want to spend big bucks to have them make you one. A local window guy will be hard pressed to get the right materials/colors to get an exact match for a replacement window.

Before you had him make it you should have specified exactly that you want, a "matching" window. He may have been able to do it, he might not have!

'

I have not been able to get an "exact match" on any window replacements....................

Ok. Fantastic info for me. Thanks again, thats all I needed to know. I was told getting a matching window as a replacement, is not common unless by the original supplier/mfg. So as long as the window is in and replaced, I guess that's all the matters. :icon_biggrin:

• 1 month later...
It seems that newer windows are going to plastic/composite spacers because they transfer less heat than metal spacers which increases the energy rating of the window assembly.

Thanks for the feed back!

• 1 month later...

I was in the same boat, thinking I had to replace a few poorly functioning windows... Cost was going to be considerable for replacements (custom builds, as the OEM windows were now obsolete). The more I looked into it, the more I realized all the windows in the house were no longer up to snuff... and it's big house with 31 windows.

There's really very few options, so I'm biting the bullet - all new vinyl double hung, argon filled, low-E glass, energy star rated, lifetime warranty, etc... about $16K installed.

The kicker..? All the federal energy incentives don't apply because it's a second (vacation) home...

Thank you very much, Mr. President...

:icon_rolleyes:

The kicker..? All the federal energy incentives don't apply because it's a second (vacation) home...

You obviously don't need a tax break because you have too much money already to be able to afford a second home. And the money you have you must have gotten by oppressing the poor and minorities.

You obviously don't need a tax break because you have too much money already to be able to afford a second home. And the money you have you must have gotten by oppressing the poor and minorities.

...Of course, from my years at Exxon... now where did I leave that Madoff secret signet ring..?