CBR1100XX.org Forum

New home needs

sprack

We're buying our first home wednesday (17th) and I'm trying to make a list of stuff to buy ahead of time. 7 years in apartments and I can finally stop having to listen to upstairs and side neighbors music/arguments/cabinets and drawers slamming and start the joys of keeping up w/ a HOA. :wink:

We've got 3 extra bedrooms so if any of the Texas crew or others are passing through and need a place to crash or just sit out on the driveway and drink let me know. I'm 2mi from 1431 and Limecreek is maybe 5-6mi.

I'd appreciate any advice/tips you guys can offer to avoid having to run to the store 2-3 times a day for the first month. Never having had to take care of the place myself, especially a yard I'm not sure on everything. Its a new home, just did the final walk today. So far we've got:

fridge

water softener

blinds

hoses + attachments

rakes

brooms

shovel

ladder

(already have a ton of extension cords)

beer

pizza

Anything essential missing?

Don't forget stupid things like light bulbs and lamps for the rooms that don't have installed lighting. On the other hand, don't go overboard buying stuff right away when you're in a rush and emotional. Take your time deciding what you need and how much you want to spend now vs. later.

Now, you forgot the important stuff: Garage size, amp capacity of its electrical circuits, and what size compressor you're going to fit in there.

And if you're going to be doing any little jobs around the place, check out that B&D power tool set I mentioned in another post. It really has been nice for the current remodeling I'm going. I never figured a battery-powered circular saw and some of that other stuff would be any good, but they've been huge time-savers.

Thanks RC. Those are on my list for the spring. Shouldn't need them during the 'winter', I use that term loosely in Texas.

I got a 2 car garage. I couldn't afford the 3-5 car houses I wanted, so the wife and I compromised (that's what marriage is about, or so I'm told). I had a 220V/50A circuit installed, 5 extra GFI in the garage, 3 extra outside the house, a gas line to the rear patio, flood and carriage lamps front and back. And she has to park the car outside, the garage is only for bikes and tools.

Here are some pics from November. Should have some current ones later today to post.

House-street.jpg

home-front-offset.jpg

house-back.jpg

Floorplan:

floorplan.jpg

Congrats.

I close on my new house today.

I would echo the other comments on not rushing into buying things you may not need/want later.

For example I am not sure what kind of blinds I want on my windows, so I am going to go to Home Depot and buy some of their $5 blinds. They actually look pretty good and should suffice for a month or so until I decide what I want.

This is my 3rd house and you can get sucked into spending a lot of money real fast, so just take your time until you are sure what you want.

Congrats right back azxr. Prolly not as nervous as me about it, but it's exciting nonetheless.

Blinds. Theres a wallet killer. On the advice of some friends we joined one of those direct buy places. Saved about $1000 on blinds for the house. 27 windows, I'm screwed.

Congrats.

I close on my new house today.

I would echo the other comments on not rushing into buying things you may not need/want later.

For example I am not sure what kind of blinds I want on my windows, so I am going to go to Home Depot and buy some of their $5 blinds. They actually look pretty good and should suffice for a month or so until I decide what I want.

This is my 3rd house and you can get sucked into spending a lot of money real fast, so just take your time until you are sure what you want.

Ah, good work, very sneaky! We won't tell the wife. I can obviously see your plan to eventually annex Bedroom 3 into the garage by simply knocking out a wall. Let me guess, you'll call it a "storage room" and pile some boxes right by the door, implying the room is full. Then you make the hole in the garage and build a "door" from cardboard boxes, so only you have access to the hidden free space in the former bedroom.

Very good, I like it.

Wow. Carlos you're amazing. I hadn't even told my wife about that idea and you read my mind 2 states away. The problem lies in how to break it to the wife. She won't take it well when she finds out, but by then it should be too late.

Ah, good work, very sneaky! We won't tell the wife. I can obviously see your plan to eventually annex Bedroom 3 into the garage by simply knocking out a wall. Let me guess, you'll call it a "storage room" and pile some boxes right by the door, implying the room is full. Then you make the hole in the garage and build a "door" from cardboard boxes, so only you have access to the hidden free space in the former bedroom.

Very good, I like it.

The "cathedral" was $200k. All the houses I saw w/ 3-5 car garages started around $300. Can't afford that.

I couldn't afford the 3-5 car houses I wanted

I'm looking at the pictures of that cathedral and trying to figure out why they just don't seem to mesh with that statement...... :shock:

Here's the most current pic:

House-Final.jpg

First part's done now starts the real work. Closing took almost 4 hours yesterday because my mortgage officer screwed me at the last second and changed my second lein from a 15yr fixed to a 15yr amortized over 30yrs with a balloon at the end. Still pisses me off. I had the option of holding closing until next year when they could rework the 2nd lein at a new rate (correct amortization) or bite it now. Basically it works out the same in the end if I make 2 payments/month, 1 for P&I and 1 for principal. Just the fact the he tried to pull it off really pisses me off though. Anyone have suggestions on how to get him in a whole lot of hot water?

• 3 weeks later...
Just the fact the he tried to pull it off really pisses me off though. Anyone have suggestions on how to get him in a whole lot of hot water?

Have any friends willing to help you set him up? Get him hooked up with a chick, take video, send to his wife. Sure he was set up...

Or, show up at his house late one night, turn off water at the main. Show up a week later cut power and phone, put a case of tidy bowl in his pool.

Awesome house though. Congrats