CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID installation

rhubarbray

After seeing the shocking difference between the stock bulb and the HID at the NEXXT pavillion I`m going to order the dual kit from DDM Tuning ( thanks Hank ). Does the `bird have an H7 or an H4 type bulb base? And I believe someone recommended putting a garden hose washer under the bulb to shim it out and create a tighter seal? Sorry, can`t remember who it was.

What you were looking at was the 55 watt ballasts with 5000 kelvin H-7 bulbs.

I would consider the 4300-4500 bulb color as closer to sunlight (slight yellow tint) as the 5000 is a brilliant white. As far as the washer goes, that was Toynut's suggestion and a good one. I used the supplied spacers and trimmed them on a grinder to fit. After seeing the mods on your bike, I'm sure you will have no trouble doing so, but either way will work.

Hank

H7

I got the 5000 55w and it is a brilliant, unnatural white that really lights up the night. be sure to get two and be sure to specify 55w for each. on my '99, it was plug and play - no extra sealing needed. a little dielectric grease for the connections maybe.

A couple questions:

1-Will these fit on my '98 XX (assuming I get the garden hose washer?)

2-So you just order 2 of these for the kit? So is the high beam and the low beam the same bulb?

xxlights.jpg

One of the choices on the site is for 2 assemblies...You then order the 55 watt ballasts (if desired) and choose your bulb color...Definitely will fit 97-98

A couple questions:

1-Will these fit on my '98 XX (assuming I get the garden hose washer?)

2-So you just order 2 of these for the kit? So is the high beam and the low beam the same bulb?

xxlights.jpg

One of the choices on the site is for 2 assemblies...You then order the 55 watt ballasts (if desired) and choose your bulb color...Definitely will fit 97-98

I would not recommend you opt for bulbs with a color temp much higher than 4500K. According to DDM, the color of the light with a 55 watt ballast will be between 4000-4500K with a 4500 -5000K bulb. This is pretty close to optimal for best rider vision in the dark (actually, 3500 works quit well too). They won't be as bothersome to LEOs as well. Forget the 6000K and higher bulb temps if you really want to keep your visual acuity at night at it's optimum level.

I just ordered them tonight and I can`t believe a PAIR of the 55w light assemblies was only $80!! With a lifetime warranty!!

I got the 4500K bulbs so we`ll wait and see when they come in.

Does it still feel a little like Christmas even if you buy your own gifts?

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a pair for my 2001. I left the old ones in my 1998 when I sold it. Less than half what I paid for the last pair, and half the size!

Why is everything about size with you? :icon_whistle:

Very cool cant wait to see the blue

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a pair for my 2001. I left the old ones in my 1998 when I sold it. Less than half what I paid for the last pair, and half the size!

Why is everything about size with you? :icon_whistle:

Very cool cant wait to see the blue

It's not about the size........,

it's all about the intensity! :icon_liar:

Make sure when you wire them up that you use really solid connectors. I used some cheaper push fit connectors, and I must have been loosing voltage because of them. The lights would sometimes flicker on start up.

I soldered all of the mechanical connectors to the backs of the connectors (normally just crimped) to improve the connection. Haven't had a problem since.

Put a switch in for your low beam so you don't double the amount of unneeded starts for the HID system.

I just got the assemblies from DDM and I`m wondering how to mount them. The cables are quite short restricting where I can put them. One of the things I was wondering was how hot do the ballasts get? Do I need to insulate if I`m putting them near plastic?

Mine didn't get very warm at all...

I used the double sided tape supplied and stuck them to the inside of the fairing, added a little Gorilla Tape for good luck, then reinstalled the fairing. They ain't hangin out the bottom yet..LOL

I believe the FI bikes have a shelf right below the headlight that some of the guys use...

Don't overengineer it and you'll be fine...Hank

I believe the FI bikes have a shelf right below the headlight that some of the guys use...

shelf is not big enough for the two. inside the side fairing works perfectly.