CBR1100XX.org Forum

thermal barrier

cbrxxquad

Sounds no better than standard polyurethane foam spray roof coating, exept for the RF thing. If you have a cell phone, will you lose service? I think if you are paranoid and need rf insulation, you might as well cut all your phone lines, cable and electrical service, because apparently all of that can be tapped. Don't ask me to reference this, it's just what I have picked up and I might be wrong.

In the end, nobody really wants to pay more for what may be insignificant to the user. If someone is going to sell their home in the near future and needs a roof, why pay a dime more for anything more than what is needed to sell the house? Might work in the high end market, but the consumer will just take what the first guy listed in the yellow pages offers when they need work done.

good point, will have to ask the guy about that.

He called today, comes in 1/2 inch at 50 a sheet and 1" at 92

He said it is basically aluminum and air gap layered. has been used as decking. Interior walls in a shop helps with lighting.

I've seen similar material used to insulate workshops. It works extremely well. I really wouldn't want the RF barrier though. I need to be able to get calls/pages when I'm in the shop sometimes. I was quoted around $1200 to do my 24x30x11 shop but thats while they are building it. Retrofitting it would be insane. It would be a good thing to have done if you are replacing a roof though.

• 2 years later...

We had to replace our roof in San Antonio in '09. After it was installed and new insulation blown in (R-60), a contractor providing a similar radiant barrier (roof/attic application) made an inspection in preparation of an estimate. He was candid and admitted that it wouldn't be cost effective in our case. I appreciated his honesty. The extra insulation and an efficient soffit/ridge vent system made a drastic difference in keeping the house warm/cool.