CBR1100XX.org Forum

Maximum Lean Angle

runner

Tough question....assuming ideal conditions:

No traffic, DRY road, good tires.

How do YOU judge your maximum lean angle for spirited riding on the Bird (I know the chicken strips inspection,etc.)

Do many of you use the pegs as feelers?

If so, how close is this to courting trouble?

I usually hang off with my boot being the feeler with just a little space before the peg starts dragging...what works for you?

I honestly don't give lean angle any thought.

My judgement is whether or not I can make the corner at a given speed. If I overcook it, then I need to dig deeper and look further into the turn. Hopefully I don't lowside doing it :icon_biggrin:

"Lean angle" ( btw,of what ? bike or bike and rider combo ? ),rather vogue term, it is just one of many variables involved in cornering.Your throttle/brake application,body position,suspension settings,etc.,it all matters.

"Lean angle" by itself does not tell how close tires are to limit of the traction.Lesser rider can wipe out on same bike/tires at much lower LA then experten.

Personally, I don`t pay attention to lean angle unless the shit starts to dig into an asphalt.You need to go by the feel and try to listen to your tires.