CBR1100XX.org Forum

Land line troubles

RXX

Funny thing is, we have wireless internet through the phone line and it is working fine. I can dial in/out at the box too, so service is OK. I have unhooked all the phones but still cannot find a culprit. I cleaned the wires at the junction box. I am at a loss.

I would just as soon dump the land line, but wifey is tethered to it for sentimental reasons.

Any suggestions?

So you can connect to the box and it works, but on your house wiring, its inoperative. All your phones AND all your devices are disconnected? Answering machines, television boxes, etc?

Is there more than one set of lines connected to the box? If so, try with only one connected. If that doesn't work, put new cable on with a jack, and connect a phone to that. If that doesn't work, your problem is the connector in the box. If not, you've got a short someplace in the house wiring, and good luck with that unless you have a circuit tracer.

We have had our DVR get smoked by lightning and cause our phones to go completely dead.

If you have any sort of cable/sat box plugged into a phone line unplug it and recheck.

Belay this thread..... problem identified and corrective actions successful. The line from the environmental box led to a previously overlooked manifold. wires cleaned, greased, reinstalled. You guessed it....corrosion.

Now that I am off the ladder,do I deserve a beer or three???

Yes you do! Good boy, Pepe!

I can now look wifey in the eye since she won't begrudge the insane amount of time I am spending in the shop working on Birdie.

Isn't it amazing how a good wife will be thrilled with just the smallest amount of work around the house a husband will do?

(Just don't let them get used toit!)